GreaseSpot Cafe

Old weird recipes from the past

JavaJane

Thanks Belle for sharing, really didn't think to look it up.

That should really help Eyes.....

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back to Bacon again:

Now in April 1711, General Braddock and the Colonial governors held a conference on taxation, in the Carlyle House,Alexandria.This house was known as Braddock's Headquarters. This was his favorite dish.

Select good tart apples. Peel them. Cut them in inch cubes.

Fry the bacon in a heavy skillet. As soon as the bacon is crisp, remove and drain on clean brown paper and keep in a warm place. Leave about one-fourth cup of fat in the skillet and fill it up with the apples.

Sprinkle on two or three teaspoons of sugar. Apples fried this way require a little more sugar than ordinary fried apples.

Cover the apples. Cook slowly until tender. Then remove the cover and turn the apples, so the pieces will keep their shape. Let them brown lightly. They are then almost transparent.

Place on a steaming platter, and surround with the bacon.

Easy enough and sounds delicious.

Wow that does sound yummy! Gonna have to get some apples. Granny Smith would probably work.

Thanks Belle! I kind of feel like a real knucklehead for not looking it up myself. :redface2:

Ice Cream

Dolly Madison surprised her guests with ice cream, served at a state dinner, the first time it was ever heard of.

One quart of milk. Eight eggs, whites and yolks beaten up separately, and very light. Four cups of sugar. Three pints of rich cream. One teaspoon of vanilla or any other flavoring. Heat the milk almost to boiling heat. Beat the yolks light and add sugar and stir up well. Pour the hot milk to this mixture little by little. Beat the whites and add them, returning them all to the fire. Boil in a pail set within one of hot water.

Stir the mixture steadily about fifteen minutes or until it is as thick as boiled custard. Pour into a bowl and set aside to cool.When quite cold beat in the cream and flavoring. Have ready a quantity of ice not larger than a pigeon's egg, the smaller the better; pack around the freezer tightly, first a layer of ice and then one of salt in this order until the pail or freezer is filled to the top. Beat the custard as you would batter for five minutes without stopping; pour into freezer. Replace the lid and pack the ice and salt upon it, packing hard on top; cover all over with a blanket or and old piece of carpet; leave for an hour. Than remove the cover from the freezer after you have wiped it carefully. You will find within a thick coating of mixture upon bottom and sides. Dislodge this with a ladle or with a long carving knife, working every particle of it off clear. Beat again hard and long until the custard is a smooth, half congealed paste.

The smoothness of the custard depends upon your action at this juncture. Put the cover back again, pack in more ice and salt and drain off the brine water which has accumulated possibly in such a quanity as to bury the ice. Do not open again and leave for three hours or even longer. After reaching this stage, take it out of the freezer, wrap a towel, wrung out of boiling water, about the lower part of the container and turn out a solid column of ice cream,firm,close grained and smooth as velvet to the tongue. Should the ice melt very fast, you may have to pour off the water more than twice.

That fried apple recipe sounds soooooo good! I love apples in savory dishes. I saute them with onions and mushrooms and serve with smoked sausages. It's yummy!

OK, here's one for you guys - I liked the name:

Artillery Punch (from my Gourmet Cookbook mentioned earlier)

Combine 1 1/2 fifths rye whiskey, 1 1/2 fifths claret, 6 cups strong black tea, 1 1/2 pints dark Jamaican rum, 3/4 pint gin, 3/4 pint Cognac, 3 oz Benedictine, 3 cups orange juice, and 1 1/2 c lemon juice. Let the mixture stand 2 hours to ripen and pour it over a large block of ice in a punch bowl. If a sweeter punch is desired, add bar syrup to taste.

This recipe produces 25 generous servings. Whether or not this amount will serve 25 persons depends upon the duration of the party and the thirst of the guests.

Sounds like a recipe for a bad hangover to me!

:drink:

That fried apple recipe sounds soooooo good! I love apples in savory dishes. I saute them with onions and mushrooms and serve with smoked sausages. It's yummy!

OK, here's one for you guys - I liked the name:

Artillery Punch (from my Gourmet Cookbook mentioned earlier)

Combine 1 1/2 fifths rye whiskey, 1 1/2 fifths claret, 6 cups strong black tea, 1 1/2 pints dark Jamaican rum, 3/4 pint gin, 3/4 pint Cognac, 3 oz Benedictine, 3 cups orange juice, and 1 1/2 c lemon juice. Let the mixture stand 2 hours to ripen and pour it over a large block of ice in a punch bowl. If a sweeter punch is desired, add bar syrup to taste.

