GreaseSpot Cafe

Free historical music downloads

Linda Z

I know there are several musicians and lots of music lovers hanging out here. I've stumbled across a Web site that some of you might enjoy, if you're into old recordings.

The University of California at Santa Barbara has a collection of early 20th-century cylinder recordings that it has put on the Web to download for free or listen to online. You can seaarch the collection or browse the entire list, which is broken down in several different ways (instrument, topic, type of music, etc.)

DMiller, there's a section with 18 fiddle tunes from 1908-13.

There are also sermons and other nonmusic recordings.

From the site:

Cylinder recordings, the first commercially produced sound recordings, are a snapshot of musical and popular culture in the decades around the turn of the 20th century. They have long held the fascination of collectors and have presented challenges for playback and preservation by archives and collectors alike.

With funding from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, the UCSB Libraries have created a digital collection of over 6,000 cylinder recordings held by the Department of Special Collections. In an effort to bring these recordings to a wider audience, they can be freely downloaded or streamed online.

Check it out HERE

I can't get the link to work, so in case no one else can either, I'll do it the old-fashioned way:

http://cylinders.library.ucsb.edu/index.php

Edited by Linda Z

Wow! I dont know whether to say thanks or to complain :wink2: I am gonna be stuck in front of my computer for another eon now....

This is an amazing treasure trove, I am listening to Stephen Foster songs recorded on banjo in 1906 right now

dang...and I though I was going to have a productive day ....well so much for that idea!

This is great--Thanks!!

You're welcome. I think it's fascinating stuff.

MStar, I hear ya. I was innocently cleaning out my e-mail box, which led to an e-genealogy newsletter I get, which led to a blog, which led to that site. No wonder I never finish half of what I want to get done on weekends!

• 3 months later...