GreaseSpot Cafe

It is really hard for me to come clean, but here goes

anothen

I don't think I am making much sense..

I think you made perfect sense. :cryhug_1_:

There seems to be so much that lies just beneath the surface in people's lives...I walk away from this thread with a heavy heart and a renewed understanding of how important it is to protect the children...

They are a precious gift and should be guarded with our lives. Make sure they receive the love and affection they need at home. Make sure they get the attention they need at home. Make sure they are secure in the knowledge they can come to you with anything. Make sure they are watched over, and secure in the knowledge that they are watched over.

If you do those 4 things, you have already greatly reduced the risk they will become a victim.

Then, don't just teach them stranger danger - stranger danger is something of a myth. Your child is more likely to be molested by someone who knows them, than by a stranger.

Instead, teach them about appropriate and inappropriate touch. Teach them it is okay to say no to someone who makes them uncomfortable. Teach them to tell you when someone makes them uncomfortable. Teach them that if they are ever separated from you in a gathering, they should first look for a woman with children to ask for help (no guarantees, but statistically the least likely person to prey on a child they don't know).

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Abi! This does cause me to breath a sigh of relief - for a moment.

I would add to all of the above - never assume you're done! You always have to reestablish a sense of security and trust with your child. You always have to let them know how to protect themselves - and how to avoid getting in bad situations.

I met some parents today who felt it unnecessary to invest in their child - no lessons, no enrichment. The boy has an incredible talent in art and the parents won't help him develop it at all. He has a skateboard. That's his enrichment.

This young many has one awards in art for two years running - but his grades are bad. I'm sure that this young man senses his parents' lack of vision. (Mom said, "Someday he will be a real talented tattoo artist.) I just wanted to slap her!

Your child is more likely to be molested by someone who knows them, than by a stranger.

yes... we know all about this.... second grade son.. approached by the 5th Grade male teacher... lured him out of the building, by asking a 'favor'.... although at that point, nothing inappropriate had been done....

the law enforcement involved would have gone to prison had it been their child... (or so they said)..... sick~ seems this teacher is part of NAMBLA- (sex before 8 or else it's too late).... this guy travels.. (yes present tense).... over 2.5 hours to work each day... (one way)

I've had some thoughts about this... don't feel like sharing.... but the world has some crap in it for sure~

(we did homeschool for several years after that...)