The Art Thread

doojable

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Amazing! They actually have more color and life than a photo. I want one! Ok so I'll settle for a print. Cant quite afford the real thing, or find a wall to fit it...but I want one.

Eyes introduced me to Gregory Crewdson, photographer. He stages his photos and they end up having a surreal sense to them. I think they also have the feel of an illustration.

amstaged_0305.jpg

thats an amazing piece --

im a little distracted at the moment--

i dont know if this piece (below) qualifies as art (thats a centuries long discussion right there..). This is a small detail of an angel from a very large window that will be visiting my studio for a few months and I will be living with her very closely for a few months as i restore it.. :)

It was done by Henry Holiday in 1895, a PreRaphaelite painter and designer in the William Morris circle.

The colors, painting, design in person in situ are absolutely breathtaking

Unfortunately photographs can never really capture the brilliance of transmitted color through glass nor the overall effect in the architectural space---

this is just a small detail

Angeldetail.jpg

I really like this one by Crewdson.

crewdson_h.jpg

It almost looks like a painting. Amazing!

MStar- I love stained glass...and let me tell you that it is not easy to make. I tried it once and had a heck of a time getting it just so. Of course you already know that...hehe. But from my point of view knowing how difficult it is makes it all the more beautiful to me.

Edited by Eyesopen

But from my point of view knowing how difficult it is makes it all the more beautiful to me.

After the first 25 years or so its not that hard anymore :wink2:

The crafting gets simpler, the art is always difficult, but after 28 years the really hard part is scaling the sides of huge churches and hoping that you dont drop anything---The views are generally really great thoughand its always good to have an angel or two on hand watching over you when you are that high

Its hard to believe that especially that second Crewdson piece is actually a photograph-the depth and the feel is magnificent...

Im curious who dooj is talking about

Im curious who dooj is talking about

:redface: Dooj is embarrassed because she spoke too soon. :redface:

One of my teachers said that Maxfield Parrish was the son of a stained-glass craftsman. But I just finished trying to find out if that is true - and sadly it is not.

BUT - his technique of glazing and using varnish in between colors is what gives his work such brilliance - and for some reason I just can't count out his having been influenced in some way by stained-glass.

Maxfield Parrish

Parrish's art features dazzlingly luminous colors; the color Parrish blue was named in acknowledgement. He achieved the results by means of a technique called glazing where bright layers of oil color separated by varnish are applied alternately over a base rendering (Parrish usually used a blue and white monochromatic underpainting).

Here are a few of my favorite paintings by him:

Ecstasy:

mp_ecstasy.jpg

Daybreak:

daybreak.jpg

Sleeping:

parrish_sleeping.jpg

He also did a lot of illustration of books and book covers. If you look at his work and compare it side by side with the work of Alphonse Mucha and Klimt you will see some subtle similarities.

Gotta go for a bit - hope you enjoy the art.

Edited by doojable

I've been a fan of Gregory Crewdson for a few years now, since I first heard of him. His shoots are like movie productions and, although he shoots film and scans his negatives, he doesn't rely heavily on post production techniques such as "Photoshop" to achieve his desired results.

This photo of him on location earned my undying respect.

800px-Gregory_Crewdson_2.jpg

As you can see, he's shooting with a Sinar 8x10 view without a digital back and he has his front standard raised, indicating he uses camera movement perspecive controls instead of making his image in his computer. In other words, he creates his image in the camera, not in his computer. He's the real deal.

He does his shoots on carefully planned sets. According to an interview, in the shot posted by eyesopen, he spent a great deal of time scoping out the location of the scene under a railroad bridge. He had a crew of about 40 people, used lights on cranes for the backlighting, key and fill lights and a machine to produce the fog. He put it all together so very masterfully as to elicit such a comment from mstar as "Its hard to believe that especially that second Crewdson piece is actually a photograph-the depth and the feel is magnificent..."

So many people out there today just shoot digital snapshots and use their computers to turn an otherwise banal image into something that kinda sorta resembles an artistic photo and you have to respect somebody like Crewdson that actually makes a quality image on film.

I don't wish to hijack Doojable's thread or digress into another subject, but this is a huge area of interest to me and you got my total attention with Crewdson.

