GreaseSpot Cafe

Messiah

Cynic

I came across a performance of Handel's Messiah on the internet.

Some good news:

What I’ve listened to of the webcast seems to be a world-class performance of Handel’s classic.

Some bad news:

What I’ve read at the church’s website seems to reveal a governing theology and ministerial position that has abandoned the redeemer/redemption center of Christianity to embrace the apostasy of a smiley pluralism whose content was well-characterized by H. Richard Niebuhr in his criticism of theological liberalism:

“A God without wrath brought men without sin into a kingdom without judgment through ministrations of a Christ without a cross."

Think, examine, reflect, mourn, repent, enjoy:

http://www.trinitywallstreet.org/onlinetv/...d=40725&s=1

Edited by ModDog

Regardless of whether they cross their T's and dot their i's according to your acceptable formula,

Trinity Wall Street has and continues to be one of the most historic and important churches in the country's history.

It was where George Washington was inaugurated and being in the shadow of the World Trade Center, the center of ministry during the aftermath of 9/11.

Say what you will--they have a rich 200+ year history that is not easily matched by many churches in this country for its overall impact and contributions to our society....and the musics not bad either

I have heard (not live) the Mormon Tabernacle Choir do The Messiah, and I sure would pass on getting involved with the Mormon Church, but that choir does a world class job on the music. (A lot better than our poor little Way C. of E. choir did with the Hallelujah Chorus at ROA 1978 when we followed Ted Ferrel).

If you would like to hear the ne plus ultra of choral singing I recommend King's College Choir. They're doing a show on many NPR stations as we speak.

The Mormon Tabernacle is great, but they pound the Messiah into the ground. The Messiah calls for a small ensemble of instruments and usually no more than 16 voices. Done properly, the baroque clarity shines through and the voices remain distinct. Not only is it a work of genius, it is a work of divine inspiration, imo.

The Mormon Tabernacle is great, but they pound the Messiah into the ground. The Messiah calls for a small ensemble of instruments and usually no more than 16 voices. Done properly, the baroque clarity shines through and the voices remain distinct. Not only is it a work of genius, it is a work of divine inspiration, imo.

Well then Evan, maybe our little C of E group wasnt that bad...though I dont think we had ideal sound equipment.

My .02 cents worth??? (And I've yet to click a link here ---)

If ya can't listen to music and enjoy it -- without micro-scrutinizing the *theology* behind it --

A Psychiatrist might be in your immediate future. :)

Not condemning, but just saying.

I can listen to a choir singing in a concert hall,

or a bunch of *plain folks* swatting out a bluegrass tune on a front porch somewhere,

and the thought of *where are they coming from*, never crosses my mind.

I'm there to listen to the music. And THAT is what is being offered.

Try that approach. You might like it. :)

My .02 cents worth??? (And I've yet to click a link here ---)

If ya can't listen to music and enjoy it -- without micro-scrutinizing the *theology* behind it --

A Psychiatrist might be in your immediate future.

Not condemning, but just saying.

I can listen to a choir singing in a concert hall,

or a bunch of *plain folks* swatting out a bluegrass tune on a front porch somewhere,

and the thought of *where are they coming from*, never crosses my mind.

I'm there to listen to the music. And THAT is what is being offered.

Try that approach. You might like it.

:eusa_clap: My sentiments exactly

I listened to this entire Messiah yesterday and was blown away. An absolutely amazing piece of music

If someone wants to produce one better than that one I heard , then maybe they can talk-(but it still wont interest me)