GreaseSpot Cafe

The Want-Ad Killer by Ann Rule

excathedra

this is the book sunesis read about a serial killer who murdered a wayfer

here is a little part of it

Eileen Hunley was, like Alice, a most unwordly woman. She was a native of Kansas, and she had moved to Minneapolis from Kansas City in March 1973. She had found a job working in a day-care center. She would be Harvey's next woman.

When Harvey called her, she remembered, of course, the kind man who had given her and her friends a ride on the frigid night in January. He had seemed a perfect gentleman, going miles out of his way to help ladies in trouble. Even her elderly friend had commented that Harvey "didn't seem a bad sort for being a Roman Catholic. He was, at least, a Christian, and Eileen thought that was what mattered.

Eileen might have seemed a strange choice for Harvey. But then, Harvey hadn't met many women since he'd gone back to Minnesota, and Eileen seemed more receptive than most. She was a pretty, dark-haired woman, very religious and very involved in "The Way" a fundamentalist church group that leaned heavily on literal translation of the the Old Testament for its doctrine. When Eileen met Harvey, he seemed lost--a man who could benefit from the teachings of "The Way" and she glady introduced him to the membership.

In a way, dating Harvey might be considered "God's work": if Eileen denied her sexual attraction to him, that was only because she had long had trouble dealing with her own sexuality. Her religious advisers had never wanted to discuss sex or her feelings in that direction. Harvey was a passionate man, but he also seemed a reverent man.

Harvey had read the Bible during his long years in the joint, and although he had not evinced much interest in religion during his Seattle years, he would later claim that his faith had been strong for a long time.

Eileen and Harvey began a very close relationship in May 1974, so close that she was thrilled when he said he'd like to drive her to Kansas to meet her family. In the third week of June, they journeyed to Goessel, Kansas. While Harvey was still given to night driving by himself, and left Goessel for periods during the visit, it was, all in all, successful in Eileen's mind.

He murdered Eileen Hunley.

Yes, I think those times he left, he was murdering.

Where did you find the excerpts Excie?

Later in the book, they talk about TWI during his trial.

That poor lady.

There are pics of him on the internet if you google his name. He's old, ugly and fat now, and there is one page where they interviewed him. Typical psychopath. You would have thought someone in this poor lady's fellowship would have gotten the creeps from him.

hi sunesis. i've always been interested in true crime, serial killers, etc. i don't know how i missed this one of ann rule's

i got that bit from her book on amazon

i also read that "Harvey Carignan preyed on young women who hitchhiked on the roads all over the United States."

wouldn't you think that TWI would have stopped the practice of hitchhiking immediately -- in 1974 -- since that is how this monster met that poor TWI girl he bludgeoned to death ?

You would. I almost think they thought we were expendable though. I can't think of one other organization that did this.

I know the hippies hitched alot, but times changed. I knew there was just something really wrong with it.

I remember they sent me and another female to hitch together from Emporia to HQ 'cause were were "tough" when they had us spend some time at H.Q. for a bit.

Talk about weirdos. Let's see, out side of St. Louis, a poor couple turned around and picked us up. They were going into the city to look for a black woman to take back to their farm to work. They said they were giving her an "opportunity" to get out of the ghetto. Oiy vay....

Later, we got picked up by a man around 2:30 am who was going to Dayton. He had separated from his wife, and found out she had sold their 12 year old daughter to a farmer for the summer. He was going to kill the wife and get his little girl back. I witnessed as best I could. My partner was asleep in the back seat. She later said, I don't know what you said to him, but he seemed a lot calmer. I'm thinking yeah, he'll blow away his wife calmly now. I did understand his anger though.

Those two took the cake, all in a 8 hour time period.

It was insanity. What were they thinking???? two young women hitching across country in the middle of the night??

People DID get the creepy crawlies...but hey we were invincible...we had the word to offer them...I can do all things...to admit fear or acknowledge the feelings was to deny God`s power...negative believeing.

I am SURE that poor girl was ignoring every instinct that she had....believing she was doing what God required.

I had a car on the wow field and was still told to hitch hike...it would improve my believeing...yadda yadda...I quit after being picked up by a guy who wanted me to model underwear for him..

• 7 months later...

I was a WOW 1974-75 in Ft. Worth, TX. I vaguely remember this fellow showing up sometime after the first of the year who said he was from HQ and was hitchhiking around the country to all the various WOW branches to "bless the WOWs." I don't remember much about him except he was tall, affable, not too bad looking, and gave me the shivers. He hung out for a few days, came to fellowships, ate our food, and one day when I came home from work he was gone. The WOW branch coordinator and a couple of large guys had driven him out to I-35 and sent him packing. Seems she phoned HQ and they knew absolutely nothing about what he had described as his HQ-blessed mission.

She may well have saved some lives by doing so.

Even before I went out WOW, there was a fellow who showed up, having known a twig leader in a previous location, who was greeting all the ladies with a "holy" French kiss. He had to be strongly encouraged to hit the road also.

The looseness and openness of fellowships full of young, enthusiastic people and especially the WOW fellowships, where anyone and everyone was welcome, and some of the WOWs had lived sheltered lives and had more starry-eyed "believing" than common sense (that would include me) were an invitation to deviates of every description. It's a wonder any of us survived.

WG