This recipe produces 25 generous servings. Whether or not this amount will serve 25 persons depends upon the duration of the party and the thirst of the guests.

Sounds like a recipe for a bad hangover to me!

:drink:

OMG!! If I ever make it to a weenie roast guess what I'm bringing? Haaaaahahaha :biglaugh:

OMG!! If I ever make it to a weenie roast guess what I'm bringing? Haaaaahahaha :biglaugh:

I just read that recipe again... My stomach hurts just reading the "strong black tea" line...

I just read that recipe again... My stomach hurts just reading the "strong black tea" line...

I'm not certain how long my stomach would hurt or if it would while I was drinking or just wait until the next morning.

I'm not certain how long my stomach would hurt or if it would while I was drinking or just wait until the next morning.

Makes you wonder why it's called Artillery punch, doesn't it?

Makes you wonder why it's called Artillery punch, doesn't it?

My imagination flows towards "blowing" things...like chunks... :biglaugh:

My imagination flows towards "blowing" things...like chunks... :biglaugh:

I think we made a poem, Eyes...

Me: "makes you wonder why they call it Artillery Punch?

Eyes: "My imagination flows towards "blowing" things... like chunks...

:biglaugh:

I think we made a poem, Eyes...

Me: "makes you wonder why they call it Artillery Punch?

Eyes: "My imagination flows towards "blowing" things... like chunks...

:biglaugh:

Hahahaha... On my knees to the porceline god...

Hahahaha... On my knees to the porceline god...

...Lord, how I wish I never ate that cod.

And now for another couple of weird recipes (these are from The Hungry Man's Outdoor Grill Cookbook copyright 1953 by the Staff Home Economists Culinary Arts Institute p 30-31)

Outdoor menu:

Barbequed Bologna Roll

Oranges and Sweet Potatoes

Green Onions

Radishes

Banana Boats

Barbequed Bologna Roll

Score with 1/2 to 1 inch cuts, 1 inch apart, side of 4 lb roll of bologna. Secure on a shish kebab skewer. Spread with a mixture of:

1 1/2 tbsp prepared mustard

1 1/2 tsp brown sugar

1 tsp prepared horseradish

Place directly on grill about 3 inches from coals. Baste well with a mixture of:

1 c chili sauce

3 tbsp vineager

Turn frequently. grill 15-20 minutes, or until roll is thoughouhly heated and browned. Remove skewer and slice.

Oranges and Sweet Potatoes

Thinly slice one orange and arrange on bottom of buttered casserole. Sprinkle with 2 tbsp brown sugar. Slice 8 cooked or canned sweet potatoes into 1 1/2 in rounds and place on orange slices. Stud with whole cloves. Cover and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, mix in a skillet 1 1/2 cups brown sugar and 1/3 cup orange juice; bring to boiling and boil 5 minutes. Stir in 1/4 c butter and pour over baked sweet potatoes and oranges.

Banana Boats

(the proof of their goodness is in th eating)

Place on the flatest side...

green tipped or all yellow bananas, 1 for each guest

Pull back part of upper section of banana peel (do not pull off.) Cut a trench the full length of the banana. (You can eat the cut out banana. It really says this in the cookbook - I did not make it up!) Poke into trench, along the length of the banana...

1 cut up marshmallow

Along side the marshmallow place...

Small milk chocolate peices

Pull banana peel back into place over filling. Place banana on the grill, flat side down. Roast until the skin is black. Pull skin back as you eat banana.

...Lord, how I wish I never ate that cod.

I read our poem to the family and they laughed so hard that one of 'em fell off of the bed! Then she said "What's cod?" This of course initiated another round of laughter.

So today were cooking up some banana boats! I'll let ya'll know how they turn out. I got vetoed on the hausenpheffer, God forbid we eat a bunny rabbit, got called a "hillbilly" for even mentioning it! I did get the ok for the fried apples and bacon...even though "we" dont eat cute little piggies! Gimme a break! What they dont know wont hurt 'em! Hehehe...now to find a muskrat!

