GreaseSpot Cafe

What was with the sending in your "home studies" completed form?

fooledagainII

Soon after I took the foundational class, I begin getting pressure to get my "home studies" done. The more classes I took (i.e.: intermediate class, W&U, CF&S, etc..), the more pressure was to read assigned books and "...get your home studies done...".

Being a young guy, I admit, reading all those books and doing home studies was unappealing to me but I set aside some time each night and began studying. Anyway, I was almost finished when one the WOW vets I'd made friends with called me one night wanting to hang out. I told I couldn't go because I doing my home studies. Well, the jest of his reply was I crazy for studying when the answer are on the back.

For whatever reason I continued to study and answer the questions. When I finished, I felt proud I didn't cheat and handed them to my TC to review and sign. My TC looked at them for about a minute (only making sure questions were answered but not reading the answers to see they were right) and then signed the form I needed to send in. Suddenly I felt as foolish as the WOW vet had replied.

What was the point of the whole answer, get signed and send in your home studies thing? Do they still do this as a requirement for AC?

It was an exercise in indoctrination, plain and simple.

I won't argue that, but there's a certain practicality to require some proof the student's retained some information if they're supposedly

preparing to take a class that's supposed to be "Advanced." So, it's a checklist to see if he's indoctrinated himself sufficiently

that they can cover new material and not just recap the old stuff.

IMHO, it became largely redundant once pfal classes were being rerun each season in many areas. Just sitting through the taped

class ensured-by osmosis if by no other reason- that the material was largely covered. After all, what's in the books was mostly

what was in the class.

(In case anyone's curious, I did my Home Studies inside of 2 weeks when I was preparing for the Advanced class.)

IMHO, it became largely redundant once pfal classes were being rerun each season in many areas. Just sitting through the taped

class ensured-by osmosis if by no other reason- that the material was largely covered. After all, what's in the books was mostly

what was in the class.

I gotta disagree WW. Sitting through that class somewhere around the third time I found myself sleeping not learning/memorizing/being indoctrinated through osmosis.