GreaseSpot Cafe

Meet the Monks of New Skete

RottieGrrrl

Looks like there is a new series on Animal Planet, Divine Canine, the Monks of New Skete. I've known about these guys for awhile now. They operate a monestary in upperstate New York, and their focus is on training dogs. They have quite a good repuation.

I remember when Nico was a pup and ate my furniture and chewed on my robe, I would tease her and threaten to send her there. She wouldn't dare chew on THEIR robes! :o

Anyway, I think it's worth checking out. These guys are great. I know they said without the dogs they would be just a bunch of bitter old men.

Edited by RottieGrrrl

I have always absolutely loved their work. At one time I dreamed of getting one of their dogs, but I'm too old now and there is this long long waiting list.

Their first book, "How to be Your Dog's Best Friend" has served me well. When Sophie came to us she had no idea where she fit into the "pack" and I had to give her an alpha wolf roll once, if you can imagine a middle aged woman straddling a fat yellow lab on its back, smacking it and screaming "I'm the alpha bytch in this pack and don't you ever forget it!" (she had snapped at me, seriously, and I don't tolerate that.)

she wouldn't look me in the eye for a month, but after that we have been best buddies. But I'm still the alpha.

WG

if you can imagine a middle aged woman straddling a fat yellow lab on its back, smacking it and screaming "I'm the alpha bytch in this pack and don't you ever forget it!" (she had snapped at me, seriously, and I don't tolerate that.)

WG

WG may I just send you a cleaning bill for the coffee I spit all over my screen? :biglaugh:

Seriously, great post. Thanks! :)

BTW, here's a link to say yo to the bros. Meet the Monks

Edited by RottieGrrrl

When is it on?

I can not get my speakers and what-not to work.

Dots: It's on animal planet, I'll find the tv schedule and post it for you, give me a sec., Okay, Looks like Hugo, the snotty bulldog, will be featured next week. Reruns abound. After that (May 28) Harley the Golden is featured. Here is the schedule, I'm assuming it's Eastern Time Zone? Check your local listings.

May 21, 8:00 pm

(30 minutes) Divine Canine: With the Monks of New Skete

Hoisting Hugo

TV-G, CC

On this episode of Divine Canine, a bulldog named Hugo improves on his jumping problem by leaps and bounds.

May 21, 11:00 pm

Hoisting Hugo

TV-G, CC

On this episode of Divine Canine, a bulldog named Hugo improves on his jumping problem by leaps and bounds.

May 22, 3:00 am

Hoisting Hugo

TV-G, CC

May 22, 2:00 pm

Hoisting Hugo

TV-G, CC

May 25, 8:00 pm

Hoisting Hugo

TV-G, CC

May 26, 12:00 am

Hoisting Hugo

TV-G, CC

May 26, 3:00 am

Hoisting Hugo

TV-G, CC

May 26, 6:00 pm

Hoisting Hugo

TV-G, CC

May 28, 8:00 pm

Harnessing Harley

TV-G

Harley the Golden Retriever's taste for life is toned down and his mouthing problems are muzzled when he learns that he doesn't always

Edited by RottieGrrrl