GreaseSpot Cafe

Google Ads

anotherDan

Someone else here has mentioned them... it seems to me that the Google ads are context-sensitive to what's going on in the thread, which is very clever. (Google was voted #1 place to work in America by a top business magazine.)

So if someone has a signature line about Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, we get ads for Fred Astaire ringtones. What a fascinating modern age we live in!

It's my understanding that google ads are placed based on reading ALL words on the page in which the ads are to be posted.

That's how it works on GMAIL (as I have a gmail account). Google has been emphatic that it is not a compromise on privacy because even though the words on the page are read and related ads placed, there is no tracking and it's pretty obvious (to most, I believe) that the ads do NOT always make sense based on what is actually being discussed on the page.

That was my sense, too, Rocky. The ads seem to get more narrowed in once a thread gets long... more words to process... notice how generic the ads are on this short thread. It gets pretty funny, though, on a long thread, as they try to electronically "figure out" what might appeal to us. (It's just keywords, I would guess. Advertisers have their ads posted when certain keywords come up._

Edited by anotherDan

no one does guess!

it is ponds cold cream!!!

i had some sitting on my desk when i wrote in!!

deep stuff huh?

hahahaha

Pond -- that's funny! ;)

Reminds me of the Statler Brothers (the country music group).

Here's how they got their name -----

In the early days, each of the group members held other full-time jobs and performed in the evenings and weekends at dozens of area churches, schools and community centers. Joe left the group, and about 1961, Harold reformed it with his younger brother Don, in Joe's place.

At this time, they called themselves the Kingsmen. Their big break came in 1964, the group was hired by Johnny Cash to open his show. For the next eight and one half years, they "got paid by Cash" as the story goes.

Where'd they get their name? About this time, there was another group called the Kingsmen who had a hit called "Louie, Louie" and that caused the group name to be changed. As legend has it, they were sitting in a hotel room when Harold saw a box of Statler tissues and suggested the name "The Statler Brothers."

There was the Statler Hotel in New York too, so it was a name that smacked of class. As Harold has often said, "We might have been called the Kleenex Brothers." So there you have it, the name came from a box of Statler tissues.

:)