GreaseSpot Cafe

Don't buy any pork for now....

Belle

Where ELSE has this poison been used??

FDA: Pet food tainting might be intentional

In California, state agriculture officials placed a hog farm under quarantine after melamine was found in pig urine there. Additional testing was under way to determine whether the chemical was present in the meat produced by American Hog Farm in Ceres since April 3, the state Department of Food and Agriculture said.

The FDA and Agriculture Department also were investigating whether some pet food made by one of the five companies supplied by Wilbur-Ellis was diverted for use as hog feed after it was found unsuitable for pet consumption.

“We understand it did make it into some hog feed and we are following up on that as well,” Sundlof said.

Officials were investigating American Hog Farm’s sales records to determine who may be affected by the quarantine, said Steve Lyle, a spokesman for the California Department of Food and Agriculture. The 1,500-animal farm operates as a “custom slaughterhouse,” which means it generally does not supply meat to commercial outlets.

“Mostly it is not so-called mainstream pork. This is an operation that sells to folks who come in and want a whole pig,” said Lyle said.

Officials urged those who purchased pigs from American Hog Farm since April 3 to not consume the product until further notice.

FYI - MORE food was added to the recall list TODAY. :realmad: Including DRY FOOD.

Thanks for the update, Belle.

BTW, Nicki finally came in the house yesterday and ate some chicken and rice. I called Nutro and they said they do not buy their rice gulten from the Wilber-whatever company. I asked them if they import it from China and they said they did not. However, it occured to me after I hung up that whoever they get it from may still have imported it from China, so for now I'm sticking with home cooking.

Nutro was one of the companies on one of the early lists.

The frightening thing is

It maybe cheaper for a company to continue to sell their bad food then to have to pay out for the loss of a pet. So far it looks like you can only get what you paid for the pet.... The bean counters may want them to keep quiet -- Like the Let them burn Letter with the Ford Pinto....

http://www.motherjones.com/news/feature/1977/09/dowie.html