GreaseSpot Cafe

Has anyone seen one of these before?

danteh1

Yeah,

When I was in Japan the last time, I saw a news report about these. I guess they're easier to store and cut up? Not quite sure, my Japanese wasn't good enough to decipher what they were saying about the purpose of the whole concept.

This is the country that injects sugarwater into strawberries to make them sweeter and feeds beer and cornmash to their steers (and also gives them massages twice a day), and invented the cultured pearl, and Godzilla. Natural things can always be made a little better with the proper treatment...

Something that the japanese watermellon growers have started to produce.

Square watermellons.

Here are the pics to prove it.

I can't imagine it would be that difficult to grow them like that. Just put a box around each blossom to limit/define the parameters of growth. If the leaves get sunlight, that should make it workable for the fruit to develop in the box.

And it seems like it WOULD make for more orderly storage and transport.

I've heard of them before and seen them in some of their comic books. I guess it would keep the watermellons from rolling around - a very neat idea.

Geo - the sugar water into the strawberries idea is great. So yummy! I didn't realize they did that over there. :3 There is a chocolate store down the road from my house - they make chocolate covered strawberries. The owner injects the strawberries with some sugar soda water and dips them. When you bite into them they fizz - it's a neat little treat.

Something that the japanese watermellon growers have started to produce.

Square watermellons.

Here are the pics to prove it.

In 2001 these things were selling for $83 a piece in Japan.

BBC article

They might have something here, if they can do that with all fruits then the storage of apples and oranges will be easier.

Imagine cubed potatoes, perfect french fries every time.

Seth