GreaseSpot Cafe

Flax Seed

Cowgirl

I know how beneficial flax seed is in a healthy eating, but I was just reading a study where they were stating that even grinding or millling the flax seed, you still won't receive the all the benefits and I know there is the oil you can take, but I wanted to know if anyone here has ever sprouted flax seed and if so how did you go about doing it?

Cowgirl

Never sprouted them but perhaps I will try. Use them in a lot of things, baking, on cereal, even as a neck warmer. Sew some cloth together the size you want. Fill with flax seeds. sew the end shut. warm in the microwave no more than 3 minutes and use on neck, back stomach, anywhwere you want to apply heat to an area. You can use it over and over again.

I have sprouted all the common seeds such as mung bean, peas, alfalfa, lentle, etc. but never flax. You can find any kind of info you need on the procedure online and the necessary eqt. at any local health food store. Sprouts, in general, are very high in B vitamins. Flax are quite hardshelled so they may take a bit longer than others. My personal experience with sprouting is that the rinsing process is vitally important. I would think that the nutritional benfits of sprouted flax would be somewhat different than that of using raw seeds or cold pressed oil. Also, it is my understanding that some seeds take on a toxic quality in the sprout stage. I don't now if that applies to flax. When your sprouts reach the desired stage of developement it is important to refrigerate them to inhibit the growth process but they will get moldy if you don't keep them rinsed. Sprouting is super easy and it gives you a sense of having taken an active part in your nutrition.

It's been forever and a day since I did this so you should verify my info.

At most health food stores you can purchase a sprouting "kit". It is really just a Mason jar and a set of plastic lids that have different sized holes(like a window screen). You can do the same thing with cheeze cloth and a rubber band but the lids are more sanitary as you can put them in the dishwasher. You put the seeds in the jar and select the correct sized lid. Fill with water and drain a couple times to clean the seeds. Fill with water and let set overnight. In the morning, drain, rinse and lay the jar on its side.(not in direct sunlight) Rinse 2 or 3 times a day to keep mold from growing. Laying jar on its side spreads the seeds out so they are evenly exposed. That's all there is to it. Consume them before they get past the sprout phase or they will get quite bitter. Refrigerate to stop the growth process. Remember that a small quantity becomes a jar full as they sprout. Check to make sure the seeds you want to sprout are not a type that produces toxins. If you stick to the old "standbys" that shouldn't be a problem.