GreaseSpot Cafe

Bowl Games

Danny

LSU playing a home game (very unfair)

It's not unfair, bozz. The venue for this years' BCS championship game was set some years ago. LSU just happened to get into the game the year it is down the road. I think 'good fortune' describes it better.

I wish I could muster Danny's bravura but I can't. We had a very entertaining season (heart stopping is more like it) but we were plagued by injuries and didn't play well especially down the stretch. I'm worried, but hopeful (how's that for incorrect Wayisms??). I think we are more talented, but football is a team sport. I hope our 'good team' is on the field tonight. Geaux Tigers!

BTW, I was in the French Quarter on Friday and the place was dominated by Ohio State fans. They appeared to be having a good time.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lsu_celebration_war_top.jpg

I gotta wonder, though, how much closer the game would have been if Ohio hadn't killed themselves with all those personal fouls. Extremely elementary, basic, low level skill mistakes. :blink: We still woulda won, but at least Ohio could have maintained some dignity.

Many in the office have called the game boring - I disagree - I stayed up way past my bedtime to watch the whole thing. :yawn1: I did let them know that the score would have been 38-17 if LSU hadn't let them have that last TD with under 2 minutes left in the game.

But, then again, I watched every second of the MSU - UCF game, too. :biglaugh:

Hey, it's the SEC and you never know what could happen.

Hopefully, though, this settles any question as to which is the tougher conference. I had to chuckle when the Big Ten basketball season commercials started rolling....

Hopefully, though, this settles any question as to which is the tougher conference. I had to chuckle when the Big Ten basketball season commercials started rolling....

Oh no, that Big Ten vs SEC thing is not settled ... if those sissy southerners could play up north in the cold, where football is meant to be played, the numbers would be different. :evildenk: You put those Northerners in the heat and their body thinks it is summer. Bring those LSU boys up and put them on the frozen tundra ... then we can compare.

Of course having gone to Illinois, and living in Louisiana so long, I don't mind at all that OSU lost.

Tigers Win!

Yo Sanguinetti, you were saying?

bozz?

I thought that I indicated that I was not sure. That I had not really seen the teams play. And actually, I was not able to watch this last game also. I had to do some work at my shop for the first half and only heard the game on the radio. Then went home for halftime. Got ready to go out to a martial arts class while watching the Ohio State band halftime show. The Ohio State band is good. Very clean and good tones from their instruments and they all blended together well. As for the actual game? I only heard parts on the radio including that crazy personal foul penalty on what the radio announcer said was almost or should have been a blocked punt. When I got back from my class the game was over. I only saw a few selected highlights. However, LSU must be a better team because they won by a good margin. I do not know why Ohio State made those personal foul penalties though. I thought with the Ohio State tradition of good football that they were more disciplined than that.

Congratulations on your team's victory. Evan and Danny must be stocked and I did not know that Belle was such a big college football fan. Sorry for the Buckeye supporters. I know you are out there some where.

Edited by Mark Sanguinetti

That is a COOL link, Rhino! (Don't tell Sudo, though, he'll point out how many time Ole Miss is mentioned on the list :wink2: )

You do have a point about the cold weather. USC would probably have a bit of trouble if they had to play in freezing weather as well, but isn't it much more fun to visit warm places? :biglaugh:

Mark, what can I say? :redface2: I was born and raised to bleed Maroon & White - I probably spent more time at SEC sporting events than I did at home or at church growing up. :biglaugh: I don't remember every game or play in every sport from twenty years ago like a lot of you men do, but I do love the games (and the parties :beer: ).

I've also probably earned at least one more cuppa free java here for starting the most ignored threads in the sports booth.

Edited by Belle

Oh no, that Big Ten vs SEC thing is not settled ... if those sissy southerners could play up north in the cold, where football is meant to be played, the numbers would be different. :evildenk: You put those Northerners in the heat and their body thinks it is summer. Bring those LSU boys up and put them on the frozen tundra ... then we can compare.

