GreaseSpot Cafe

'Tis The Season for Tacky Weddings

ChasUFarley

I started hiring myself out officating at weddings this year. I've done three so far, all low key, low budget and the people were in love...what the heck else matters?

Several weeks ago I got a call at my regular job; a couple who I had agreed to do a wedding on June 2nd needed me to come over that night (I was working 'til 10PM) and marry them. It seems that the guy had cancer and they were driving up to the Mayo clinic that night.

I married them at 11PM on the front lawn with 3 witnesses.

A happier couple I've never seen.

I started hiring myself out officating at weddings this year. I've done three so far, all low key, low budget and the people were in love...what the heck else matters?

Several weeks ago I got a call at my regular job; a couple who I had agreed to do a wedding on June 2nd needed me to come over that night (I was working 'til 10PM) and marry them. It seems that the guy had cancer and they were driving up to the Mayo clinic that night.

I married them at 11PM on the front lawn with 3 witnesses.

A happier couple I've never seen.

Many people marry at a time like that - it's not that unusual. I know some hospital clergy won't officiate a wedding like that because they feel that it's an emotional time to begin with so why add a wedding or whatever on top of it all...

I say, what difference does it make, as long as they're committed to each other?

Update: Hubby isn't going to said fiasco. We had lost one of our cats over the past couple of days and had some sleepless nights. She just resurfaced late this morning - we hadn't seen her since Thursday. So, we're staying close to home and having a family cookout/game night - PHEW! I'm glad the cat talked him out of it...

Cat's are smart....sometimes smarter than we are.

:offtopic: Sometimes - my last one was smart/dumb. He could mathematically calculate his trajectory through the air to jump from the floor to the shelves with the plant he liked to eat, but somehow always thought if I opened a can of anything it must be tuna... even if it smelled like sauerkraut. I used to play jokes on him with that and drain the sauerkraut juice into a saucer for him since he whined so much. He was very shocked to find out it wasn't his tuna juice!

:evildenk:

:offtopic: Sometimes - my last one was smart/dumb. He could mathematically calculate his trajectory through the air to jump from the floor to the shelves with the plant he liked to eat, but somehow always thought if I opened a can of anything it must be tuna... even if it smelled like sauerkraut. I used to play jokes on him with that and drain the sauerkraut juice into a saucer for him since he whined so much. He was very shocked to find out it wasn't his tuna juice!

:evildenk:

I had a cartoon once. It had a picture of a Mama cat talking to her kittens and instructing them"

"Now, this is a can opener. Everytime you hear it, come running and beg! It drives them CRAZY!"

dmiller - Hubby loved the link - THANK YOU!

(made him pull out a guitar afterwards... i heard something to the effect of "wish i could play rhythm like that and lead at the same time... hmmm....")

But the cat came back.... (and now she's gonna sleep in his guitar case, if i know her...)

dmiller - Hubby loved the link - THANK YOU!

(made him pull out a guitar afterwards... i heard something to the effect of "wish i could play rhythm like that and lead at the same time... hmmm....")

But the cat came back.... (and now she's gonna sleep in his guitar case, if i know her...)

Uh-Huh! (Remember -- Doc Watson is blind).

yes i know - i watch and listen to him a lot on Prarie Home Companion - one of the highlights of my weekend.

hubby will be picking away now until the wee hours of the morning... and I'm sure the cat will still be in the guitar case... they all love guitar cases for beds!

If you have a gig they are perfect for newborns as well

in_case.gif

mstar - LOVE IT!

We did that with our second one - put him in a plush guitar case - 'til he started yanking the fuzz off the sides of it and trying to eat it! <_<

(Why do some kids eat fluff and fuzz? I never understood that one...)