GreaseSpot Cafe

Little things we wonder about

HAPe4me

And -- when you (or I) are under water, how is it that we instinctively know which way is up, eh?? <_<

Can you say -- some things are subject to *natural law*???

Nice try but All you have to do is relax and you float to the top of water.

I suppose we could expect that they are float ing to the top of the dirt :blink: :)

Geotropism

I always wonder how plants know which way to grow when they sprout.

Even if bulbs get put in the ground upside down they will grow down and then turn right around and head up to the surface.

How do they know which way to grow?

They are buried in dirt.

Actually depending on circumstances you don't - especially in high velocity crashes such as plane or boat.

And -- when you (or I) are under water, how is it that we instinctively know which way is up, eh?? <_<

Can you say -- some things are subject to *natural law*???

Why as I am driving in the country...some horses have on coats and others don't?

and..then why do I feel sorry for the coatless horses?

Just to relieve your bad feelings for the horses

The blankets are not to keep the horses warm

but to keep their coats clean.

I learned this not too long ago from a friend who shows her horses.

okay and for anyone wondering

the definition of geotropic

ge·ot·ro·pism (j-tr-pzm) n.

The growth of a living organism in response to gravity, as the downward growth of plant roots.

geo·tropic (j-trpk, -trpk) adj.

geo·tropi·cal·ly adv.

Rats and I was so liking the other definition:

Geotropism - is that when George goes to the warmer climates for the winter? quoted by MArk above HEhehe

Edited by leafytwiglet

speaking of driving...

every once in awhile I'll get in some traffic jam on a highway---crawling along, crawling... crawling... for 5 10 15 minutes... then...after awhile for no particular reason it opens right up unexpectedly and Im immediately back at 65--there was no accident to pass no road work no anything--the jam just suddenly disappears---whats that all about?

Just to relieve your bad feelings for the horses

The blankets are not to keep the horses warm

but to keep their coats clean.

I learned this not too long ago from a friend who shows her horses.

okay and for anyone wondering

the definition of geotropic

ge·ot·ro·pism (j-tr-pzm) n.

The growth of a living organism in response to gravity, as the downward growth of plant roots.

geo·tropic (j-trpk, -trpk) adj.

geo·tropi·cal·ly adv.

Rats and I was so liking the other definition:

Geotropism - is that when George goes to the warmer climates for the winter? quoted by MArk above HEhehe

Oh good! I was feeling bad for those horses not being treated equally! :unsure: :wink2:

speaking of driving...

every once in awhile I'll get in some traffic jam on a highway---crawling along, crawling... crawling... for 5 10 15 minutes... then...after awhile for no particular reason it opens right up unexpectedly and Im immediately back at 65--there was no accident to pass no road work no anything--the jam just suddenly disappears---whats that all about?

Another example of failed Bush policies. :D

George

Geotropism

Actually depending on circumstances you don't - especially in high velocity crashes such as plane or boat.

Rumrunner, I think has nailed it on the head... um, I think mushrooms are not plants?? They actually need a tiny bit of light to orient themselves... may I have a bronze star for the day?

Edited by mchud11