GreaseSpot Cafe

A Birth Day/Thanksgiving Day to remember

suz

What was I doing 24 yrs ago today you ask? November 23, 1978- Let me say, it's kind of a funny story, not your typical Thanksgiving day story at all.

I lived in So Cal (Reseda) with my best friend Jewel, her son Kelly who was 12, and my son Jason who was 6. I was seperated from the then husband and ready to give birth. A friend (from WA)came to visit and he left our house about midnight. Sure enough I went into labor. Normally this would not have been much of a problem but.....

It was Thanksgiving day. Jewel was the branch leader and I was hosting a house of 12 guests for dinner!!!(she was suppossed to go to Randy & Desere' Feeses for a corpse dinner). Realizing I was responsible for the dinner I decided to

1)take a shower

2)stuff the turkey and get it cooking

3)do whatever else I could for the dinner knowing I probably wouldn't be able to help.

I awoke Jewel telling her our plans were on hold but not to worry cause everything else was in place. I went to my room and started the breathing, birthing process. I knew this wasn't going to be a slam dunk so I called the midwife and told her that one bird was in the oven and the other was ready to come out.

Oh did I forget to mention that this was going to be a home birth, midwife, etc??? details details

Anyway the midwife showed up early and checked me and sure enough this was not going to be that quick, good enough for Jewel to NOT to have to do her corpse dinner thing, so she called and thankfully canceled. Well since she wasn't going to be at Randy's they choose to come to the birth!! Actually Randy turned out to be a wonderful coach, holding my hand and helping me breathe and calming me. My coach was suppossed to be Jewel but she forgot to mention she gets freaked out in those type situations.

What about dinner you ask?? Well we called everyone who was suppossed to be there at 2pm and told them to come at 6pm instead. Marvin and Amy came over early and helped get the whole dinner going while my coaches helped me birth an 8lb boy, my Daniel Joseph. The turkey came OUT of the oven with a houseful of folks there to greet him into the world.

I had him about 2:30pm I believe, and dinner was still at 6pm and boy was I hungry! Marvin, an old farmer, was right there helping the new heifer while his lovely wife Amy fed the momma cow. Dinner never tasted so good (we played pass the baby)and everyone was pretty excited to hold a child only hours old. There was still at least 12 people there, Randy and Desiree' went home and it was a day to remember.

Never had another Thanksgiving like that, thankfully. Almost did Christmas though, my last child's birthday is Dec 23rd....whole nother story there.

Suz

Great story, suz! I can't believe Daniel is 24. I still think one of the funniest things that ever happened to Tyler was having to go to school (in Rome City) and try to explain to his teacher that he DID do his homework, but a little kid in the dorm had peed on it. It still makes me chuckle.

Happy b'day, Daniel!!

Linda

• 4 months later...