GreaseSpot Cafe

Church shopping....

JavaJane

We're now in the Kansas City area and looking for a good church. Is there anyone out there who is in the area or knows of a good church in Kansas City, Lee's Summit, etc?

Any help would be appreciated!

I don't know how far Peculiar is from you (it doesn't look very far on the map). There is a church there called Countryside Bible Church, that is part of the Church of God of the Abrahamic Faith. Like TWI, they don't believe in the Trinity or that the dead are alive in heaven. Unlike TWI they believe that the Gospel of the Kingdom of God is the central message of Jesus. And they have a more "normal church" feel. I went to their college in Atlanta for a couple of semesters (till I ran out of money) and one of the people there was from that area. I've also talked with another one on line; she is the moderator for http://groups.msn.com/COGsAbrahamicFaithAroundtheWorld. They are really nice people. If you're interested, here is their info:

Countryside Bible Church

217 South State Route J,

Peculiar, Missouri

(816) 779-4445

http://www.countrysidebiblechurch.org/

i have found the Catholic church to be very satisfying because i love the emphasis on doing good, helping people in need, building schools, hospitals, performing missionary work of the type of disaster relief, orphanages, hospitals, schools. Things that relieve suffering, improve quality of life, and generally make the world a nicer place. Social compassion is usual and normal, and the money put here -- i still believe in the tithe -- helps do these things. Church budget is printed on every weekly church bulletin.

Because church times are so many -- 2or 3 times a day and 7 times on Sunday -- it's not part of the church culture to wonder where you were instead of coming to church. Generally Catholics are too busy trying to take care of their own business -- their own walk with the lord -- that they don't keep their nose in others'. Some of the nicest true Christians i have met in the Catholic church. Especially so nice to learn that Pope Paul II, Mother Theresa and so many others ridiculed by twi really were wonderful people.

So many wonderful people i met in twi came out of the Catholic church, and it is true that you can tell a tree by its fruit, and the Catholic church produces many wonderful people. The culture of the church strengthens people individually and families and work environment.

The presence of the Cross, the sacrifice of Jesus Christ always before your face in that place keeps you humble, thankful, merciful because of the mercy received.

Being part of Catholic church has really helped the Lord help me overcome the curses of rejection and other cult mentality distortions and become a functioning member of society in general. i am very thankful for Catholic church, Billy Graham and his people -- so many wonderful Christians out and about in the world to associate with!

Mark - thanks for the website information! I will look over it with my hubby tonight... It's not too far to make a trip to see if we like it or not!

Kit - My husband was raised RC before he became involved with twi. Because of his family's involvment in the Catholic church I have had the privilege of being exposed to Catholisism for the first time in my life - and I have to say, it has been a good experience. I enjoy what they try to do for people, and have actually considered checking that out as an option as well, although there are some major things I would have issue with I think, doctrinally, at least... But they do HELP people - which is one of the things I really want in a church... Not just a intellectual approach to God, but people who want to help God's kids... you know??

Thank you both!

I'm not in your area of the country, but in view of some of the other posts, I feel I can make a suggestion.

I was raised Lutheran and I was married to a man who was raised RC. Together, we joined the Episcopal Church. He's long gone, but I'm still in it and I like it. As was suggested in another thread, visit a lot of churches, ask a lot of questions, and you'll find one that's right for you.

Happy shopping!

It kind of depends on what you are looking for, but in Kansas City my first stop would be the International House of Prayer. Say hi to Gary and Jill Kennedy for me (John Cavanaugh, Eureka CA.) while you are there. They ran the healing room here in my area a couple of years ago.

What you are going to find there is people who believe in the power of God and the move of the holy spirit. A-G type. I'm sure that if you tell them what you are looking for, you will get an honest opinion.

Edited by Caveman

JJ - I've been to the IHOP church. Once. I have never had such an intense church experience in all my life. First off, it's HUGE - HUGE!!! Lots and lots and lots of people. Huge parking lot. Lots and lots and lots of vehicles.

Secondly, it's loud. VERY LOUD. They had very cool-appearing musicians (full bands like you'd see at a rock concert, not singingladiesoftheway at ALL), but it's SO LOUD that I got a headache from it (and I enjoy loud music). I was steadily distracted by all the people that were running around or dancing or falling down on the floor or or dropping to their knees or shouting "Praise Jesus" and "I love you Jesus" at what appeared to me to be random moments throughout the service.

I enjoyed the teaching itself. I enjoyed the energy of the room altho it freaked me out a little bit (all things in the church service not being my idea of decent OR in order, not their issue, but mine, I know). I enjoyed the live music until it got so loud it hurt my head. The service seeemed to go on forever.

Something else happened that I've never experienced before or since that night. I was told the people "prayed IN THE SPIRIT", meaning that they prayed hard enough that they collectively sort of summoned THE HOLY SPIRIT into the room. I don't know that I believe that, it's what I was told there by several people "in the know". I do know I felt something intense and heavy in that room and people were saying it was "THE HOLY SPIRIT".

