GreaseSpot Cafe

Having faith in a situation

Suppose another has behaviors which are harmful to you, or an illness which is bankrupting you?

If "Apple" prays for God's protection, the other relative, say has an expensive disease like cancer, therefore the disease is breaking Apple, will God heal them, we will call her Grape, so that Apple stays healthy and blessed?

What comes to mind is the prayer of a righteous man availth much.

But then I hear in my head Vp saying, something like, we can only believe for someone too young like an infant or someone who maybe in something like a coma, then our will covers them.

FOUND IT ON THE NET:

Example:

As soon as the leaders came to his home, the centurion said, "Go quickly and find Jesus. BEG Him to come and heal my servant." Knowing how very much the centurion loved their nation and how much he had given so they could have their very own synagogue, they quickly obeyed and started out to find Jesus.

It wasn't easy, for the men had to push their way through the crowded streets. However, the synagogue leaders soon found Jesus. They wasted no time at all getting right up to where Jesus could hear them and immediately started to earnestly plead with Him to come with them and heal the centurion's dying servant. "If anyone deserves your help, it is this man," they urged. "He loves the Jews and even paid personally to build us a synagogue."

After listening intently to the men, Jesus said, "I will come and heal his servant." He then followed the synagogue leaders through the crowded streets, as they led the way to the respected centurion's home.

Not far from the home, friends of the centurion arrived with a message for Jesus. "Sir, do not trouble yourself to come to my home, for I am unworthy for you to enter under my roof or even to come and meet you. Just speak a word, and I know my dear servant will be healed," the centurion's message read. "I know how it is, for I receive orders from my superior officers and I give orders to those under my authority. All I have to say is, 'Go!' and they go, or 'Come!' and they come, and to my servant, 'Do this or that' and he does it. So if you just say, 'Be healed,' my servant will be made well."

When Jesus heard the centurion's words, he was totally amazed. Jesus marveled at the faith of the centurion. He turned around and said to the crowd that was following Him, "Never among all the Jews in Israel have I met a man with faith like this." Then the centurion came himself and Jesus turned to him and said, "Go your way. Just as you have believed, it will be done."

What if the desire of Apple's heart is to see Grape be healed.

How much can be done do to Apple's faith?

I know about free will. But in order to bless Apple, Grape needs to be set free of cancer....

Edited by Dot Matrix

Words and Works

What do you think? About the Centurion asking for the miracle for his servant?

Does not say the servant was a believer. Seemed like a nice giving guy, maybe.

But the Centurion ASKED for someone who was not him, and that someone was healed.

I have been thinking. Nobody wants to be sick, except for some attention seeking weirdos. So, the desire to be well, is there.

Their will is to be well.... Now toss in prayer of a righteous man, how much can it avail?

What happens when we wear out, can someone really stand in the gap with their faith in Jesus for your healing?

What about the guy in India, in Piffle, do you think it happened -- I believe you can heal me but I do not believe in your Jesus....

Or does the sick person have to beg and believe so to speak?

What if the sick person's sickness is ruining the faithful's life, can the faithful claim deliverance for the sick person?

(Such as schizophrenia-- I ask this as a believing mother had an adult son with this, each day she and her prayer partner prayed for his deliverance. They (mother and prayer partner) took him off the meds and continued in prayer. The son had been raped many times in childhood and had a splintering. Anyway, the son killed the mother by stabbing her. The autopsy said the wounds were not deep enough (kid had hand problems) to kill her, so it was as if she gave up during the crime. BUT I think prayer can work on another person, as in these biblical records, however, in this woman's case she should not have taken him off the meds. )

Are there hard fast rules? The man whose son threw hiself in the fires -- well, the father asked for help for his son, the son didn't ask. And he was healed. So was the centurions servant.

Gospel of Mark -

When the disciples ask in 9:28, “Why could we not cast it out?”, Jesus responds by saying “This kind (γένος) can come out only through prayer.” The first problem is that Jesus doesn’t pray to cause the spirit to come out. Why not? In the story, the reason that the spirit comes out is because the father believes.

Edited by Dot Matrix

In my opinion, this "believing" stuff is all out of wack.

Or maybe I should say, "It's all wacky".

Simply put, if you don't believe God can answer your prayer(s), you wouldn't go to Him in the first place.

Sure, you believe the chair will hold you when you sit down, but your believing had nothing to do with the fact that it held you. Try to reverse it if you need to prove it. Tell yourself it's going to collapse when you sit in it and see if the results differ.

This so called "law" of believing is contrived by the mind of Man,otherwise it would be dependent on our works.

In other words, "if I work hard enough to bolster my believing, I will see results." is a bunch of nonsense.(IMO)

God does not expect us to be some kind of "super stars of believing", He just expects us to bring our concerns to Him with a genuine and open heart. If you didn't believe He could help you, it's not likely you would do that.

How does the fervent prayer of a righteous man avail much?

The same way discussions with my family members adds depth to our relationships.

Dear (((((((((Dot))))))))))),

I don't know for certain the answer to what You are asking; but I am praying for "Apple" and "Grape" their loved ones and You, knowing that God does have all of the answers. I am praying that He Helps You find the ones you need and the ones You are looking for and I know He is there always to comfort your beautiful heart and help You to guard and protect it!