Okay, so that explains why Ohio State is now 0-9 vs. the SEC in bowl games. I get it Thanks!

Okay, so that explains why Ohio State is now 0-9 vs. the SEC in bowl games. I get it Thanks!

OK I know that Big Ten folks may have to help the SEC folks along a little in the education department ... but Ohio State does not equal Big Ten. Of course the Big Ten does not equal the big ten either, since the y now have 11, but forgetting that, there is this ...

....................................................Big Ten ...................SEC

Bowl record vs Each Other............... 9-7 ......................7-9

since 2002

Heisman Winners ............................14........................... 8

And we know there is that spiritual darkness emanating from Ohio ... but then Louisiana had Swaggart ... and Edwards ... and David Duke ....

OK, I found this going backa little further ...

Since Penn State joined the Big Ten in 1993, the SEC holds a 18-15 bowl edge on the Big Ten.
Take out the Buckeyes' 0-5 record in that span, and the Big Ten leads
. The Big Ten stalwarts? Minnesota is 2-0, and Michigan and Penn State are each 4-2 in the 14-season stretch.

Anyway, I was really just standing up for Illinois and the Big Ten ...

Cheers Belle :beer: ... not sure about Ole Miss, though I saw Illinois was listed as the historic underachiever, which I can relate to ... they did at least ended up 2nd in basketball a couple years ago. But yes,warmer weather in winter seems more fun ... I saw the "chickwear" was sweat suits in theBig Ten, but swim suits in the SEC. No brainer there.

zbunch72.jpg

Edited by rhino

Oh a Mississippi State and SEC girl. That explains it Belle. It is kind of like me rooting for USC in a bowl game because they are in the Pac 10 and their coach Pete Carrol is a local guy from the southern part of the county where I grew up and still have friends in. Now if only a few of the USC fans were not so arrogant. First hand experience of that at the Cal USC game which I attended this past November.

I did want to thank Bullwinkl for posting the link to TBDBITL doing the Script Ohio thing. The precision with which they cut through the lines without whacking each other with their instruments or having a show stopping personal collision is my personal definition of "mathematical exactness and scientific precision."

As much as I love the Buckeyes, and I do especially think Tressel is a class act, they weren't ready for the BCS bowl this year, and only went there because two teams ahead of them lost their last games. I don't much understand the system, and didn't watch the game. I certainly hope Tressel isn't about to get fired or anything. They did real good for the most part this year, but just weren't quite there.....next year maybe.

And I agree - let's play a snow bowl next time!

WG

...there's been 22 Heisman Trophy winners since 2002?

ummmm ... Tom Tom Tom .... it said bowl record since 2002, not Heisman Trophy winners since 2002 ...

Did SMU ever get allowed back in sports? Last I recall they were banned for something, but that was probably 20 years ago ... :biglaugh: . Let's see, you guys did get Indiana's Bobby Knight down there at Texas Tech .... famous partly for slapping Jim Wisman, who was a year behind me at our high school. Just trying to make the connections with you Big Twelve Texans ...

ummmm ... Tom Tom Tom .... it said bowl record since 2002, not Heisman Trophy winners since 2002 ...

Did SMU ever get allowed back in sports? Last I recall they were banned for something, but that was probably 20 years ago ... :biglaugh: . Let's see, you guys did get Indiana's Bobby Knight down there at Texas Tech .... famous partly for slapping Jim Wisman, who was a year behind me at our high school. Just trying to make the connections with you Big Twelve Texans ...

you're right rhino... I stand corrected (those concepts are hard for an old Texan to understand)...

yeah, SMU never has recovered from the death penalty... maybe June Jones will help them on the road to recovery? It's really wild that SMU got so solidly smote... everybody knows that if you want to know which teams are violating NCAA rules all you have to do is check their won/loss records...

The best professional football team in several states does not play in the NFL...