Should have seen the reaction when I told 'em I was waiting for a "hush puppies" recipe. "OH MY GOD YOU EAT PUPPIES!!!!???? I swear I couldn't breath I was laughing so hard! My response when I could speak again? "They are soooo good fried up in little chunks with onion and garlic. Just wait till you try the kitty tacos next week...delish!" Yup...I got some really good looks for that one!

The next line in the poem....

I never knew I could hold so much...

• 2 weeks later...
I just got a box of antique cookbooks shipped to me. I have had some for throwing parties from the 30s and 40s... seems like they wrapped everything in bacon back then to serve as an hors doerve...

Bacon wrapped:

peanut butter

water chestnuts - had this one, it's GOOD

mushrooms

olives - black and green

pickles

bleu cheese

yummy. ?

Anybody else have some weird old recipes?

I collect antique cookbooks, and have one from my husband's family that predates the Cvil War. It has some really weird recipes handwritten into its covers, including

*a pudding recipe titled with an ethnic slur referring to the hair of said ethnic group ("n-word head pudding")

Back then, everything was made from scratch; not only food, but soaps, syrups, and medicines. In between the handwritten heirloom recipes for cakes, pies, and cookies, this antique cookbook has several handwritten recipes for

*hop bitters

*cancer salve

*pulmonic syrup

*Jayne's expectorant

*Cure for Croup

*Prescription for Diptheria

And, something called

*Magic Relief

Magic relief calls for several substances which are now controlled, including tincture of opium.

I showed it to Dr. Rawlins once and asked her what it would do to a person.

She said, "That'll may you fly!"

Sounds like "Magic Relief" shoulda been called "Magic Carpet Ride"

Disclaimer: Some of these ingredients are controlled now or downright illegal, and God only knows how it would affect you-- but it's kind of fun to imagine how bad this stuff would taste and burn going down:

Magic Relief

1 pint alcohol

2 drachms oil of cinnamon

2 drachms oil of wintergreen

2 drachms oil of organium

1 drachm oil of sassafras

1 drachm oil of cloves

1 drachm oil of canfipuh (?)

1 oz. tincture of opium

1/2 oz. tincture of myrrh

1/2 oz. tincture of cayenne

1 drachm sulphate of ether

2 drachms camphor

1/2 oz. ammonia

To use externally add 1/3 (illegible) oil

To use internally 10 drops as a dose

Rheumatic remedy

I once read that myrrh was a lot like goldenseal in it's healing properties - that would help.

Here's a weird healing recipe from me... Works great on wound infections - in fact, I have seen it dry up bad sores within a day.

Mix triple antibiotic ointment with goldenseal root powder (just open up the capsule and take out the powder inside) Just mix as much as you would use if it were regular antibiotic ointment... Put on the wound, cover with a bandaid. Check the next day.

For me, it usually kills the pain within an hour and then gets rid of the infection in a day or so.

I bet that "canfipah" is really camphor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camphor

and Magic Relief - wow.... alcohol, opium, ether, camphor... yikes. That's some serious momma's little helper, lemme tell you. That will cure what ailes ya - and they won't have to embalm ya when you die if you were on that cocktail!

I don't know... camphor is listed later on as another ingredient.

I sometimes have trouble reading the script. The ink is faded, and it is a very old-fashioned script using letters I don't easily recognize. The "f" in canfipah looks somewhat like a slim "s" that goes below the line. I thought it might be a "p", but it doesn't look like the letter "p" used elsewhere in the recipe. So I'm kinda stumped. Maybe it's "cansipah"?

The other illegible word looks like "simch" or "smck" oil. Possibly sumack?

Edited by Catcup

Could be... I remember my dad talking about some horse linament that he made with sumac - he also used it as a dye. (But he was born in 1915 - and loved his home remedies.)

Sumac is nasty! Ich! I got a bunch of those nasty little bushes/trees growing in my yard. I just hate the smell of them. But I can see how they might be used as a linament.

• 11 months later...

Fried Burdock

This is the stuff that looks like rhubarb but when it matures it get those velcro type ball seeds that stick like glue to all your clothing.

Pick burdock with stems no bigger than your little finger in diameter.

Wash really good and cut in 4 in. lengths.

Dip in a scrambled raw egg and then dip in either corn meal or bread crumbs.

Fry in oil in a pan till tender, then eat.

Yummy!

An you say you don't have anything to eat from your yard!

Edited by Ca_dreaming

The first one is an old wierd recipe-Gruel done the southern way:                           The second is in honor of Independence Day, July 4th, and Newark, New Jersey...: