GreaseSpot Cafe

Meteors peak tonight

rhino

I just saw this ... will go out a little later ...

Many meteor showers tend to disappoint, but the annual Geminid shower is relatively reliable. And this year's version, which peaks tonight, is expected to be a great one.

Meteors could start showing up anytime after dark this evening, Dec. 13, low on the eastern horizon. A better display should begin after 10 p.m. or so, when the constellation Gemini, from which the meteors emanate, rises higher into the Eastern sky.

• Click here to visit FOXNews.com's Space Center.

By 2 a.m. Friday, Dec. 14, Gemini is directly overhead, and meteors will streak outward in all directions like spokes on a wheel, weather permitting.

Forecasters predict one or two shooting stars per minute during the peak hours.

Be patient

The Geminids will not put on anything like the dramatic meteor storms associated with the November Leonids around the turn of the millennium several years ago, but the Geminids are known to be extremely reliable. Experts figure this year will be better than usual.

How cool, ButNowISee. I never knew you could see them in daylight. What did it look like?

Rhino, I skimmed GS last night before going to bed, and I must have made a mental note of this thread's title, because sometime during the night I had a lovely, vivid dream of meteor showers that seemed to go on for quite some time. So thanks for the thread! I got to "see" them without standing outside in the snow and sleet and rain and slush!

Rhino, I skimmed GS last night before going to bed, and I must have made a mental note of this thread's title, because sometime during the night I had a lovely, vivid dream of meteor showers that seemed to go on for quite some time. So thanks for the thread! I got to "see" them without standing outside in the snow and sleet and rain and slush!

Well that is great Linda ... glad I inspired some pleasant dreams ... vivid meteor showers ... no fireworks? trains going in tunnels? :biglaugh:

I didn't go out either , we had snow falling ... but that is really cool, "but now I see", that must have been huge to see before dark.

Yeah, it was weird, made me think of how the shuttle Columbia broke up over TX that morning.  It was bright white light that streaked across the sky, fast, low, but a short distance, it looked like a big piece of shrapnal by the size of the front end of the streak.  Just like at night, but durring the day.

That's wild, butnowIsee. I'll bet not many people have seen those!

Rhino, no trains in tunnels...sorry to disappoint. :lol: However, some of the meteors clustered into what looked like white fireworks. It was really cool. I love meteor showers, but at this time of year, watching them from under the nice, warm covers was a bonus!

The Geminids will not put on anything like the dramatic meteor storms associated with the November Leonids around the turn of the millennium several years ago, but the Geminids are known to be extremely unreliable. Experts figure this year will be stranger than usual. :spy:

What if these cosmic 'disturbances' are REALLY connected to our human 'relatives' out there somewhere in the twi-light zone? And what if they turn out to be a cadre of cult-christians, coming here to "witness" The Word! :blink:

Maybe a space craft will land, and out pops VP and his space friends? :evildenk: What will you do?? Home...ET Back to Emporia and Ohio! :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFO

http://blog.wired.com/defense/2007/12/japan-lacks-ufo.html

Maybe a space craft will land, and out pops VP and his space friends? :evildenk: What will you do?? Home...ET Back to Emporia and Ohio! :(

Well there are a couple cults that believe in the spaceship stuff ... Scientology ... and who did the suicides, supposely to meet up with some spaceship? Jim Jones?

But if we are making up space friends,

alnbbe2.gifamazonwomen.JPG