GreaseSpot Cafe

Going to a Chabad House

As some of you know, for the past few years I have been studying Judaism on-line. My family is Jewish, though very few of them are observant. A couple of years ago I decided I wanted to learn more about my heritage.

The website where I do most of my studying is run by Chabads, which are an ultra-orthodox group. I think they are somehow affiliated with Chassidics but I still haven't been able to piece that together, it may be that they are Chassidic and have simply changed their "label".

I have attended two of the three local synagogues on a number of occassions and neither of them felt like the right fit for me. The third one is geared solely toward the college students on campus, so I don't think that is the right on either. While I cannot imagine I would every observe the strict practice of the Chabads (I lack the discipline to say the least), I do love the heart in their teachings. Also, they are open to all Jewish people, regardless of the level of observance an individual chooses to practice. I have wanted to check them out in a more face to face setting for a while, but the nearest center is over an hour away. :(

Anway, earlier this summer I discovered a Chabad House a couple blocks away from where the kids go to daycamp. I noticed it because I saw the Rabbi leaving one morning, and there is no mistaking one. ;D I then noticed the big sign in the window that said Chabad House on it.

So, I went to the Chabad website and found some information on the MSU/Lansing Chabad house and contacted the Rabbi. This Friday, if all goes as planned, I will attend a Shabbos service and dinner with them. I'm nervous, but also excited.

That's awsome Abi. As you know, thanks to you I have been checking out their website as well and have been receiving emails and newsletters from them. I have been looking into classes as well. So I am really interested in your experiences. You will be wonderful as always.

I love you!

That's awsome Abi. As you know, thanks to you I have been checking out their website as well and have been receiving emails and newsletters from them. I have been looking into classes as well. So I am really interested in your experiences. You will be wonderful as always.

I love you!

Thanks, Eyes! I will let you know how it goes. :)

I keep wondering, should I dress all in black? :D

I think I will just wear something conservative and nice - lol

Meebe a GreaseSpot T-shirt???

Nawwwww. Meebe NOT!!

:biglaugh:

HAHAHA, As it turns out, I could have worn my Greasespot T-shirt, if I owned a Shabbos Robe.

It was a very warm and friendly Shabbos (as they say instead of Shabbat - just depends on which part of the world you are from or something). Not entirely different from spending a holiday with my cousins, except this family is more strictly observant of the rituals.

When I first arrived it was a room full of women, the Rabbi's wife and her sisters, sister-in-laws, etc. They were all wearing these long black robes and I decided I chose well to go with a nice grey outfit instead of something in bright colors. We (or should I say the younger girls, mostly) chatted and everyone was very relaxed. Later, one of the girls explained her family was not orthodox, but she enjoyed the time she spends with at the Chabad House a lot and so she goes fairly regularly and is learning as she goes. She told me not to be afraid to ask questions and so I asked about the black clothing.

She explained that it was mostly coincidental that tonight they all wore black robes because the robes come in many colors, including bright flowery ones. The purpose of the robe is comfort - you wear whatever is most comfortable underneath it. The idea being you want to be comfortable on your day of rest. :) I liked that.

Eventually the Rabbi appeared with two other men and the prayers and meal started. First the song welcoming in the Sabbath, then the Kiddush (wine). After that there is a ritual handwashing, which they were very kind in explaining to me, without me having to ask. Then of course the Challah (bread), followed by salad, and then matzah ball soup. Throughout the evening other men and women came in (one or two were professors from the university and a few were students), and joined the meal and conversation.

All in all it was a very peaceful and wonderful experience and I look forward to returning. If I can swing my schedule right I will go back for the Torah reading tomorrow morning. Otherwise, I will go again on Thursday when they are having a guest speaker come in to speak on women in Judaism.

Edited by Abigail

Eventually the Rabbi appeared with two other men and the prayers and meal started. First the song welcoming in the Sabbath, then the Kiddush (wine). After that there is a ritual handwashing, which they were very kind in explaining to me, without me having to ask.

I know that you just dropped that in there so I could ask...right?

It is symbolic of purity - starting the sabbath pure, washing away the impurities of the previous week.

**********oops, this is Abi posting***********

Ah yes...that's right! I remember that this is where they got the saying, "Wash my hands of the whole thing..." That Pontius Pilot used.