GreaseSpot Cafe

Getting Old

vickles

A family member sent this to me today and thought that some of you would enjoy reading this.

The other day a young person asked me how I felt about being old. I was taken aback, for I do not think of myself as old. Upon seeing my reaction, she was immediately embarrassed, but I explained that it was an interesting question, and I would ponder it, and let her know.

Old Age, I decided, is a gift. I am now, probably for the first time in my life, the person I have always wanted to be. Oh, not my body! I sometime despair over my body, the wrinkles, the baggy eyes, and the sagging butt. And often I am taken aback by that old person that lives in my mirror (who looks like my mother!), but I don't agonize over those things for long.

I would never trade my amazing friends, my wonderful life, my loving family for less gray hair or a flatter belly. As I' ve aged, I've become more kind to myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend. I don't chide myself for eating that extra cookie, or for not making my bed, or for buying that silly cement gecko that I didn't need, but looks so avante garde on my patio. I am entitled to a treat, to be messy, to be extravagant.

I have seen too many dear friends leave this world too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging.

Whose business is it if I choose to read or play on the computer until 4 AM and sleep until noon?

I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 60&70's, and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love ... I will.

I will walk the beach in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body, and will dive into the waves with abandon if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet set.

They, too, will get old.

I know I am sometimes forgetful. But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. And I eventually remember the important things.

Sure, over the years my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when somebody's beloved pet gets hit by a car? But broken hearts are what give us strength and understanding and compas sion. A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face. So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn silver.

As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore. I've even earned the right to be wrong.

So, to answer your question, I like being old. It has set me free. I like the person I have & nbsp;become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every single day. (If I feel like it)

MAY OUR FRIENDSHIP NEVER COME APART ESPECIALLY WHEN IT'S STRAIGHT FROM THE HEART!

MAY YOU ALWAYS HAVE A RAINBOW OF SMILES ON YOUR FACE AND IN YOUR HEART FOREVER AND EVER!

Vickles.....great post !!

When I read it, this poem came to mind, don't know if you've heard it before, I have framed on my living room wall, one of my favourites !

Warning

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple

With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.

And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves

And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.

I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired

And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells

And run my stick along the public railings

And make up for the sobriety of my youth.

I shall go out in my slippers in the rain

And pick flowers in other people's gardens

And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat

And eat three pounds of sausages at a go

Or only bread and pickle for a week

And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry

And pay our rent and not swear in the street

And set a good example for the children.

We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?

So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised

When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

Jenny Joseph

Edited by Cowgirl

I don't have to write my autobiography now. It's already been done! Love your post, Vickles!

Cowgirl, I have a poem similar to yours downstairs and love it, too. My favorite color is purple, and I love practicing! My kids were shocked at first, but now love it when I act my age and enjoy the freedom of being in the nifty fifty club!

Love being who I am and wouldn't trade this age for any other.

Suda

Cowgirl that was good too.

I am amazed how wonderful it is to be myself also. I love to be able to speak my mind when I want to. Or be quiet because I want to. I can' t believe how much I worried about other people and what they thought of me. Or worried that my house was messy. Now I think that is for the young...let them worry. If they don't like what they see its their problem... :rolleyes:

How wonderful to be free of all that!!!!! :dance::dance::dance:

I love these quotations about "Growing Older:"

"Beauty is in the eye of the behoder"

~Margret Wolfe Hungerford~

"A Heart in Love with beauty never grows old"

~Unknown~

"Grow old along with me! The best is yet to be, the last of life, for which the first was made. Our times are in his hand who saith,`A whole I planned, youth shows but half, Trust God, See all, nor be afraid' "

~Robert Browning~

Change has a considerable psychological impact on the human mind. To the fearful it is threatening because it means that things may get worse. To the hopeful it is encouraging because things may get better. To the confident it is inspiring because the challenge exists to make things better.

~King Whitney Jr.~

"We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves."

~Lynn Hall~

Vickles.....great post !!

When I read it, this poem came to mind, don't know if you've heard it before, I have framed on my living room wall, one of my favourites !

Warning

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple

With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.

And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves

And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.

I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired

And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells

And run my stick along the public railings

And make up for the sobriety of my youth.

I shall go out in my slippers in the rain

And pick flowers in other people's gardens

And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat

And eat three pounds of sausages at a go

Or only bread and pickle for a week

And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry

And pay our rent and not swear in the street

And set a good example for the children.

We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?

So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised

When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

Jenny Joseph

I very much like this Cowgirl!

Edited by RainbowsGirl

hey kids,i will be 60 next year{i hope}

i wouldn't trade if for anything' cept 70!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i retired young {45} whoopie!!!!!!!!!

and i enjoy life

i don't have much be i have what i want {mostly}

wish i had the sex drive i had a few years ago lol but thats ok

when i meet someone new and they ask me if i have lived here all my life my answer is....

not yet!

Edited by coolchef

My "Purple" poem was probably adapted from the one by Jenny Joseph. No author is noted.

When I am old, I shall wear purple . . . with a red hat which is not in style and I shall spend my retirement on brandy and cholcolate and costume jewelry and the lottery.

When I am old, I shall wear purple . . . I will dust my house with a glance and leave my nose prints on clean store windows and laugh even at myself and make up for the seriousness of my youth.

When I am old, I shall wear purple . . . and go barefooted in the rain and do "midnight gradening" and learn to spit!

But . . . I think I should begin a little now . . . so my friends and family are not too shocked when all of a sudden I'm eccentric and old and start to wear purple!

Purple has always been my favorite color. As a child, it was next to impossible to find any "store bought" clothes that were purple. However, my grandmother was an expert seamstress and kept me outfitted nicely. It was one of her favorite colors, also.

Several years ago, when I started turning grey, my natural look was the "Elvira look". The grey came in broad bands in the front around my face, the rest of my hair had little sprinkles of grey, but mostly brunette. I didn't like looking like Elvira, so decided to color my hair. And if I was going to color it, I decided to use my favorite color, purple. My hairdresser thought I was crazy but went along with it. We found a shade that colors the grey well, but is quite subtle. In the right light, you can tell it's purple, and it usually makes people take a second look, and most smile and say "I like your hair". Often it goes unnoticed, just dark and not grey.

My daughter's were in high school when I started "going purple". People would ask, "what is your mother like", and their reply would be "Well, she dyes her hair purple. What do you think?". Glad I started showing my eccentric side early, so people won't be shocked as I come into full bloom as a "Red Hat Lady" sporting purple hair!

Suda (into Purple Power!)

Dear Suda,

I picture your hair as very artistically designed, classy and trendsetting...stunningly done!

I may just put my beads and long thin spaced braids back in my hair with red and gold highlights may even a little purple dipped ends and express myself too!

"But . . . I think I should begin a little now . . . so my friends and family are not too shocked when all of a sudden I'm eccentric and old and start to wear purple!"