Oh, and BTW, I've never heard of Crewdson before, but his stuff is incredible.

I've said it often enough, but never here. I think an artist is born, not made. Either ya is ere ya ain't, and there isn't much you can do about it. I'm not, but this guy sure is.

When I was a young photog student at the local JC, there was a kid there who took pictures in B&W, cut them down, split the negatives in half somehow, and matched the two pieces up to make perfectly symmetrical trees and landscapes and whatnot, and then print them on ultra-high contrast paper. The end result being prints of surreal landscapes that looked like they were sketched in charcoal. Pretty amazing stuff for a first-year student, I thought...

George, That piece you linked to is lovely. Did I read it correctly? Is that done in lacquer?

I'd like to believe that artists are born :) but I also believe that there is a little bit of an artist in a most folks. (maybe only one or two molecules though... :) )

So let me get this straight this Maxfield Parrish did that effect with laquer? I'm so glad I'm not an artist...way too many mediums to consider. And that Asian thing of George's...so simply elegant. Very nice!

Ron, I got an issue of the Smithsonian that has an article about Mr. Crewdson. There were several other pics of his work in the magazine but this particular one really caught my eye. I didnt care for the house fire picture which unfortunately I cant find a copy of on the net. But the article talked about his book "Beneath the Roses" which has a whole collection of photos in it that were shot just for this book. It was interesting. So when are you going to post one of your pics?

MStar...I can hang (no pun intended) with the scaling church walls, but 25 years in stainded glass...not my taste. I'll leave it to the experts like you and I'll just admire the magnificent work. Amazing stuff.

So let me get this straight this Maxfield Parrish did that effect with laquer? I'm so glad I'm not an artist...way too many mediums to consider. And that Asian thing of George's...so simply elegant. Very nice!

Ron, I got an issue of the Smithsonian that has an article about Mr. Crewdson. There were several other pics of his work in the magazine but this particular one really caught my eye. I didnt care for the house fire picture which unfortunately I cant find a copy of on the net. But the article talked about his book "Beneath the Roses" which has a whole collection of photos in it that were shot just for this book. It was interesting. So when are you going to post one of your pics?

MStar...I can hang (no pun intended) with the scaling church walls, but 25 years in stainded glass...not my taste. I'll leave it to the experts like you and I'll just admire the magnificent work. Amazing stuff.

I don't think Parrish worked in lacquer. He did his work with a series of glazes and layers of varnish.

A glaze is a transparent layer of paint - usually made by mixing paint with a medium like damar varnish.

The overall effect was that the color was intensified and deepened - one layer at a time. It was like he was building up layers of glass - but in oil.

Very tedious work!

:) Love the Mr. Bean! --I sent it on to a friend who cleans and restores paintings..His claim to fame is cleaning chocolate cake off of Van Gogh's Irises which he nervously did while the world watched....

regarding Maxfield Parrish--I went to his home in Cornish New Hampshire afew years ago--the brilliant skies in his paintings look exactly the same as the skies in that area--Its worth the visit if you are ever in the north country......

and I heard that this Monet sold for 80 million yesterday..

08_Monet_lilies.jpg

Glad it that clip made you laugh. As a picture framer and artist I cringed while I laughed during that scene.

I'm still pondering the next piece of art.

I'd love to get up to the North Northeast and see those Parrish paintings. His work has always astounded me.

So here is one of my favorite paintings in the world. It is by Eugène Delacroix and it's called La liberté guidant le peuple.

Pillar10-History-French-Revolution-Delacroix.jpg

In my humanities class I compared the composition and themes of this painting and the Picaso that Dooj presented a couple of pages back.

guernica.jpg

Actually I decided to just post it again. Guernica by Pablo Picaso.

Edited by Eyesopen

Wow! I bet that was a much more interesting and enlightening research paper than the one I wrote. <_<

I dont know about enlightening but it was fun. I compared war in general and then went into how each artist portrayed the various human elements of war, the pain, the confusion, the anguish, the desire for existance and life...just so much to see in each painting...the Professor really liked it. Funny she had the same idea to compare the two as the day that we turned in our final essay/thesis we were given the final test and the extra credit essay was exactly that...compare these two paintings.