GreaseSpot Cafe

Wedding Business Is Booming

Oakspear

During the ! wedding a few years back my then-fiancee, now wife Susie, noting that the "minister", our esteemed Raf, was not a professional minister, but nonetheless did a great job, mentioned that she thought that I would be good at marrying people.

In 2005 I got a Universal Life Church ordination, but waited about a year to put an ad in the yellow pages, advertising as a wedding officiant.

I ended up performing eight weddings in 2007, including an "emergency wedding" at 11PM on a front lawn, wearing my grocery store uniform, with vows that I had made up in the car on the way over.

For 2008 I set an initial goal of averaging 1 per month, which would have covered advertising for my wife's business as well as mine, but soon increased it to 2 per month. I've done 5 so far, including one alternating between Spanish and English and have contracts and deposits for 12 more, plus 3 appointments with couples this week for future weddings. I'm about ready to hire a secretary!

In Kansas if you register an ordination then you are licensed as a minister for weddings and funerals. your state certificate would read minister. Oak would be listed as a minister in KS Is that the way it reads in Nebraska Oak? Just in case I want to branch out and give you some competition. :biglaugh:

Most likely they would just issue a license based on Kansas certification I'd think. Do they have you meet with a circuit judge before issuing a license. In Kansas they strongly suggest 6 hours of pre marriage counseling before recommendation as a marriage candidate .

Please no more talk of weddings. My bank account is at 0 with the wedding one monthly and 9 days away.

Even thought is my son getting married the costs can go right thru the roof. Thought I had everything covered. Then we started talking new dress, new suite for me, new suite for #3 son, and lets not forget shoes. Then their is hotel rooms, flowers, rehearsal diner($600), and a trip every other weekend to handle problems.

Big suggestion. When your kids get married make sure the wedding is in the same town you live in.

Don't people elope anymore? :blink:

Wouldn't a couple of plane tickets to Vegas be cheaper? :doh:

For the record, my girlfriend has used the "M" word :unsure:, :blink:

What can I say... I'm a budget analyst :evildenk:

Wow the expansion is looking better no registration cost either, :biglaugh: You better not creep into KS Oak cause they will be into your wallet for their share of the cash. Oh yeah that's called filing fee I forgot. But they will give ya a nice piece of paper with a nifty state seal on it for your contribution to the Jayhawks.

They were trying to soak the brides & grooms up here. Last year there was a bill in the legislature to increase the marriage license fee from $15 to $100. It didn't pass.

From what I've read, Nevada has the most restrictions and requirements and fees on wedding officiants.

Don't people elope anymore? :blink:

Wouldn't a couple of plane tickets to Vegas be cheaper? :doh:

For the record, my girlfriend has used the "M" word :unsure:, :blink:

What can I say... I'm a budget analyst :evildenk:

Vegas is high dollar these days. It's convenient without much planning. You pay for that.

As far as the girlfriend mentioning the "M" word, lighten up. You might just like being married. I think marriage ROCKS!!