GreaseSpot Cafe

Alcoholism

I don't have an answer for you, Out. In TWI, almost everything was spiritual possession and that phrase was used as a hammer over your head.

My opinion, which is only partially educated, is that there is a genetic component to alcoholism. There is also an environmental one - what you learn growing up and along the way. I would not say it isn't or never could be spiritual posession, but these days I am not inclined to use that label against another person.

I think prayer for another is always helpful. I think there are also many helpful avenues in the world today with treatment programs, but they certainly don't work for everyone. I guess if you are dealing with a personal situation regarding someone you love, I would pray and seek professional counsel - that way you are covering all the bases. :)

one reason i discount all this spirit possession stuf is one word.

WHY??

ok.

so God almighty tells you that guy is possessed with a devil spirit ohno oh no run away be afraid very afraid.

IM God! he isnt ,run we have a problem we cant solve together it makes God helpless and puts issues and problems in life into mankinds areana to deal with now.

it teaches fear it teaches people god cant work in situations .

why would god tell you something about a person ,then say o well such a shame in life these things happen?

yes i do believe we live a spiritual life and i think it is meant to be a spirit filed life and by that i mean god is bigger and loves us more than any of these "devils" .

i think it causes anxiety within the christian and non christian churches and groups.

they have an ad for a link for bi-polor on this page lololololololo

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Oak, in the Advanced Class, VPW associated alcoholism with "possession." Outfield, addictions are often one of those things in life that really make us wonder. The addict knows just as well as anyone else that the drug (whether it be alcohol, gambling...) is destroying them, yet they do it. Like the Columbine incident, we who are not in that web of bondage cannot fathom how this can be. Seizures can also fall into this category, as you mentioned. We don't understand it. However, in some cases, medical discoveries have uncovered certain mysteries of metabolism, etc. and can help the afflicted medically.

The practice of casting out of spirits has been a checkered one. Certainly, Jesus did it, if we consider the Bible a reliable record. Then, remember the seven sons of Sceva???? One of the most reasonable voices in the healing field is a guy by the name of Francis MacNutt. Wish I could remember the title of the most recent book I read by him, but he makes a case for how believers have been talked out of healing, particularly during the Reformation! Modern believer practicioners have often read books by Derek Prince (They Shall Expel Demons) and Frank Hammond (Pigs in the Parlor). Prince makes a good distinction regarding "demonization" and doesn't like the term "possession."

"Not everything is written in your books, Stephen." (Quoted from Master and Commander, with Russel Crowe)

My "take" is that it is possible for those who are joined with God to help deliver the oppressed, whatever form their oppression takes. Jesus said, "if I with the finger of God cast out spirits... you know that the kingdom of God has come unto you." (from memory.... something to that effect) Those who love as Jesus loved can do as Jesus did. But it's not something you can teach in an "Advanced Class." Love really does not lend itself to academic discovery. It's the realm of mothers and brothers and well, lovers.

my 1-and-a-half cents