GreaseSpot Cafe

"holy thing"

Well I apologize. Two wrongs don’t make a right. I really tried not to sound angry, but I was. Wordwolf: I will derail long enough to express my thanks for your many, many hours of effort in posting that answered questions for me, set things in perspective and in general very healing to me personally to read as an ex-way. Thank you so much.

Before I started this thread, I had pondered the thing long enough to reach one conclusion. Sin nature (as a genetic condition) in Mary plus holy sperm does not equal holy result. The first thought that crossed my mind is one or more components of the equation must not be correct. Even if you locate sin nature in the blood, there is still a problem.

How do we commit sin? It’s via temptation and sort of natural tendency to do so according to Romans. That to me is more of a decision making or mental process. It seems to me the arena is the “soul life.” So then if sin is in the blood as a location or any genetic issue, how does that affect my mind? It dwells in the flesh according to Romans. Is that a figure of speech or a contradiction of in the blood or both. This has really been getting on my last nerve. I went over Romans 1-7 quite carefully several times.

I could almost buy a genetic cause for death except that according to Genesis, it wasn’t so much something being done as something being withheld, ie the tree of life.

What if sin nature isn’t something that was added, but the result of something subtracted, ie holiness/righteousness?

The one thing that makes us righteous/holy now is the addition of holy spirit. We also get eternal life. Our minds still lack righteousness/holiness. Old man nature. So in that sense it dwells in us.

Once Adam sinned, he was no longer holy, without sin. The judgment was death for everyone. Man would not be born righteous or holy. He would lack it. He would lack eternal life. Jesus was sent to give this back as a down payment, and later eternally.

Because of the sin of Adam, God would not impart righteousness/holiness to Adam’s offspring. If death was judgment for disobedience, it wouldn’t make since to do so. His plan was redemption from sin (lack of holiness) and death (lack of eternal life). Sin and death go together. Righteousness/holiness and eternal life go together.

The first Adam was created in the image of God. As such he had holiness and righteousness. The last Adam was holy at conception. Unlike the first Adam, he never sinned.

It all fits together rather nicely, I think.

If you leave sin as a genetic thing, there are several conundrums. There is no Scriptural proof it is genetic that I can find. There is no proof what I said is correct, but at least I didn’t add anything (I am supposing it’s added) to the Bible that isn’t there…

I putting this out to test for flaws....or sanity check (lol).

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Larry.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

And I'm still trying to figure out how we think Mary was married to Joseph when she became pregnant with Christ. Where did we establish espoused did not mean engaged?

Also why wouldn't the angel go to Joseph and tell him of this wonderful and unique situation involving his soon to be wife. And that would not have taken the responsibility of Mary telling Joseph away either.

Here's a recap of one part of this discussion, with some quotes from me and Larry: <major snip>

WOW!

That exclamatory statement could be misconstrued to imply that your . . . hmm . . . how shall I gently label it? . . . very lengthy resonse -- flabbergasted me. Such is not the case. I'll simply say it left me speechless, which is not to say that nothing comes to mind in response to it. However, the voice of prudence beckons me to say very little on this occasion even though the voice of foolishness is strongly whispering in my other ear. On this occasion, though, the former is much stronger and therefore (feeling rather generous) I will allow you to bask in your moment. I hope you savor it.

Thank you Larry.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

And I'm still trying to figure out how we think Mary was married to Joseph when she became pregnant with Christ. Where did we establish espoused did not mean engaged?

Also why wouldn't the angel go to Joseph and tell him of this wonderful and unique situation involving his soon to be wife. And that would not have taken the responsibility of Mary telling Joseph away either.

Chatty, as soon as I recover from my momentary condition of being speechless I'll try to address your questions more fully even though (if I'm not mistaken) I thought I already addressed the first one in a previous post.

Thank you Larry.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Chatty,

Larry explains this in great detail in post 92 on the previous page. Espousal was taken very seriously in the Jewish culture of the day, and required a bill of divorcement to end it, not just a returning of a ring and telling a partner that one had changed their mind.

And in Matthew 1:20 an angel does go to Joseph and explain things to him. As far as Mary's responsibility goes, since she was not permitted to speak to Joseph face-to-face during the period of espousal but only through a intermediary, I think her reluctance was totally understandable.