But can your loving faithful prayer bring the healing to (say) a woman who has given up?

Then, it seems as if it is works....

So, what does the prayer of a righteous man do? Help her with her faith? Keep her peaceful as she dies?

What is our part in this? Is prayer works, or an expected release of the problem to God?

The more I look, the more I do NOT get it.

Or does there have to be (at least) two in agreement. What does God want from us? What is our part in all of this?

I see asking and faith...

Does the sick person have to have faith? Or when they are beaten down, can our faith fill the void?

How does the fervent prayer of a righteous man avail much?

The same way discussions with my family members adds depth to our relationships.

This makes sense

Dot

Many years ago, one of my family members who was anti-God, anti-Bible, anti-religion, fell into a terminal, vegetative state. I'm quite certain he would have had no interest in trying to "believe" for deliverance.

One day, my mother, a very wonderful twig leader, laid hands on him and prayed.

He sat up like Rip Van Winkle and demanded to know what had happened and why he was in the hospital bed.

My mother took a few minutes and explained to him what had happened and told him he should be thankful God had healed him.

He became indignant and insisted that if it had anything to do with God, he DID NOT want it.

He demanded God take back His gift.

With that, he fell back into his previous state, where he remained for the rest of his life.

What's my point?

His "believing" had absolutely nothing to do with what took place.

My mother went to God with a loving and open heart and God heard her request.

I know that's just a personal anecdote but I think there is some sort of lesson in it.

WOW

And what a dumb thing for the guy to do, huh?

I am blown away.

From what I am seeing sometimes other people are doing the asking, but how does that affect the other person's free will.

Maybe I need to breath and remember it is God's show.

I asked a guy, who is in a splinter of sorts, to pray for my "guy" and he told me "If he is not really into it, it is a waste of my time."

Edited by Dot Matrix

Words and Works

What do you think? About the Centurion asking for the miracle for his servant?

Does not say the servant was a believer. Seemed like a nice giving guy, maybe.

But the Centurion ASKED for someone who was not him, and that someone was healed.

I have been thinking. Nobody wants to be sick, except for some attention seeking weirdos. So, the desire to be well, is there.

Their will is to be well.... Now toss in prayer of a righteous man, how much can it avail?

What happens when we wear out, can someone really stand in the gap with their faith in Jesus for your healing?

Dot, great point, The servant was obviously someone the Centurion cared about and he went to Jesus to ask for healing on his behalf. Sure seems like we can and should do the same for those we care about.

Intercession is standing in the gap, we all have gaps and we all need others to pray for us. Paul always asked people to pray for him, he realized he needed it.

What about the guy in India, in Piffle, do you think it happened -- I believe you can heal me but I do not believe in your Jesus....

Don't know for sure but it sounds like something that an Indian person would say. Chuck's been to India twice and seen miracles both times. When people are desperate they have nowhere else to turn but to God. That's how Jesus evangelized, by healing people. They wouldn't have believed his words if he didn't have the goods to prove it. How do we know Jesus was raised from the dead, because He still heals people today.

What if the sick person's sickness is ruining the faithful's life, can the faithful claim deliverance for the sick person?

(Such as schizophrenia-- I ask this as a believing mother had an adult son with this, each day she and her prayer partner prayed for his deliverance. They (mother and prayer partner) took him off the meds and continued in prayer. The son had been raped many times in childhood and had a splintering. Anyway, the son killed the mother by stabbing her. The autopsy said the wounds were not deep enough (kid had hand problems) to kill her, so it was as if she gave up during the crime. BUT I think prayer can work on another person, as in these biblical records, however, in this woman's case she should not have taken him off the meds. )

Maybe she died from a broken heart. Yeah, she shouldn't have taken him off the meds.

Wisdom is a good thing to seek after when dealing with mental illness, but God is still in the healing business.

Are there hard fast rules? The man whose son threw hiself in the fires -- well, the father asked for help for his son, the son didn't ask. And he was healed. So was the centurions servant.

Gospel of Mark -

I don't know about hard fast rules, but I think the Bible was written so we could see what can be done. So if the father asked for help for his son and received it and the centurion asked for help and received it, then we can too.

When the disciples ask in 9:28, “Why could we not cast it out?”, Jesus responds by saying “This kind (γένος) can come out only through prayer.” The first problem is that Jesus doesn’t pray to cause the spirit to come out. Why not? In the story, the reason that the spirit comes out is because the father believes.

I thought he meant they needed to pray more, like as in being prayed up in preparation for a spiritual battle. When it comes to casting out demons, as far as I've seen, you don't pray them out, you command them.

WOW

And what a dumb thing for the guy to do, huh?

I am blown away.

From what I am seeing sometimes other people are doing the asking, but how does that affect the other person's free will.

Maybe I need to breath and remember it is God's show.

I asked a guy, who is in a splinter of sorts, to pray for my "guy" and he told me "If he is not really into it, it is a waste of my time."

Waysider, Wow. Thanks for sharing that.

Dot, If someone tells you prayer is a waste of time, I wouldn't ask him for prayer any more, but that's just me.