GreaseSpot Cafe

Bienvenido a Miami

Mister P-Mosh

I just found out that I'll be taking a business trip to Miami in October. I don't know if any of you live there, but I assume at least some of you have been there, unlike me.

So basically, here's my question. What is there to do in Miami? My wife and daughter will be coming along, so it has to be family friendly (unless we can get someone in my wife's family to come along to babysit.) We're interested in typical tourist stuff, as well as good restaurants. We'd like to eat authentic Cuban food, although not too greasy if possible since we're not used to eating fried foods anymore.

Also, I'm considering taking a few days to a week off outside of the business trip. My thought was to drive down the keys in a rental car and stay in Key West for a day or two, then drive back. Has anyone tried this, and if so, what should we visit, and what should we avoid? Does it really take three hours to drive from Miami to Key West like Mapquest says?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

There's great hotels, food, night life (for the adults), and wonderful beaches.  

If you want to drive north, there's also Cape Canaveral and the possibility of a shuttle launch, Epcot Center is great for adults and of course there's Disney World, Bush Gardens is nearby, and the beaches on the gulf side are picture perfect.  

Joe's Stone Crab is a landmark very popular restaurant, and make sure you eat some Grouper while you're in Florida, very good fish.  There's so many good cuban cafes and restaurants all over Miami, a good old, popular one to go to is Versailles, they even have a walk up coffee window, another one is the Little Havana restaurant.  Search the web, local miami blogs etc for good tips.

Here's a link for some good restaurant picks: http://cuban-food-usa.com/miami-key.html

Have a good trip, bring your umbrella!

Whew, that's a lotta questions. I live in Fort Lauderdale, about a half hour north of Miami.

I just found out that I'll be taking a business trip to Miami in October. I don't know if any of you live there, but I assume at least some of you have been there, unlike me.
If you're coming after October 15 and you want to try some really good seafood, I suggest Joe's Stone Crab. Stone crabs can only be harvested from Oct. 15 to May 15, so if you go on the 10/16 or later, you're guaranteed fresh (not frozen) stuff.
So basically, here's my question. What is there to do in Miami? My wife and daughter will be coming along, so it has to be family friendly (unless we can get someone in my wife's family to come along to babysit.)

If you get the babysitter: Because I don't know your age, I can't tell you whether South Beach would be any fun. I haven't been there in a long time: it's not fun for me anymore. Call me old.

With the family, try to carve out some time to visit the Miami Seaquarium. Think of it as a low-rent SeaWorld, without the ride gimmicks. There's also the MetroZoo and (a kid-favorite) Parrot Jungle Island. And, of course, you've got the Everglades nearby, too. One thing I haven't done in a long time is a bicycle tour of Shark Valley (deceptively named: you won't see sharks). You basically ride along a 15-mile paved path through the Everglades. It is lovely. One warning (and it's a big one): if there's an actual alligator in your path, you miiiiight want to just wait until it decides it's good and ready to move. Or you might just want to turn back. They usually stay away from the path, though. I have never heard of an alligator attack incident in Shark Valley, and I've been here nine years. It pretty much doesn't happen. But you do end up seeing them from a couple of hundred yeards, and I once saw one sprinting (not toward me), which was a real hoot.

We're interested in typical tourist stuff, as well as good restaurants. We'd like to eat authentic Cuban food, although not too greasy if possible since we're not used to eating fried foods anymore.
Hmm. I was going to direct you to the famous "Calle Ocho," but after that, I honestly wouldn't know what to tell you. I don't eat much in Miami.
Also, I'm considering taking a few days to a week off outside of the business trip. My thought was to drive down the keys in a rental car and stay in Key West for a day or two, then drive back. Has anyone tried this, and if so, what should we visit, and what should we avoid? Does it really take three hours to drive from Miami to Key West like Mapquest says?

Three, three-and-a-half or so. And that last leg seems endless. But there's fun to be had along the way. Stop off at Pennekamp State Park, the original Tiki Bar, or the Islamorada (pronounced "eye-la-more-ah-da") Fish Company for fun, drink and food (in that order). You may also want to pay us a visit in Fort Lauderdale: we've got a fun little science museum kids love, a family-friendly beach and a nice shopping strip on Las Olas Blvd. Speaking of shopping, be sure to check out the mammoth Sawgrass Mills Mall and, for bargains, the Swap Shop.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Hope so. Look me up while you're here. We'll grab foodstuffs.

I owe a few friends down that way a visit - depending on the week-end, I might be able to swing down and meet up with you and Raf and the families for some foodstuffs. :)

Raf is the expert on the area, though, so I'll leave all advice up to him.

There's great hotels, food, night life (for the adults), and wonderful beaches.

If you want to drive north, there's also Cape Canaveral and the possibility of a shuttle launch, Epcot Center is great for adults and of course there's Disney World, Bush Gardens is nearby, and the beaches on the gulf side are picture perfect.

Joe's Stone Crab is a landmark very popular restaurant, and make sure you eat some Grouper while you're in Florida, very good fish. There's so many good cuban cafes and restaurants all over Miami, a good old, popular one to go to is Versailles, they even have a walk up coffee window, another one is the Little Havana restaurant. Search the web, local miami blogs etc for good tips.

