GreaseSpot Cafe

Dang!!! He Did It ------

dmiller

Michael Phelps takes 8 gold medals in the Olympics.

I didn't think it could be done, but it was done tonight. 8 gold medals in one event at one Olympics with 7 of those Gold being world records, and 1 being an Olympic record. I'm not all that interested in sports, but the possibilities here had me captivated and watching as he got one gold medal after another.

Kudos to him. Raising a glass in his honor here -------

beer.jpg

Edited by dmiller

It's a huge deal huh?

Its front of the Wheaties box big!

phelps.jpg

This is from the finish of the 100meter butterfly...a jillionth of a second before the finish..

Phelps is on the LEFT, check out where his hands are---and he won!

some great frame by frame photos of the photo finish are HERE

Edited by mstar1

Its front of the Wheaties box big!

phelps.jpg

This is from the finish of the 100meter butterfly...a jillionth of a second before the finish..

Phelps is on the LEFT, check out where his hands are---and he won!

some great frame by frame photos of the photo finish are HERE

Thanks for that link, Mstar. :)

Heard some stats on Phelps today that I hadn't heard before.

He's 6'4" tall, but has legs the same as a person whose 5'8" tall.

His upper body is the same as someone 6'8" tall, with a 32" waist.

If he spreads out his arms, the span is 6'7" in width.

He has oversized hands and feet (size 14 shoe).

(His double jointed ankles help, acting as an extra advantage in the water).

His mother (when he was in grade school) was told he would NEVER amount to anything.

He was "Too shy, too hyper-active (ADHD), too this and too that".

Now he is THE most decorated Olympian of all time.

What a performance this week, eh?

Did they really say he had ADHD? Because my precious grandson's mother thinks he has it and desperately wants him drugged within an inch of his life so she won't have to deal with it! And The Sprout's Sprout LOVES to swim! I got him lessons this summer, maybe I should try to continue them somehow to give him an outlet for his energy.

WG

Did they really say he had ADHD? Because my precious grandson's mother thinks he has it and desperately wants him drugged within an inch of his life so she won't have to deal with it! And The Sprout's Sprout LOVES to swim! I got him lessons this summer, maybe I should try to continue them somehow to give him an outlet for his energy.

WG

It's harder, but she should try changing his diet first. No refined sugars and flours. If a kid eats nothing but fruit, vegetables, whole grain breads, good quality meat, dairy, and still has signs of ADHD, then medicine may be a thought. However, I seem to recall that most of the medicines, even ones like Ritalin, aren't completely tested for children and thus may have worse side effects than they solve. For most kids if they eat right and get enough exercise, they will change dramatically. There are definite problems and ADHD is real, but a lot of the times it's a poor diet, lack of exercise, and too much TV being misdiagnosed.

WG

It's harder, but she should try changing his diet first. No refined sugars and flours. If a kid eats nothing but fruit, vegetables, whole grain breads, good quality meat, dairy, and still has signs of ADHD, then medicine may be a thought. However, I seem to recall that most of the medicines, even ones like Ritalin, aren't completely tested for children and thus may have worse side effects than they solve. For most kids if they eat right and get enough exercise, they will change dramatically. There are definite problems and ADHD is real, but a lot of the times it's a poor diet, lack of exercise, and too much TV being misdiagnosed.

Watered Garden --- Yes they did say he had ADHD. I'm no doctor, or medical professional by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm of the opinion that boys will be boys. When I used to play square dances for kids in grade school as a part of a community education thing I did, we'd say something like:

"OK Everybody! --- Let's form a line right up and down the floor here.

We need the boys on one side, and girls on the other."

Every last boy would RUN to get in line. Not a one of them would walk. Hyper-active?? I don't think so. Just being natural. I (personally) think it's a skewed system (these days) that's decided somehow that this kind of activity is *unacceptable behavior*, and they want to tame it by using drugs. I won't go so far as to link it to a conspiracy theory about liberals trying to *feminize* the young males of today, but that is a thought that's crossed my mind from time to time.

I agree with Mr. P-Mosh about the diet thing and where he said that ADHD can be mis-diagnosed. Personally -- I also am loath to see drugs used when a natural diet (or other methods) can be used instead. And I also dislike seeing it used on youth who are just being themselves and will OBVIOUSLY be more energetic and physically active than the folks who want to drug them.

Concur completely with P-Mosh and Dmiller - here in CA ADHD is often nothing more than an excuse to not let "boys be boys" and indeed has been in court. I am not suggesting that all young male behaviour is correct - and as others have said -I am no medical professional - but the medication of young males in the CA school system has become so flagrant that other med professionals are defending that boys "can be boys'

Watered Garden --- Yes they did say he had ADHD. I'm no doctor, or medical professional by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm of the opinion that boys will be boys. When I used to play square dances for kids in grade school as a part of a community education thing I did, we'd say something like:

"OK Everybody! --- Let's form a line right up and down the floor here.

We need the boys on one side, and girls on the other."

Every last boy would RUN to get in line. Not a one of them would walk. Hyper-active?? I don't think so. Just being natural. I (personally) think it's a skewed system (these days) that's decided somehow that this kind of activity is *unacceptable behavior*, and they want to tame it by using drugs. I won't go so far as to link it to a conspiracy theory about liberals trying to *feminize* the young males of today, but that is a thought that's crossed my mind from time to time.

I agree with Mr. P-Mosh about the diet thing and where he said that ADHD can be mis-diagnosed. Personally -- I also am loath to see drugs used when a natural diet (or other methods) can be used instead. And I also dislike seeing it used on youth who are just being themselves and will OBVIOUSLY be more energetic and physically active than the folks who want to drug them.