GreaseSpot Cafe

Name That Author

Undoubted offspring of ethereal race,

O long expected in this promis'd place!

Who thro' the foes hast borne thy banish'd gods,

Restor'd them to their hearths, and old abodes;

This is thy happy home, the clime where fate

Ordains thee to restore the Trojan state.

I'm guessing that this is a translation of Ovid's Aeneid. Aeneas was a Trojan who (according to the Aeneid) established Rome. Of course, the Aeneid was in Latin in dactylic hexameter, and this is English in iambc pentameter...

George

I knew one of you Latin loving guys would get it. Yes, it is the Aeneid, but it was (as you posted down below) Virgil, not Ovid, who wrote it. This was John Dryden's translation from the Latin. Dryden (1631-1700) said in his introduction to the translation that "I have endeavoured to make Virgil speak such English, as he would himself have spoken, if he had been born in England, and in this present Age."

Edited by wrdsandwrks

Nah...

If it hadn't been for George correctly identifying the Aeneid - I wouldn't have had any idea what it was, at least not that soon.

I knew George knew the correct answer and had made a mistake - I just couldn't resist 'giving him the business.'

So, in all fairness, I say it's GSG's turn.

Take it away, dude....

You are a gentleman and a scholar.

"In questions of this sort there are two things to be observed. First, that the truth of the Scriptures be inviolably maintained. Secondly, since Scripture doth admit of diverse interpretations, that no one cling to any particular exposition with such pertinacity that, if what he supposed to be the teaching of Scripture should afterward turn out to be clearly false, he should nevertheless still presume to put it forward, lest thereby the sacred Scriptures should be exposed to the derision of unbelievers and the way of salvation should be closed to them."

George

Obviously a native English speaker.

No. These are translations.

“To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible.”

“Three things are necessary for the salvation of man: to know what he ought to believe; to know what he ought to desire; and to know what he ought to do.”

"Perfection of moral virtue does not wholly take away the passions, but regulates them."

"In questions of this sort there are two things to be observed. First, that the truth of the Scriptures be inviolably maintained. Secondly, since Scripture doth admit of diverse interpretations, that no one cling to any particular exposition with such pertinacity that, if what he supposed to be the teaching of Scripture should afterward turn out to be clearly false, he should nevertheless still presume to put it forward, lest thereby the sacred Scriptures should be exposed to the derision of unbelievers and the way of salvation should be closed to them."

George