The people that brought me there knew my ex-way background and placed themselves strategically between me and the exit. The one that was not ex-way, but might as well be, cause she was initially introduced to "Christianity" via ex-way people that continue to act like they're in a cult, but that's another talk show, this other lady told me on the way home that she had felt "led" to drop to her knees (something to do with showing humility to the Lord), but she fought the urge and won that fight cause she knew it would tip me right over the edge. They said it was quite a learning experience for them to observe my reactions to all that was going on there.

I'm not saying don't go. I'm saying prepare yourself for worship in the midst of a 3-ring-circus. That's how it felt to me. I didn't know where to focus my attention, there were always so many things going on at once. I've not gone back, but I felt duped by the people who took me and wasn't giving them the opportunity to do that again.

It seems to me the service was 2 hours long. This was 4 years ago or so and this is what comes immediately to my mind when I recall that night.

I was steadily distracted by all the people that were running around or dancing or falling down on the floor or or dropping to their knees or shouting "Praise Jesus" and "I love you Jesus" at what appeared to me to be random moments throughout the service.

You may not like our church either. We have fun too.

I was told the people "prayed IN THE SPIRIT", meaning that they prayed hard enough that they collectively sort of summoned THE HOLY SPIRIT into the room. I don't know that I believe that, it's what I was told there by several people "in the know". I do know I felt something intense and heavy in that room and people were saying it was "THE HOLY SPIRIT".

When the spirit moves, the atmosphere of the room changes. I don't call that praying in the spirit, though. The spirit is always there. It could be an angelic presence or maybe it is what the OT called the glory of the Lord.

Edited by Caveman

We're now in the Kansas City area and looking for a good church. Is there anyone out there who is in the area or knows of a good church in Kansas City, Lee's Summit, etc?

As others have said, it depends on what you're looking for.

Personally, I've found the Orthodox Church to be quite satisfying. I was never a member of TWI, but I did convert to Orthodoxy from evangelical Christianity. Mainly my reasons for converting were rooted in my study of the early church fathers, but Orthodoxy's emphasis on ascetic spirituality, and on holding fast to the earliest traditions in Christianity, really attracted me. I've also found that in Orthodoxy there is no conflict between dogma and spirituality, or the tradition of the Church and personal spiritual pursuits. Somehow they intertwine and influence one another, whereas in Western Christianity it's like two ends of a pole. On one end, you have systematic theology as an academic discipline, intellectual approaches to God, and what could be considered orthodox or mainstream Christianity, and on the other end of the pole you have mysticism, esoteric spirituality and contemplative prayer; those who practice this type of spirituality usually tend to shy away from doctrine and theology in favor of what could be called "liberal Christianity." It's a very careful balance.

I've also encountered this same balance with the Church itself. No one thing is emphasized over another. Scripture has its' place, Tradition has its' place and...that statement is incorrect...actually both Scripture and Tradition are seen as one and the same. All things in Orthodox Christianity, whether they be the sacraments, the liturgy, icons, scripture, the church fathers and saints, miracles and spiritual gifts, asceticism and personal prayer...they all have their place and nothing is really emphasized (like baptism is emphasized in the Baptist church, or how Pentecostal churches place a strong emphasis on speaking in tongues) because it all comprises a concrete whole. This means that nothing really changes; the last thing the Orthodox Church does is change! The only thing that really is emphasized above all else is love of God and love of your neighbor. You'll find people who truly believe in God's work among His people and who try to preserve the Truth that the Holy Spirit has given us.

I have to say, in the Orthodox Church the people I've met are so down to earth and humble, and my priest is always willing to help when I ask. In my parish there are a lot of programs that are done to help the needy in our community, donations for schools, disaster relief programs, drug rehabilitation programs, etc. There's just a lot of compassion and willingness to help. A real sense of family, I think.

Of course, I think doctrinal issues might be a problem for you in Orthodoxy if you think it might also be an issue with Catholicism, but look into it. :)

Thanks again for all the suggestions!! I am really enjoying all the points of view on this thread. It is interesting to me to see how many different routes people have gone with this - guess we're not cookie cutter people, even though we all may have been effected by twi.

When the spirit moves, the atmosphere of the room changes. I don't call that praying in the spirit, though. The spirit is always there. It could be an angelic presence or maybe it is what the OT called the glory of the Lord.

Just curious, and not being a smart aleck about it. But how do you know it was spiritual, or supernatural, as opposed to just very emotional? I've been duped by emotional stuff, so I'm very cautious.

Just curious, and not being a smart aleck about it. But how do you know it was spiritual, or supernatural, as opposed to just very emotional? I've been duped by emotional stuff, so I'm very cautious.

My husband and I just had a conversation about this a couple of hours ago... Sometimes the emotions in a room become so intense, you can actually feel them when you walk in... Is that spirit (holy, or otherwise) or is it just a psychological effect? When I was in twi, I thought everything was the result of a debbil spurt or something, now I am not so sure.

So, I second the question, how do you know it is supernatural? I believe the supernatural exists, but how exactly do you define it in this case?

