GreaseSpot Cafe

A consideration of Acts 1-8

Well, BoJ, you've obviously got your view and don't wish to consider any other. I only floated it to see what people might think - for a bit of a discussion. Don't think this is going anywhere so this is my parting shot.

Jen-o, Freecycle is good, yes, glad you found it helpful. :wave: Think I'll start a topic in Open so perhaps see you there.

I did consider your view....I just don't agree with it, there is a difference you know.

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm bumping this up after some consideration from a post in The Way Corps vs The Marine Corps. The point in the afore mentioned post is the BOD at the way international DO NOT travel anywhere but sit by and "direct" the affairs of their little "church."

The more I think about it, the apostles staying in Jerusalem may have been the start of their eventual troubles that we see later in the book of Acts when James tells Paul "see how many that believe and they are all zealous of the law."

Maybe, just maybe that downfall is recorded in incremental steps throughout the book of Acts. Twinky has me considering the book of Acts in a new light and I believe she has some really good points for consideration. And along those lines, maybe the book of Acts isn't a blueprint after all? A blueprint is meant to be followed very meticulously. The best a person can do with acts is extrapolate principle and build on them where something similar in appearance results. Then one can say "it's like the first century church!"

Back to the Apostles. I know of no record where Jesus taught them to stay in Jerusalem. I know of no record that authorized them to start a man made organization there either, yet we seem to see the shadow of one throughout the book. We do see the Lord Jesus directing the affairs of the Church. We see emphasized the personal nature of the believer's fellowship with the Father and with the Son. We see individuals told what to do by the lord as he directs the affairs of his body. Perhaps they should have went home instead of hanging around the temple? Good stuff.