Here's a link for some good restaurant picks: http://cuban-food-usa.com/miami-key.html

Have a good trip, bring your umbrella!

Thanks for the information. We'll probably give your restaurant suggestions a try. The link you provided also is great, and I read some of the articles and they were very informative. One question though. I know it's not a Cuban food, but are there any places to get good, fresh ceviche in Miami? If you haven't heard of it, it's basically the latin American version of sushi. It's raw fish that has chemically cooked in lime juice for an hour or so. There aren't a lot of good places here in Houston, and gulf seafood around here is pretty terrible and full of poisons/chemicals due to all the factories.

We are definitely looking forward to this trip, and if there is a shuttle launch the days we are there, I'll want to see that.

Oh, and as far as umbrellas are concerned, I'm used to hot, muggy weather with instant random rain showers.

Whew, that's a lotta questions. I live in Fort Lauderdale, about a half hour north of Miami.

If you're coming after October 15 and you want to try some really good seafood, I suggest Joe's Stone Crab. Stone crabs can only be harvested from Oct. 15 to May 15, so if you go on the 10/16 or later, you're guaranteed fresh (not frozen) stuff.

If you get the babysitter: Because I don't know your age, I can't tell you whether South Beach would be any fun. I haven't been there in a long time: it's not fun for me anymore. Call me old.

I will be there right after October 15th, so it sounds like it's the place we need to go for sure. As far as my age and my wife's age is concerned, I turned 30 recently and she's a couple of years younger. So it would likely be fun if we can get a babysitter.

With the family, try to carve out some time to visit the Miami Seaquarium. Think of it as a low-rent SeaWorld, without the ride gimmicks. There's also the MetroZoo and (a kid-favorite) Parrot Jungle Island.

Do you think those would be interesting for a child less than two years old? My daughter really digs animals, but I don't know if she could make a full day of it or not.

And, of course, you've got the Everglades nearby, too. One thing I haven't done in a long time is a bicycle tour of Shark Valley (deceptively named: you won't see sharks). You basically ride along a 15-mile paved path through the Everglades. It is lovely. One warning (and it's a big one): if there's an actual alligator in your path, you miiiiight want to just wait until it decides it's good and ready to move. Or you might just want to turn back. They usually stay away from the path, though. I have never heard of an alligator attack incident in Shark Valley, and I've been here nine years. It pretty much doesn't happen. But you do end up seeing them from a couple of hundred yeards, and I once saw one sprinting (not toward me), which was a real hoot.

We've got alligators here too, and they don't seem to attack people at the parks here either. I've seen them from about ten feet away with no problems, although if there was one big enough for me to fit in it's mouth I wouldn't get that close.

Hmm. I was going to direct you to the famous "Calle Ocho," but after that, I honestly wouldn't know what to tell you. I don't eat much in Miami.

While we prefer not to eat fried foods, I know that we have to make some exceptions. We're not in Miami every day, and the Cuban restaurants in Houston are not that great, or are just Tex-Mex with a few Cuban-like dishes.

Three, three-and-a-half or so. And that last leg seems endless. But there's fun to be had along the way. Stop off at Pennekamp State Park, the original Tiki Bar, or the Islamorada (pronounced "eye-la-more-ah-da") Fish Company for fun, drink and food (in that order). You may also want to pay us a visit in Fort Lauderdale: we've got a fun little science museum kids love, a family-friendly beach and a nice shopping strip on Las Olas Blvd. Speaking of shopping, be sure to check out the mammoth Sawgrass Mills Mall and, for bargains, the Swap Shop.

That sounds good. It seems like it would just be a great place to drive around in, especially when things cool down like they should be by the time if the year we'll be there.

Hope so. Look me up while you're here. We'll grab foodstuffs.

I will send you details when the date gets closer, and arrangements are finalized for the travel.

I owe a few friends down that way a visit - depending on the week-end, I might be able to swing down and meet up with you and Raf and the families for some foodstuffs. :)

Raf is the expert on the area, though, so I'll leave all advice up to him.

That sounds good. Like I told Raf, I'll send a PM once the date is closer. :-)

A quick search turns up a place called "Mi Peru" in North Miami with some pretty good ceviche. I can't vouch for it, seeing I first encountered the term roughly three minutes ago when I read your post.

If you just turned 30, you'll LOVE South Beach. If the bride of P-Mosh isn't a fuddy duddy, that is. Last time I was there, one of the more fun places was called Mango's. But honestly, there are so many party places on Ocean Drive that it's hard to have a bad time.

No, skip the Shark Valley and the Seaquarium if the kid is that young. Stick with the zoo or, probably better, jungle island.

I can't believe I forgot to mention Versailles! Thanks NIS!

bring a lot of $ if you go to Joes!

yes it takes that long to drive to Key West, a lot of it is two lane road and the speed limit is low and strictly enforced... set the cruise control on the speed limit, if anyone passes you chances are you'll see them pulled over later on...

rather than Key West you might stop at mile marker 61 and visit Hawks Cay (www.hawkscay.com) it's very family friendly and just went through a huge renovation... I spent 8 months there last year...