GreaseSpot Cafe

Raf's speech at Journalism Convention

Raf

A little bit of necessary setup.

First, I couldn't figure out which forum to put this in. I figured here would be as good as any.

So, what happened? Well there was this HUGE journalism convention: National Association of Black Journalists, Asian Journalists, Native American Journalists and Hispanic Journalists. Every four years we hold one joint convention. Mammoth. We just finished one up in Chicago.

So, for the opening ceremony, there was a video presentation by Oprah Winfrey. This was followed by speeches from the association presidents. The Asian journalist was first, and her first words were something like, "great, I have to follow Oprah." Then she gave a fine speech and walked off the stage. Next was the Black journalist president, and she brought the house down. I mean, she had people ready to boycott buses and march on Washington. Helluva speech!

Then it was my turn.

Hi Raf, congrats, good speech!  Great to see journalists interested in integrity and helping each other succeed.  

I've always appreciated journalists who are there to present the truth, warts and all, who respect the reader, where you can count on getting the straight scoop from their writings, in contrast to those few who desire to gain personal accolade and sensationalism, who often give journalism a bad name.  

Thanks for sharing the video with us, good job, keep up the good work!

Well said and Kudos! :eusa_clap:

Good point regarding denigrating one's own product, which certainly makes the consumer (the public) even more cynical and distrustful of the media at large. And, as you pointed out, I don't think that's the outcome desired by news organizations or individual journalists.

• 3 months later...

Great job, Raf!

Next time you are in the chicagoland area, I would love it if you would come speak at my school. I run an all girl therapeutic day school and oversee part of the residential school on-site. We have some TALENTED writers who would benefit from your words. (We would pay your hotel and etc.)

Let me know....

Email me at: chindy004@yahoo.com and I will answer you through my work email.

And if you know of any other folk that could inspire my girls....lemme know!

Thanks,

Cindy