GreaseSpot Cafe

Meatballs

Nottawayfer

It might help if you would take us through your process of making them, Notta.

I start with 80% fat ground beef because I don't think less fat will give me a tender meatball. Then I add bread crumbs about 1/2 cup per pound of meat, and then season with usually garlic salt and pepper usually.

I never claimed to be Italian, but I love meatballs.

I start with 80% fat ground beef because I don't think less fat will give me a tender meatball. Then I add bread crumbs about 1/2 cup per pound of meat, and then season with usually garlic salt and pepper usually.

I never claimed to be Italian, but I love meatballs.

Notta,

Add about 3- 4 eggs per pound of meat, and enough Italian bread crumbs to almost take up the eggs (the mixture should still be a little on the wet side.) Then, DO NOT COMPRESS THE MEAT INTO SHAPE. (I use a fork to shape the meatballs. Then I only lighty brown them in pan so that they maintain their shape when I through them in the sauce. This allows the eggs to expand a bit and take on the liquid they are cooking in (In my case this would be Italian sauce - but I have seen meatballs in Italian chicken noodle soup as well.) I add garlic powder, basil, oregano, celery seed, a bit of salt, and a very tiny pinch of nutmeg.)

Let me know how that works for you....

On the other hand, I read somewhere that with Swedish meatballs you DO compress them - because they are supposed to be kinda firm.

It might help if you would take us through your process of making them, Notta.

Sushi - there's something slightly unsettling about the image of putting on gloves in the Kitchen Forum - maybe I keep imagining House asking someone to turn their head and cough....... :blink:

Then, DO NOT COMPRESS THE MEAT INTO SHAPE.

I agree with this. When my mother would make meatballs, she would just use her hands (seems a lot more convenient too, since hands are, well, 'handy'. :biglaugh: )

You get an amount of meat, and turn your hands in a circular motion, and the ball will form.

it's good and the meatballs come out best if you bake them (less grease) IMHO...

My mother also did this, but only until they were about half done. She cooked them the rest of the way in the sauce, like Dooj. She would have the sauce on the stove for about 3-4 hours, or when she remembered they were there. :biglaugh:

I tried to cook the meatballs partially in the oven - but its not the same. I just spray a bit of olive oil in my cast iron skillet and brown the meatballs. I only use very lean meat and I skim any fat of the top of the sauce if it's needed.

I never cook sauce more than 2 hours.

Notta - the ingredients I gave were for Italian meatballs, as I'm sure you noticed. Use your recipe for albondigas and add the eggs and adjust the breadcrumbs.

Happy Eating! Let us know how that works for you!

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry, Chas her theory doesn't pan out. I've fried in extra virgin olive oil for years and no bitter taste. - Now you CAN'T do the deep frying thing, but you can fry and saute.

Indeed... and on the Food Channel, just about every use of oil in cooking, except for deep frying, they (practically all of the chefs/cooks) all use EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)... and nutritionists looooooovve EVOO for it being high in monounsaturated fats.

My recipe for meatballs -- buy them frozen at Trader Joe's... they have some nice turkey meatballs that heat up quickly in the m/w.

But, if I were to actually make them, I'd go with the Progresso (seasoned) Bread Crumbs (my mom used those when I was a kid, I loved 'em) and indeed need to use eggs. :)

Yes, I grew up using Progresso Italian Bread Crumbs. And we added Romano cheese as well.

I have gotten compliments on my sauce and meatballs from everyone that's tasted them. Now if you want to get fancy - you make bracciole..... next post.

Now if you want to get fancy - you make bracciole..... next post.

Mmmmmmmm....bracciole...and everyone should have a recipe for bracciole internalized, engraved on the palate! Delectable!

(or really crap if you got stiffed with a crummy recipe)

Now I know what's for dinner tomorrow.

~QT

Ok I have to admit when I saw the title of your post Notta my mind went in the gutter. I have been single too long I think, but I like it that way.

As for meatballs. Well I have to admit I have never made them I like ground beef mixed in with my sauces. I did work at an Italian restaurant and the chef there made the most delicious meat balls I had ever tasted. Tender and seasoned just right. Now you got my mouth watering for Pepe's spaghetti and meatballs. Maybe I should find pepe and see if he will part with his recipe if he is still alive, its been 20 years. But I doubt I will get him to do give up his recipe.

Ok I have to admit when I saw the title of your post Notta my mind went in the gutter. I have been single too long I think, but I like it that way.

As for meatballs. Well I have to admit I have never made them I like ground beef mixed in with my sauces. I did work at an Italian restaurant and the chef there made the most delicious meat balls I had ever tasted. Tender and seasoned just right. Now you got my mouth watering for Pepe's spaghetti and meatballs. Maybe I should find pepe and see if he will part with his recipe if he is still alive, its been 20 years. But I doubt I will get him to do give up his recipe.

Your post made me think of the SNL skit about Schwetty Balls - when Alec Baldwin guest hosted... it's a scream!

I don't want to argue that with anyone's mother-in-law! That doesn't mean that you can't sneak when she's not looking..... :evildenk::biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Edited by doojable