GreaseSpot Cafe

iTunes U.

satori001

Download and install iTunes, register with the usual junk (probably requires a credit card), and go to the iTunes Store, you will find a link for iTunes U.

At first glance I thought it was course-ware on how to buy from iTunes.

Not so. Instead it's a portal to various, free, online educational resources from schools with pedigrees like MIT and Duke.

You don't have to use iTunes, but it makes it easier, and they will probably assemble a growing number of "free" courses as it catches on.

Obviously this requires bandwidth, because the downloads are pretty big. If you don't have the equipment capable of doing this, you might try a local library. Otherwise, just figure you couldn't go to MIT before, and you still can't. Net gain = net loss.

Here is a direct link to the MIT site: http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/index.htm

The courses seem to be both very informative, and very accessible. If you have an iPod, you can take the lectures with you. If you don't have one, you should consider it. It will liberate your music collection, and your brain, from the limitations of the CD player and commercial radio. Again, obviously you'll need the right equipment. iPod and iTunes are Apple products but compatible with PCs.

I've started the MIT course called Introduction to Psychology. It's old material for me, but a great survey of the field today, and a good refresher course. It's a live class, recorded in the classroom. The first session begins with the usual admin stuff getting cleared out of the way, but you can skip ahead about 15 minutes.

It's not for everybody, but some of you have been starving your brains since you left college (or joined TWI) and others always knew they were too smart for the room but never had a chance to go on to college, or grad school for that matter.

Some of you will be thrilled to know there is a theological seminary course list included. Some of you could take a course together and organize a discussion around it, rather than recycling the same old arguments and opinions ad nauseum.

Try it out. Again, the iPod goes anywhere. It's over-priced and still worth the money. I have the 30G version that plays video, but the courses are mostly audio so you can use cheaper models. The classes can be saved to mp3 so other players will work too. Don't ask me how to do it. It's an iTunes option.

Hey Satori, haven't seen you around for awhile, how the heck are ya?

That sounds cool. I've been wanting to go back and get a higher degree for a long time now. That might just be the answer (since I lack the time AND finances to go back to college in the traditional way).

Rick

My grandson, Cletus(that's his name) wants me to find out iffen they's gotta link to Pike's Peak Bible Learnin' School.

I'm a hopin' this here post goes thru, as the snow seems to be buildin' up pretty fast on the satellite dish.

Peace out.

Waysider -----8/15/2007(Whew! It sure is hot outside!)

PS-- My granddaughter Clara Belle (that's short for Helen) made me do the "peace out" thing.

Sigh----- Where do these youg'uns get this stuff?

Edited by waysider

Hey Satori, haven't seen you around for awhile, how the heck are ya?

Rick

As well as can be expected Rick. Thanks for asking.

I've discovered, nearly by accident, that the Earth is not round, but curved. To see flat, or not to see flat, that is the question.

Suppose we'd all followed Jerry instead of Vic? We'd have put those harmonies to much better use, that's probably a fact.

Sat - thanks for the info. If you're only using your ipod to listen to music or lectures or podcasts, you're missing out on some cool features:

I also have the 30g video ipod and love it. I use it to record meetings (check out italk adapters sometimes) and transcribe them. It's sync'd to my addressbook and calendar. I have reminders that pop up for appointments and recently I got an adapter that allows me to plug it into the stereo in my minivan and play videos, movies and music, so I don't have to haul out (and scratch) DVD and CDs. It's replaced my pocket pc and is way more user friendly to use. And don't get me started on some of the games - there's some cool little games that you can play with those things - like music trivia.

Check it out sometime - you might find you have more uses for that little 30g hd than you thought!

I had come across free audio course lectures from Reformed Theological Seminary shortly before finding this thread. I don’t own an iPod, and I’m not wild about having to use iTunes to access files, but I did manage, after downloading a few files through iTunes, to copy and paste them into a folder from which they would upload to my Creative Labs audio player.

RTS ( http://www.rts.edu ) has put up an impressive offering (e.g. Old Testament, New Testament, Systematic Theology, an overview of the history of philosophy by John Frame) of free lectures, as Covenant Theological Seminary ( http://www.covenantseminary.edu ) has been doing (without going through iTunes) for some time. Now, if only Westminster Theological Seminary ( http://wts.edu , http://www.wscal.edu ) would follow suit.

Edited by Cynic