GreaseSpot Cafe

A New England Clam Bake?

ChasUFarley

Anybody got a map and a great big red marker?

On another thread Another Dan is ready to head to Colorado for the "clambake", it might be a little tough to find Alton from there

He's a guy.... do you really think he's gonna ask directions??? :blink:

The Chinese have a way around this. If you go eat at an authentic Chinese restaurant that has seafood, they are full of fish tanks that have all the crabs, fish, lobsters, frogs, etc. in tanks that they will pull out and cook immediately.

By the way, you can't cook and eat a dead lobster or clam - at least, not one that's been dead for a few hours. They release ammonia and other chemicals in the body when they die that makes them unfit for human consumption (in other words, you'll get sick as a dog!)

In this area, in the local supermarkets, if you see a cooked lobster wrapped like meat (on a styrofoam plate, covered in plastic) and in the cooler area to be sold, then it's likely that it died either that day or during the evening. I never, ever buy cooked lobsters for that reason!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure I can make this but I sure am going to try !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will be at the Connecticut Renaissance Faire starting that weekend till end of Oct. so I will have to see how far that is and if I can make it for a few hrs at night but would love to come even for a bit

• 2 weeks later...

I was so very much hoping to come to this but it's just to far for me to make it. :( I checked mapquest and it's 9 hrs away from the faire I will be at. Unfortunatly I don't have a staff for that faire so I can't leave the booth sigh. Any way I hope you all have fun and have some clams and lobster for me!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, I'll start with the details - Pawtucket has the pictures...

Don'tWorry and Paw showed up around 3PM and we gave them the ten cent tour of the house. They met the two boys (more on that later) and the pets. We chatted and chatted and chatted. It was raining like a fatherless child outside so there was no camp fire going or anything like I had hoped for - it was still cozy in the house. There was a possibility that Shazdancer might be joining us but alas, she couldn't make it.

I thought it might be a good idea to cook the feast around 6PM, so we started with steamed clams with drawn butter. The clams were probably the best I've had all summer - sweet, meaty - just awesome. Then we had some really good fish chowder as we were waiting for the huge black pot of water to come to a boil. There were crackers and cheese, garlic bread and other nibbles set out.

Now, for those of you who don't know this: Pawtucket is doing awesome on his diet. My hat goes off to the man and I'm truly inspired by his progress. However, his diet is a totally liquid diet. We considered pureeing some lobster but somehow it didn't sound as appetizing... Don'tWorry was Paw's designated eater that night.

I steamed our lobsters and we ate them in drawn butter and boy, were they good. Lobster is about $5.89/lb in this area right now; so that's not too bad. We had corn on the cob and boiled potato on the side. The kids, who don't care for lobster (they call them monsters!) had chedderworst (a smoked sausage with cheese in the middle). We washed it all down with Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout (and I opted for a rum & Coke.)

Dessert was carrot cake cupcakes (say that three times fast.) Everything was tastee! I admit that there wasn't as much food prepared from scratch as I would have liked (Chas is a good cook) because we weren't sure how bad the rain storm might be.

Now, as we were yaking up a storm and getting to know each other better, Andreas (my 3 year old) took a real shine to Pawtucket. He sat in Pawtucket's lap or climbed up on the counter next to him. At one point, when it was time for Andreas to go to bed, he ran to Pawtucket to have him tuck him in - he didn't want mommy and daddy! I thought Paw was going to go home with another pet - a little two legged one! Anyhow, it was very sweet!

As some of you may know, Hubby has a bad case of GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) when it comes to guitars. By the time the night was over he had pulled them all out to show our guests and we got to jam a little with Don'tWorry. (Chas plays bass guitar but I'm a beginner - Hubby and Don'tWorry were way beyond my level but I was happy to listen).

We finally wrapped up the night sometime after 1:00AM. It was a very nice time and our butts were dragging the next morning (I had to work! BLECH!) but it was well worth it. We're looking forward to doing this again next year, maybe around the same time. Hopefully, others can join us - it was really a fun time together.

Aw, shoot, Chas, I'm totally eating my heart out for not making it, it sounds like a lot of fun. But as I was a complete vegetable even through the next day, it was the right decision. My apologies for having to bow out.

I'm feeling sort of hermit-like. I gotta get out more. :D

-- Shaz