GreaseSpot Cafe

A New England Clam Bake?

ChasUFarley

The TX BBQ has me thinking...

And we've mentioned this before....

But I'm wondering if some of the east-coasters would be into a New England clam bake get-together?

We're in NH - and it doesn't have to be here - but we could host the event.

I'm thinking something in late September.....??

What say you?

ClamBake2.jpg

Man does THAT sound like some fun. I can't be there but I can participate vicariously can't I? I've never been to a clam bake but I always thought they were done on the shore when it was chilly, say 40-50 degrees, and everyone had to wear a heavy sweater or jacket. Eating lobster and clams etc. while cuddled up trying to keep warm around the fire on the beach.

sudo

It's already 54 degrees at night here - the temp isn't a problem... it's going to be between 53 - 57 degrees each night this week.

Getting a fire permit on a public beach would be a problem....

We do have a nice stream by our house that can count as "ambiance" and we do live at the foot of the biggest lake in New England.

Lobsta is about $5.99/lb right now and steamers (clams) run about $3.99/lb. Corn is being harvested right about now and blueberries (pie!) are in season. In another month it will be apple season (more pie!)

Well, last weekend in September looks good here... 9/27-28. Because it's the school year we could only have guests here for Saturday night (overnight) and we can put up about 4-6 people on beds/sleeper sofas. We don't have a ton of land but we do have a small town beach on Lake Winnipesaukee. We might be able to swing a fire permit there... If not, there is a Christian campground that might allow us to use their site and bbqs (it's the oldest camp in the USA - very neat history to that place!)

Paw - how long are you gonna be dieting?

Anyhow, let me know what might work for you... we may have some options here....

Edited by ChasUFarley

Is beef brisket an option to clam???? :biglaugh:

I always thought they were done on the shore when it was chilly, say 40-50 degrees, and everyone had to wear a heavy sweater or jacket.

sudo

Chilly???? 40 to 50 is considered a heat wave here!. But we don't have clams either.

We can always throw in some smoked sausage or brisket or whatever tickles your fancy. My oldest doesn't like lobster now (he loved it when he was a toddler - absolutely pestered us if he saw we were eating a lobster roll - how did he know it was good???) and Andreas screams and runs from them, "MONSTERS!"

So, yeah... it doesn't have to be all shellfish. We can improvise.

If it rains, we have a large open concept kitchen with a bar that seats about 8 people and a sunroom (enclosed) that would seat another 6-8 people. We're good on indoor space, too. We also have a long farmer's porch (smoker's room!).

But there must be BEER. Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy. Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout, Guinness, Sam Adams Double Bock, and whatever else....

Oh, yes... How can I forget.... Guitars. Bring your instrument, if you play one. We do have some amps (three for guitar, one for bass) for those who like to plug in. We have a piano, too (it's a clunker, tho).

Edited by ChasUFarley

Drum roll please.... I've spoken to Mathman about it and he's game (of course, Chas can be a very persuasive wife....)

Here's the official announcement....

You Are Cordially Invited

to

THE NEW ENGLAND G'SPOTTERS CLAM BAKE

to be held

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 27, 2008

(rain or shine)

in

ALTON, NH

Overnighters welcome to stay

Bring your musical instrument(s)

Either PM Chas via this forum or email me at jarg@metrocast.net

Now, for food details...

Seems we have a basic menu here along with offers for people to bring drinks or help. We can procure the food but can't afford to foot the bill for everyone. I can come up with a very reasonable cost (around $10/per person, I think) for food. That would be lobster, chowder, clams/muscles, boiled potatoes, corn on the cob, smoked sausage, rolls, salad, and pie, cake, etc. for dessert. Does that sound fair? If someone wants more than one lobster, they can kick in the cost (about $5/ea right now) for an extra beastie.

If you're sleeping over, breakfast will most certainly be available - Mathman does an awesome breakfast and loves cooking for folks!

As we say here in New England.... What say you?

(By the way - Kristopher is asking me if any kids are coming along... If there's any G'Spotter Kiddos, they're welcome too!)

Edited by ChasUFarley

ChasU!!! ...Kristopher wants to go to another ball game before the season ends! Hurry!

Especially when this wednesday is Clay Buchholz Bobblehead Night at the Fishercats..

What kid wouldnt want one of those?

Hell --I want one! :)

Unfortunately I wont be able to make the 27th due to a previous engagement in Rhode Island that weekend-but will be with you all in spirit, hopefully having some form of clambake of my own.....

I'll be looking forward to seeing the videos, photos and bailbondsmen receipts :spy:

Have Fun!

Hope that you can capture some of that music for us...

.....and to those questioning New England clams and lobstahs

all I know for sure is that youve never had real ones

they are one of the universal proofs that there is a God,

and that he loves us....

mmmm....mmmm ..mmmm...

......nothin like it.....

they are one of the universal proofs that there is a God,

and that he loves us....

hmmm... I thought that was beer...

Lobster I'm okay with (although you do know their genetic cousins don't you)... but clams? I think I had some fried clams once and they tasted like little erasers... was something being done wrong?

I had some fried clams once and they tasted like little erasers... was something being done wrong?

If you were more than 50 miles away from the coast most likely.

Rule of Thumb: Quality of seafood decreases exponentially the further you get from the ocean

Its best right on the water,

10 miles away still OK,

25 OK but noticable decrease

100 still recognizable as seafood but not by much

150+ still has the same name but unsure as to what it actually is although it seems to be edible

250+ "clams" are probably are erasers or rubber bands

hmmm... I thought that was beer...

Lobster I'm okay with (although you do know their genetic cousins don't you)... but clams? I think I had some fried clams once and they tasted like little erasers... was something being done wrong?

You mean anthropods? (i.e. spiders?)

Yes, but I'm afraid spiders wouldn't be very tasty when steamed and dipped in drawn butter.

If the clams tasted like erasers they were probably clam strips - without the bellies - and/or overcooked.

If you were more than 50 miles away from the coast most likely.

Rule of Thumb: Quality of seafood decreases exponentially the further you get from the ocean

Its best right on the water,

10 miles away still OK,

25 OK but noticable decrease

100 still recognizable as seafood but not by much

150+ still has the same name but unsure as to what it actually is although it seems to be edible

250+ "clams" are probably are erasers or rubber bands

The Chinese have a way around this. If you go eat at an authentic Chinese restaurant that has seafood, they are full of fish tanks that have all the crabs, fish, lobsters, frogs, etc. in tanks that they will pull out and cook immediately.

Spiders? LOL! Hope KG isn't coming to your place :biglaugh: . Trying to work with Rascal about our Weenie roast down here in da south. TS, maybe smoke a few crawdads like Granny from the Beverly Hillbillies? :jump:

The Chinese have a way around this. If you go eat at an authentic Chinese restaurant that has seafood, they are full of fish tanks that have all the crabs, fish, lobsters, frogs, etc. in tanks that they will pull out and cook immediately.

We do something like that here, too. It's in tanks and alive. The kids treat the grocery store like an aquarium - there's displays of lobsters in the middle of the deli/seafood dept. aisle.

You mean anthropods? (i.e. spiders?)

Yes, but I'm afraid spiders wouldn't be very tasty when steamed and dipped in drawn butter.

If the clams tasted like erasers they were probably clam strips - without the bellies - and/or overcooked.

no... I meant cockroaches!

...and where I had the fried clams was when I lived on the Jersey shore...