Edited by Jeaniam

WordWolf, I think what we have here is a misunderstanding. If I understand correctly, Larry does not dispute the doctrine of a virgin conception; what he disagrees with is your contention that Mary stayed a virgin until the time of Jesus Christ's birth. I think a case can be made for both positions and that there are some verses that are somewhat unclear. It depends at least in part on what is meant by the phrase 'knew her not until Christ was born'.

Thanks Jeaniam! As I get older I sometimes have trouble remembering what I said five minutes ago let alone two days past. :)

Thanks for your detailed explanation of marriage customs in New Testament times.That was very helpful and answered several questions I had had for some time.

I started thinking about sinless blood why it was necessary to redeem mankind.

This guy has an interesting article, scroll down, especially about the part of blood and Holy Spirit.

I haven't fully read it yet, but it looks interesting and may contribute to the discussion.

Its food for thought.

http://www.newgateministries.com/jerusalem...a-of-jesus.html

I read most of it and it is interesting. Although I disagree with his final conclusion, because I am still not a trinitarian; much of what he says has value. Thank you for bringing it up.

It depends at least in part on what is meant by the phrase 'knew her not until Christ was born'.

That is a puzzler Jeaniam. The word "knew" is the Greek word ginosko which is as I recall a experiential type of knowledge. I may be stretching it a bit but, the only thing I can come up with is -- the context is about the firstborn son -- Jesus -- and in that vein Joseph didn't "know" Mary fully in regards to bearing children with her -- hence -- experientially -- until after Jesus was born.

I hope that made some sense to you.

Edited by Larry N Moore

What if sin nature isn’t something that was added, but the result of something subtracted, ie holiness/righteousness?

You win the white carnation!

If you feel like making a new thread on this at some point, there's something I taught on healing a long

time ago that I'll want to find again.

WordWolf, I think what we have here is a misunderstanding. If I understand correctly, Larry does not dispute the doctrine of a virgin conception; what he disagrees with is your contention that Mary stayed a virgin until the time of Jesus Christ's birth.

I saw that he ALSO contended that. However, his actual POSTS had him disputing a virgin conception

until he posted his own opinion. I can't read his mind- I have to go from his posts.

I doublechecked- it wasn't me who was reading wrong. If he doesn't want misunderstandings,

he should either read more carefully before posting, or post more carefully after reading.

He's an intelligent fellow, and is well able to do this without undue effort.

I think a case can be made for both positions and that there are some verses that are somewhat unclear. It depends at least in part on what is meant by the phrase 'knew her not until Christ was born'.

Thanks for your detailed explanation of marriage customs in New Testament.

The thing is- you're both taking it as a "leap of faith" that those ARE the marriage customs,

correctly quoted. Perhaps they are, perhaps they are not, but without a source, they're opinion

and hearsay. Unsourced statements are how we got vpw playing for the Sheboygan Redskins,

according to one website.

The main case for Joseph and Mary doing the horizontal hucklebuck before Jesus' birth

seems-so far-to rest on unsourced statements from vpw and a few other people-

and I have no guarantee THEIR source was not vpw.

Is there a documentable source asserting this was a possibility?

If so, can you post it or something?

That is a puzzler Jeaniam. The word "knew" is the Greek word ginosko which is as I recall a experiential type of knowledge.

"Euphemism" is one of the 217 figures of speech Bullinger said is in the Bible.

The expression to "know" someone referring to carnal knowledge is not confined to the early chapters of the Gospels.

The expression (in Greek or Hebrew, depending) appears in other places as well.

Feel free to start off on looking at some examples. I'll get to it in turn otherwise.

Edited by WordWolf

The thing is- you're both taking it as a "leap of faith" that those ARE the marriage customs,

correctly quoted. Perhaps they are, perhaps they are not, but without a source, they're opinion

and hearsay. Unsourced statements are how we got vpw playing for the Sheboygan Redskins,

The main case for Joseph and Mary doing the horizontal hucklebuck before Jesus' birth

If so, can you post it or something?

