GreaseSpot Cafe

Is China really that awful when it comes to animal abuse?

RottieGrrrl

And if they are, please don't tell me it's a "cultural thing" I close my eyes to this stuff, because it makes me sick. Let me preface this by saying I give to a couple of animal charities. Not because I'm such a wonderful person but because I am too chicken hearted to do anything but I THANK GOD that other people can. In a sane and humane matter.

What I've seen of the way China treats their animals. Really makes me want to puke them up as a country.

I mean I hate them. I really do. If this is the way they choose to live.... and respect the nature God gave them.

I'm NOT talking about eating meat. I'm talking about the respect God gave us towards other living creatures. Are they really that cruel?

PS. I give to a couple of sane animal rights groups. (NOT PETA!) and they send me this stuff. I can't even bear to think that people would treat animals in such an inhumane matter. Even if they want to kill for food. Which, I might add, there is nothing wrong with. Killing is one thing. Abuse, ignorance and torture is another. Am I being mislead? God I hope so. This country is deranged and damned if they do what I hear they do.

Edited by RottieGrrrl

I wished I could say something that would help you to feel better.

I started a long post about all the terrible things that are done to people, but I got depressed and deleted it.

I love animals. My daughter loves animals so much that she's a vegan. I have no answers, just compassion.

My husband is technically in China right now, actually in Hong Kong, he travels the world, and yes, it is a different world over there.  We talk nightly on Skype, and we have a running joke over what mystery meat he ate that day at either a street vendor food stand or at the food court stall.  What we consider housepets, over there could be considered fair game for numerous business uses.  I'm aware of dogs and cats being used for food and in the clothing industry, but I don't know about torturing animals, please explain what you mean, if you would.

China really doesn't have the environmentalists and animal rights advocates that we do here.  Their society doesn't have the judicial system either that would institute checks and balances on ethical treatment.  Their society is coming from a very dark period and it is low on the social order of things to be concerned about.  It's a hard place with hard people, some desperate to survive, I wouldn't expect much change from China soon.  

The USA used to lead the world in steel production, because of environmentalists concerns, the USA is no longer in the steel industry as it once was, now China leads.  They call the Hong Kong harbor area a nickname, Fragrant Harbor, because of the smell and toxic waters, the air polution and smog there is the worst anywhere, China even does unregulated shipbreaking.  They are a developing industrial nation and human rights as well as animal rights, and environmentalism are very low on the priority list of the govt.  It's a tough place to be as a human too, it can be a very hard life to be born in China.

Edited by now I see

Ayep - much as I like animals - I too have traveled a lot - and it is pretty tough to apply USA laws/ethics/morals to countries where food and basic essentials are scarce at best. Last time I was in China was Nanjing - might as well be smoking three packs of smokes a day just to get into a taxi there (if you can get one) - yet for those folks it has been the biggest upgrade in living since WWII. Compare the USA post WWII - we weren't that different. And I suppose if I want to get snotty I would remind folk that even in the US you can go to a "live" sushi bar where you pick your meal from the tank while it is alive and it is ritually killed in front of you and then served oh so delicately. I am not a proponent of animal cruelty - but other countries are just not the US - and never will be.

My husband is technically in China right now, actually in Hong Kong, he travels the world, and yes, it is a different world over there. We talk nightly on Skype, and we have a running joke over what mystery meat he ate that day at either a street vendor food stand or at the food court stall. What we consider housepets, over there could be considered fair game for numerous business uses. I'm aware of dogs and cats being used for food and in the clothing industry, but I don't know about torturing animals, please explain what you mean, if you would.

China really doesn't have the environmentalists and animal rights advocates that we do here. Their society doesn't have the judicial system either that would institute checks and balances on ethical treatment. Their society is coming from a very dark period and it is low on the social order of things to be concerned about. It's a hard place with hard people, some desperate to survive, I wouldn't expect much change from China soon.

The USA used to lead the world in steel production, because of environmentalists concerns, the USA is no longer in the steel industry as it once was, now China leads. They call the Hong Kong harbor area a nickname, Fragrant Harbor, because of the smell and toxic waters, the air polution and smog there is the worst anywhere, China even does unregulated shipbreaking. They are a developing industrial nation and human rights as well as animal rights, and environmentalism are very low on the priority list of the govt. It's a tough place to be as a human too, it can be a very hard life to be born in China.

My understanding is that in China it is against the law to own a pet dog. If you have one, it will be killed in front of you and you will be fined. Repeat this, and jail time awaits (and they kill that dog in front of you, too). The government believes dogs are unsanitary and pollute the ground with their excrement. China is very very overpopulated. Couples are permitted one child each in an effort to forcibly reduce the population. Those who give birth to a second child in the hospital risk that infant suffering a fate similar to the dogs'.

My take is that this is a thoroughly godless country. A church I formerly attended had a girl go spend a couple months there one summer as a student - she was not under any circumstances to mention God or the Bible or anything even close. This too is a big time crime.

During the Great Leap Forward under Chairman Mao, (the closest to a god they have right now), missionaries were hunted down, roped, and dragged through the streets by CHILDREN singing songs of praise to the government and Mao, to soccer fields where they were executed en masse.

And then there's Tienenman Square.....

It grieves and upsets me to think of all the people in this country out of jobs, which have gone to China, where inferior goods are produced for pennies just to save Big Business a buck or two. I used to live in North Carolina in mill country. I knew someone who worked at mills, sewing washcloths. They had standards. Now I buy towels and washcloths at J. C. Penney which were manufactured in China, and they fall apart in less than a year.

WG

Ayep - much as I like animals - I too have traveled a lot - and it is pretty tough to apply USA laws/ethics/morals to countries where food and basic essentials are scarce at best.

RumRunner,

On the Talkshoe phone chat this past week you talked about identifying the Americans abroad by their loudness, my husband has been saying the same thing for years, I thought it was very funny you said almost word for word the exact same thing he's observed in so many countries.   :eusa_clap:

Yeah - if it weren't so embarrassing it would be almost comedic it gets so repetitive. I should have added that you can tell US Americans who are experienced travelers because they sit down, act polite, read a book or two and keep to themselves...annnnd they have both manners and patience when dealing with row mates, flight attendants and airport personnel be it check-in, security or baggage handlers. It costs you nothing and makes for a better flight - no sense in getting an ulcer if you are about to hop on an 18 hour flight. I'm sure your husband will agree to that as well.

Thanks for the acknowledgment.

RR

RumRunner,

On the Talkshoe phone chat this past week you talked about identifying the Americans abroad by their loudness, my husband has been saying the same thing for years, I thought it was very funny you said almost word for word the exact same thing he's observed in so many countries. :eusa_clap: