GreaseSpot Cafe

New Year Goals

polar bear

Remember how in Der Veg we were taught that making new years resolutions was wrong because of some stupid spiritual reason.

I don't think there is anything wrong with setting goals for the new year.

Anyone have any they care to share.

Mine-

Get a second career established

Get in better financial shape.

The only thing I remember about that was that it made no sense, and was wasting time if there was something you wanted to work on, or start etc. Just for example, your idea...why wait until Jan 1 to implement it?

On the other hand, there are a few times each year where I stop and review certain areas of my life to see how I'm doing in relation to reaching certain goals - - and if I need to make adjustments, I do it. I always did that, even when I was in, I just kept it to myself and went about my way! :wink2:

I have a problem with New Year's goals.

Well, not really with the goal part so much as the New Year's part.

I mean, a a friend of mine at work told me, about a month ago, that his NY goal was to quit smoking.

I said, "Great!, but why wait another month?"

Not only that, but if you "fall off the wagon", in let's say March, you've screwed up an entire year's worth of goal seeking.

If you stop smoking for "today", you can only screw up today's goal.

Tomorrow is a whole new start.

So, if you want to quit smoking, start now.

If you want to be a better musician, head for the "woodshed" and start hammering.

If you want to go back to school, start investigating possibilities.

Don't wait, if the opportunity to pursue your goal is within reach.

I don't know if that makes much sense but that's my take on it.

Ahhhh! Now quitting smoking is a horse of a different color. One needs to get your head prepared, and possibly get some prescriptions filled. Failure and quitting is not final failure. Experts now say that one sometimes must go through the process several times before finally being able to quit, in fact, they say those "failures" are part of the quit process itself. It doesn't make sense to me, yet that's what I discovered when I quit. I tried for 5 years, and seriously kept at it for 3 years until I could go 4 months or so without breaking down....and now I think I've got it pretty well quit, although I need to be diligent.

Smoking is not a habit which can be changed in the twinkling of an eye, it is a physical, psychological and social addiction with may not be beat by one single attempt. It may take several before that door is finally beat down for good. It's really no different than alcohol. I say I want to stop drinking, but I go out with my buddies in a couple of weeks and belt back a few. Well, get up, shake off the dust from your feet and try again with a little help sometimes and repeat until you've succeeded.

Ahhhh! Now quitting smoking is a horse of a different color. One needs to get your head prepared, and possibly get some prescriptions filled. Failure and quitting is not final failure. Experts now say that one sometimes must go through the process several times before finally being able to quit, in fact, they say those "failures" are part of the quit process itself. It doesn't make sense to me, yet that's what I discovered when I quit. I tried for 5 years, and seriously kept at it for 3 years until I could go 4 months or so without breaking down....and now I think I've got it pretty well quit, although I need to be diligent.

Smoking is not a habit which can be changed in the twinkling of an eye, it is a physical, psychological and social addiction with may not be beat by one single attempt. It may take several before that door is finally beat down for good. It's really no different than alcohol. I say I want to stop drinking, but I go out with my buddies in a couple of weeks and belt back a few. Well, get up, shake off the dust from your feet and try again with a little help sometimes and repeat until you've succeeded.

Amen, Sistah! :)

I quit smoking almost 25 years ago and it's no picnic.(FO SHO!)

I guess what I meant is that if you want to quit smoking (or whatever the goal) and it requires some advance preparation, don't wait for some arbitrary day to start the process in motion.

I especially agree with the part of your post regarding "try, try again".

If you say you are going to quit smoking forever, it sounds pretty overwhelming to the human mind.

If you say you are not going to smoke today, it's easier to convince yourself it's possible.

Then too, if you slip today, there's always tomorrow to "try again".

:wave:

I'm all for starting things right away. But perhaps thinking of the new year could inspire new thinking and hence change.

Wasn't necessarily thinking about quiting smoking as a goal.

What's the matter with staring the new year with chages in any aspect ofl life.

Twi was so ignorant about recognizing that any kind of thinking along this line was so unspiritual.

Anywho-Happy New Year Everyone. Wahooo.

Edited by polar bear

"New Year's resolutions are a recipe for failure!" Thus quoth the great LCM. Well, perhaps if he had made a few NY resolutions, he and the remains of TWI would not have fallen into such disaster. And taken many good people with them. :realmad:

Thanks for starting this topic. When the new year dawned, I found myself thinking this stupid phrase and avoiding action; and this topic has helped me address and clear out another aspect of Waybrain.

It's always a good time to take time to review and consider what can be done better in the future. The few days holiday many people get at around this time of year gives perhaps a little more time with spouses and other loved ones to talk things over together and set new goals, desires, for the forthcoming period.

But if you've made up your mind - why wait? Today is the first day of the rest of your life, may as well get the benefits for the longest period!

Why not - "new month resolutions" or "new week resolutions"? Or even, "new day resolutions"?

Life consists of lots of failures, some big, some small, of goals that were not achieved. God did not call us to be perfect. He expects us to "fail" in various ways (isn't that why he sent JC?). He expects us to be faithful and to pick ourselves up when we fail (that's why forgiveness is readily available). And ideally not to fail so badly next time. Failure in a way means achievement. If we did not fail, we would never be seeking to achieve.

Go ahead. Set some goals/NY resolutions, fall over a few times, but keep moving. New Year resolutions are a recipe for progress. :eusa_clap:

Lamentations 3:21-36

21 Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: 22 Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. 23 They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.

After much heartfelt consideration and deep thought, I've decided to make 9 New Years resolutions that I would most likely keep.

It may be rough, but just keeping them will help build my resolve and tenacity, if nothing else.

1. I will consume no rutabagas.

2. I will not travel to Afghanistan and ride a camel through a field of daisys.

3. I won't buy a Citroen DS Palas.

4. Like Rocky, I won't get an abortion.

5. I'll always make certain I'm wearing clean underwear when I answer the door to Jehovah's Witnesses.

6. I'll teach Andrew to drive.

7. I'll go to Michigan this year.

8. I won't join the Army.

9. I'll set a limit of my computer time to a maximum of 22 hours per day.