Matthew 1:24&25 say--'Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife: and knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name Jesus.' The contraversy rests on what exactly is meant by the phrases 'took unto him his wife' and 'knew her not till etc.' VPW claimed that 'took unto him his wife' meant that Joseph had sexual relations with Mary, just not sex that resulted in pregnancy which was the meaning of 'knew her not'. I think VPW's claim is open to question since there are other places that the phrase 'knew her' or in at least one verse 'knew him' was used in a context that didn't result in pregnancy. I refer to the goings-on in Sodom when the men of Sodom wanted the angels brought out to them 'so we may know them'. In that context the word 'know' although still sexual could not possibly result in pregnancy for obvious reasons. So, as I said, I think one can make a case for either explanation, and I am not prepared to say definitely which one is accurate without verses that are more clear.

BTW, I thought Larry gave a source for the marriage customs. Okay, as I was.

Edited by Jeaniam

BTW, I thought Larry gave a source for the marriage customs. Okay, as I was.

You thought correctly Jeaniam.

On this matter of "knew her not" I think the key word on that subject (as I suggested in my other post) is on the word "firstborn". The word ginosko = knew can have a more fuller meaning than just having sexual intercourse. You hinted at this when you implied that it's not possible to impregnate someone who's already pregnant.

It must be the pull of the rain outside of which I am digging because I am still confused as to how espoused was proven to mean married rather than engaged. From my research into the Hebrew usage it was found to be engaged and yes it did involve more than we modern folks view it as but it was still not married.

Also I understand Mary not being able to go to Joseph due to customs but God provided 'out of the box' situations all throughout the overseeing of his seed being born so I don't hold to the 'letter of the law' in regards to this.

As to if Joseph knew (had sex) with Mary prior to Christ's birth I was only implying perhaps in light of the fact it was NOT Joseph's child and the importance of who it was they might have chosen not to have sex until after he was born. But that is all my thinking.

Mary was no longer a virgin once she 'knew' Joseph.

As to if Joseph knew (had sex) with Mary prior to Christ's birth I was only implying perhaps in light of the fact it was NOT Joseph's child and the importance of who it was they might have chosen not to have sex until after he was born. But that is all my thinking.

Another thing of "importance" to consider is how important it was (culturally) to have children. Especially male offspring. I can imagine how concerned Joseph might have been to know that his wife was bearing a male child not from his own loins. If they never had any more children his blood-line would not carry on in future generations. To them -- that was a BIG deal.

Understand, yet see nothing contradictory about Christ being who he was and how he came about there.

And I go back to how big of a deal bearing Christ would be. That would have trumped Josephs concern over cultural issues in a second. Also God in his foreknowledge knew who Mary would become married to so He knew Joseph would be the right man also.

Nothing thus far has proven it was not Christ's seed and it was not a virgin conception.

(I really wish this system would allow a new post to be a new post)

Understand, yet see nothing contradictory about Christ being who he was and how he came about there.

And I go back to how big of a deal bearing Christ would be. That would have trumped Josephs concern over cultural issues in a second. Also God in his foreknowledge knew who Mary would become married to so He knew Joseph would be the right man also.

I think Joseph's concerns were soothed once he received the visit from the Angel. And I think you're right about God knowing Joseph would be the right man to help raise Jesus. Both Mary and Joseph were "righteous" in God's eyes.

In case I'm not being clear let me simply state that I believe Mary and Joseph had sexual intercourse before Jesus was born. What I'm trying to get across (with my other thoughts) is that the emphasis I see in verse 25 with the use of the word "firstborn" is that although Mary bore children for Joseph -- this firstborn -- Jesus -- was not one of them.

Nothing thus far has proven it was not Christ's seed and it was not a virgin conception.

(I really wish this system would allow a new post to be a new post)

'Christ's seed'? Can I ask you what you mean by that? I think almost everyone is prepared to concede it was a virgin conception. It seems to be open to doubt when Joseph and Mary first had sexual relations and I think that although the Bible is clear that that didn't happen until it was clear that Mary was already pregnant to avoid confusion about who actually was Christ's Father it doesn't make it 100% clear whether it happened before or after Christ's birth. I find merit in your argument that bearing Christ was such a big deal that they were probably willing to make a few personal sacrifices for it.

