GreaseSpot Cafe

Corps, favored and unfavored

Jim

Was there ever a supposed biblical basis for this system of lay ministry work? Or a biblical basis for TWI even having the authority to assign jobs to the faithful?

The way corps was supposedly like the "school of the prophets" ... at Tyranus I think? There was a paper on the subject, but I can't think of any direct justification for constant assignments. There were maybe certain times men in the Bible were sent to do certain duties ... but it all seems about control in TWI, looking back on it now.

I suppose we were all caught up in this "exciting movement" ... and then we just accepted the whole enchilada ... kinda weird. :blink:

I suppose we were all caught up in this "exciting movement" ... and then we just accepted the whole enchilada ... kinda weird. :blink:

Maybe sort of like being a kid at your first baseball game? Take me out to the ball game, take me out to the show, buy me some peanuts and cracker jacks...

Did someone say "soybeans"?

The way corps was supposedly like the "school of the prophets" ... at Tyranus I think? There was a paper on the subject, but I can't think of any direct justification for constant assignments. There were maybe certain times men in the Bible were sent to do certain duties ... but it all seems about control in TWI, looking back on it now.

I remember being taught that it was like the guys who were selected to serve tables in Acts... Because the apostles ("biblical" tranlsation according to usage: BOT and co) needed to attend to the movement of the Word.

Maybe sort of like being a kid at your first baseball game? Take me out to the ball game, take me out to the show, buy me some peanuts and cracker jacks...

Ha .. yeah ... and that last line ... "I don't care if I never get back" ... well we got our peanuts and didn't get back for ten years ... for many of us. Even though the game lost its appeal for most, after a few years ... it was good theater for a couple innings ... would have been better with more beer in the later innings ... :beer:

I remember being taught that it was like the guys who were selected to serve tables in Acts... Because the apostles ("biblical" tranlsation according to usage: BOT and co) needed to attend to the movement of the Word.

I guess that worked ... as long as those "apostles" kept the image of actually being God's chosen ones.

It was basically dictatorship ... and the servants were not treated well. But our odd willingness to "believe" the whole charade kept the thang afloat ...

How we ever bought this load of manure is beyond me.

Just how much "word" did vp and his cronies "move?" Lots of words were moving around - in the form of lies and bs - but the "work of the ministry" was done by the "keeds"

who went WOW... (some of them with families and kids of their own)

who took classes...

who took assignments...

while Ole Tricky vic just went up to the waymoneytree and shook it til his needs were met. :asdf:

Interesting that the seven in Acts were ordained to serve tables.. no years of hazing in some kind of program.. no being "trained" as prophets or some such nonsense. Pretty sharp contrast to the vicster's program- taught how to sell, to run classes, given a name tag to be revered, rake in the money..

The Corps was touted as twi's "School of Tyrannus. Sitting at the feet of the Master(jerk) and such...

The whole "serving tables" example was used whenever some rev muckety-much wanted to emphasize how important he or she was.

At least that's how I heard it...

Edited by doojable

How we ever bought this load of manure is beyond me.

while Ole Tricky vic just went up to the waymoneytree and shook it til his needs were met. :asdf:

Beyond me too! How did such a fine group of people all end up wondering the same thing? I would be very grumpy indeed if all my abs had gone to twi and I had none left over for ces. :biglaugh: