GreaseSpot Cafe

Mystic River

Raf

As an acting vehicle, this movie must be seen. Sean Penn, Tim Robbins, Kevin Bacon, Marcia Gay Harden and Laura Linney all deliver for director Clint Eastwood.

As a murder mystery, its only flaw is that you can figure out the killer's identity almost from the first moment he/she appears on the screen. You spend your time wondering what the killer's motive was, only to find out you were wrong about the motive (but not the killer's identity).

The mystery is good, but it's the acting that carries this movie.

Spoiler below: Highlight with the mouse if you want to read it, but it discusses details of the movie that you won't want to know before you see it...

I guess you're right. But then, I figured out the ending to the Sixth Sense about 30 minutes into the movie.

As for Mystic River, the moment the mute showed up in the grocery store, my date and I looked at each other and nodded as if to say "He did it." Then, as the movie progressed, it seemed that he did it to keep his brother from running off with the girl. Later we find that wasn't the motive, so we got the motive wrong but we got the killer right.

I loved what they did with Tim Robbins character, because I never felt that he was guilty, but I was dying to know how he got those cuts.

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw it this weekend after watching "Inside the Actors Studio" w/Clint Eastwood. (catch that if you can)

The entire ensemble cast did a great job but Sean Penn's performance was everything it was hyped to be and more. Tim Robbins is just as deserving for his portrayal of "Dave".

A gripping and riveting story. The characters just suck you in hook line and sinker. I too guessed the killer... about three different times! I think that's one of the things that keeps you so enveloped... just when you've got it figured out, it changes...

good for you Raffy if you caught it that early, but I sure missed that...

anyway, go... see... feel... it's more than worth the money...

I'm on the outside, looking inside, what do I see? Much confusion, disillusion, all around me.