Good post, thanks.

(I'm still trying to figure out this system).

Edited by Jeaniam

It seems to be open to doubt when Joseph and Mary first had sexual relations and I think that although the Bible is clear that that didn't happen until it was clear that Mary was already pregnant to avoid confusion about who actually was Christ's Father it doesn't make it 100% clear whether it happened before or after Christ's birth.

Jeaniam allow me to re-quote a snippet from a previous post regarding the customs of the time.

8. At the end of the celebrations a special canopy was set up in the groom’s chamber and both bride and groom were carried to the nuptial canopy. The friends went home and the marriage was finally consummated. Until the consummation, the bride was always heavily veiled.

It may not be 100% clear but if Joseph and Mary were in their separation period during the time of the Angel's visit to Joseph and he was admonished not to fear to "take unto himself Mary his wife" then it's very possible that it's referring to this section in the marriage customs. Meaning the period where they actually consummate their marriage.

Edited by Larry N Moore

Jean:

"BTW, I thought Larry gave a source for the marriage customs."

Larry:

"You thought correctly Jeaniam."

You both missed my objection. I shall give an unrelated example, and explain its relevance to my post.

One episode of Gilligan's Island had the Professor explain something.

"Cuneiform, which is the oldest form of writing, was invented by the Assyrians.

But I read it as though it were Boustrophedon, you see?"

"Basically, all ancient languages read from right to left, but I read from left to right."

In other words, according to this source,

The Assyrians invented Cuneiform,

and Boustrophedon reads from left to right.

Both are incorrect.

The Sumerians are taken to have invented Cuneiform, and Boustrophedon changes direction from line

to line in how it's read.

So, someone claiming either- and citing that episode as a source- is giving a source.

However, that changes little because it is not a DOCUMENTABLE source.

You know where they heard it, but not what THAT statement is based on.

Going back to my statement, I said

"The thing is- you're both taking it as a "leap of faith" that those ARE the marriage customs,

If so, can you post it or something?"

His sources were where the UNSOURCED STATEMENTS I mentioned were posted.

Scroll down the pages- there are NO SOURCES given for their content.

They may be based on nothing more than hearsay.

One can't look up their sources and compare them.

Wikipedia articles aren't taken as serious research pieces- and they generally are not.

However, if an article fails to cite its sources, then someone slaps a sign on it warning the reader

that there's no sources cited-which may mean the content is made-up or otherwise unreliable.

That's also why I mentioned the Sheboygan Redskins thing- someone could cite that other

website as a "source"- but that source was unreliable and thus had incorrect information

based on incomplete research.

So, Larry gave a source. However, there's no way to confirm that source was ACCURATE,

since there's no documentation, thus no way to confirm it's based on correct information.

I know you're both ready and willing to accept what both sources said, but even if I was,

that STILL doesn't mean what we WANT to believe is CORRECT.

Furthermore, he's relying on them more in further posts now. That's not how proper intelligent

discussion goes, as I'm sure you both can see.

So, Larry gave a source. However, there's no way to confirm that source was ACCURATE,

since there's no documentation, thus no way to confirm it's based on correct information.

I know you're both ready and willing to accept what both sources said, but even if I was,

that STILL doesn't mean what we WANT to believe is CORRECT.

Furthermore, he's relying on them more in further posts now. That's not how proper intelligent

discussion goes, as I'm sure you both can see.

WordWolf, there is a limit to my patience. I would suggest you stop while you're ahead. If "winning" this debate is what you want then -- I declare you the winner!

WordWolf, there is a limit to my patience. I would suggest you stop while you're ahead. If "winning" this debate is what you want then -- I declare you the winner!

Not at all.

You're intelligent enough and educated enough to be held to a reasonably high standard.

(No higher than I hold myself to.)

I asked for OTHER sources, sources that WERE traceable.

If your beliefs are correct- they might be, they might not be, but they are UNTESTED-

then there SHOULD be better sources.

I expect you'd prefer to know when your sources need improvement, and when to seek

out better sources.

I don't quote Gilligan's Island when I can quote FF Bruce's "the Scrolls and the Parchments",

and I expect you'd do the same.

Wouldn't you warn me if my sources needed improvement?