JJ - I've been to the IHOP church. Once. I have never had such an intense church experience in all my life. First off, it's HUGE - HUGE!!! Lots and lots and lots of people. Huge parking lot. Lots and lots and lots of vehicles.

IHOP church??? Is that the International House Of Praise church??

(And do they serve pancakes after the service??) :biglaugh:

If everybody feels it at the same time, it's probably spiritual.

One time I delivered a pizza to a Pentecostal church. I felt the presence of the Lord as I walked in the door, and it was not emotion. All I had on my mind was delivering a pizza. I was actually surprised by it, because I don't agree with their theology.

You may not like our church either. We have fun too.

Gee, Caveman, that's quite a leap from my description of what I experienced firsthand to your remark ASSuming that I don't like fun. Obviously, you've never had the pleasure of spending any time with me.

JavaJ - If you do decide to attend this church, I'd love to hear about your impression.

Edited by bowtwi

Hi Jane,

I don't live in the area, but if I were moving to the area the first two churches I would check out would be:

1. IHOP (International House of Prayer - www.ihop.org). Seems their Sunday morning service is called Forerunner Christian Fellowship. I saw on their website that they webcast their services so if you wanted to see what it's like before actually attending you could attend a "virtual" service.

2. Metro Christian Fellowship (http://www.metro-kc.org/) From the pictures on the website it looks like it's a bit smaller and maybe not as loud as IHOP.

I haven't been to either of these churches but that's where I would start if I moved to the area.

If everybody feels it at the same time, it's probably spiritual.

One time I delivered a pizza to a Pentecostal church. I felt the presence of the Lord as I walked in the door, and it was not emotion. All I had on my mind was delivering a pizza. I was actually surprised by it, because I don't agree with their theology.

What did it feel like? And how did you know it was the Lord? Do you believe feelings can be counterfeit as well? Again, I'm not trying to be argumentative, I really am wondering about how far we can trust "feelings."

I have a cousin-in-law that is part of the International House of Prayer - she is a very sweet girl - although she can be pretty darn argumentitive at times when talking about her belief system... Which I totally get. I used to be the same way myself.

My husband and I are really looking for something that is a little bit more on the mellow side... at least for right now. After being involved in twi and then going to a church that was very into casting out devils in front of the congregation and singling out individuals from the congregation/audience to come up in front of everyone, I don't know if I could handle anything remotely forceful. We mainly need a quiet place where we can heal.

We don't want the sort of church where we would attract much attention - really we want to sort of blend in and sit in the back for a while with no pressure from anyone else. You might say we're a bit on the skittish side since our last church experience(s).

Maybe someday the International House of Prayer might appeal to us, but for now, we need something a little more on the tame side, just to get us adjusted to even attending a church again.

Then again, I could go to International House Of Pancakes every Sunday, and just get fat.

What did it feel like? And how did you know it was the Lord? Do you believe feelings can be counterfeit as well? Again, I'm not trying to be argumentative, I really am wondering about how far we can trust "feelings."

Oh comm'on, what does pizza taste like and how do you know it's pizza? Yes, there are counterfeits, and I can tell the difference, but how do I explain it to you? It's something that you have to experience.

I have a cousin-in-law that is part of the International House of Prayer - she is a very sweet girl - although she can be pretty darn argumentitive at times when talking about her belief system... Which I totally get. I used to be the same way myself.

My husband and I are really looking for something that is a little bit more on the mellow side... at least for right now. After being involved in twi and then going to a church that was very into casting out devils in front of the congregation and singling out individuals from the congregation/audience to come up in front of everyone...

IHOP would be very active worship (which I love). The casting out devils thing I expect would be much more gentile there and very private. It is my understanding that they believe in inner healing which is something that you may be interested in. Basically it is casting out devils, but it is done in a very different way.

A lot of the devils that are cast out were never there in the first place. Inner healing is more of a search and destroy mission. It's kind of like counseling, but it is more like talking about deep issues with a good friend.

Oh comm'on, what does pizza taste like and how do you know it's pizza? Yes, there are counterfeits, and I can tell the difference, but how do I explain it to you? It's something that you have to experience.

We can correctly identify pizza because we (most of us) have had verifiable previous experiences sampling pizza.

Then again, I could go to International House Of Pancakes every Sunday, and just get fat.

I was going to suggest that as an option! :biglaugh: Then maybe let your fingers do some walking in the yellow pages and check out some new in vogue venues!

But please let me know what you find, I love hearing what's new in the church domain!

We can correctly identify pizza because we (most of us) have had verifiable previous experiences sampling pizza.

Besides, if there are counterfeits, some criteria must be used to tell them from the real thing. I'm not doubting your experiences, I'm just leary of "feelings" without some kind of checks and balances. I thought I felt the right stuff when I was in TWI too.

Besides, if there are counterfeits, some criteria must be used to tell them from the real thing. I'm not doubting your experiences, I'm just leary of "feelings" without some kind of checks and balances. I thought I felt the right stuff when I was in TWI too.

IMO Tony's pizza is a counterfeit.