GreaseSpot Cafe

Rocky Horror/Tommy..... Means?

Dot Matrix

Okay.

I am a adult who grew up during the 60/70's.

I was in TWI and never saw Rocky Horror nor did I see Tommy until after I left TWI. I guess I watched them because now I could watch them without having to go to a meeting to be delivered of the demons I would get from viewing them. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

So, I sit down and watch it on TV. I have NO idea what any of it means. I dabbled in the symbolic nature and still do not get it.

Rocky Horror: He is a transsexual from outer space? The symbolism eludes me. Janet and her boyfriend are lost and find their way to "Rocky's house". They each have an affair with the transsexual thinking he is someone else at first. Rocky is created for the transsexual but doesn't like his transsexual creator.

A biker shows up (Meatloaf) and dies. They all fall into a swimming pool and the house goes up into space.

Tommy: He can not see or hear but he looks into the mirror all the time. His Mom pushes him through the mirror then he can see and hear. He gets into religion. Then he becomes the religion and the object of worchip. His parents join him. Then some bikers (again with the bikers) show up and Tommy kills his parents. Then goes swimming and climbs a mountain. What the f?

Okay what in the he!! Does anyone know what it all means? I have such a headache.... icon_confused.gif:confused:-->

Dot Matrix

You got me Dot. I never was one for rock operas. I remember seeing Rocky Horror waaaaaay back when it was playing at the Biograph in Chicago. I remember being amazed at the time by the audiance. But I thought the movie sucked. Although I did like the timewarp. I saw the movie years later and I still thought it sucked. (although I really like tim curry)

I'f there is any kind of symbolizm in these operas, than I guess that I'm either not artsy enough to get it, or I still have some brain cells intact.

I have no idea wht the true meaning is.

I've seen Rocky Horror but not Tommy.

I think it is all just a ploy to allow people to cross-dress and throw popcorn and soda at the movie screen. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

That and that bikers are eeeeeevil.

OR are they?

I think the answer to all your qwestions are in the greatest movie of all time.

biker1:

"I say we kill him."

group:

"YEAH!"

Biker2:

"I say we hang him....then we kill him!"

"YEAH!"

"I say we skin im' then we tatoo im'... then we hang im'.. and then we kill him!"

"YEAH!!!"

biker lady:

"I say you give him to me first."

bikers:

"YEEEAAAAAHHH!"

("Pee Wee's Big Adventure")

sorry I'm a child of the eighties.

Pee Wee then as a last request does his own version of "break" dancing to the toon of "Taquila". The bikers befriend him, give him a bike and send him on his way. Pee Wee imediatley rides off into a bilboard and almost dies.

The moral?

Oh, I think it is very obvious.

Moral:

In the presence of bikers....

If you act like a gay child dressed like a white member of the Nation of Isalam while dancing in platform shoes and breaking things, you become a "brother" to them and they give you things. Also, nobody dies.

you only nearly die.

Any questions?

Watch the movie, you'll see the light. icon_wink.gif;)-->

Lindy

Thanks for your insight and in a light hearted response--

Lindy:

I will have to check out peewee. Of course that is only when he is not checking himself out at the theater....Mmmmmm The popcorn throwing and audience participation was something that happened later. I do not think it was intentional. But considering how awful the movie was perhaps the first one to throw something at the screen was because they paid $8.00 to see a sucky film and from there it grew to tossing toast etc.

Rottie:

And what is with the old guy in the wheel chair who gets up and has on a garter belt?

I also like the Time warp.

I tried to reasonably figure out Tommy. It was written during the time when cults were popping up everywhere. Perhaps it was a kid whose parents never saw or heard him. So he joins a cult let's call the cult -- TWI. Then, he gets so involved with it he becomes the object of worship -- translation he goes in the corps and becomes ordained.

Then, he kills his parents -- symbolic for not being able to go home to be with your family when you were a WOW.

I still do not get the swimming and climbing a mountain however. Unless of course, the mountain is the giant erection leadership has for single believers... Mmmmmm perplexing.

Dot Matrix

If you're wondering how he eats and breathes,

And other science facts (la-la-la!)

Just repeat to yourself 'It's just a show...

I should really just relax'...--Opening theme to "Mystery Science Theater 3000"

Rocky Horror was originally a British stage musical, written by the actor who plays Riff Raff in the film. It's just a farce really, nothing more. It's really more of a filmgoing experience than a decent film in its own right. The audience is frequently funnier than the dialogue, and the whole thing is best thought of as one tremendous in-joke. Watching it on DVD, you may feel it's a waste of time. Seeing it in a theater with a bunch of silly folks participating is fun.

The story Ex on that site is nothing like the movie. Did the meaning change when it was filmed?

For instance when Tommy's mother is in her pristine white room. She sings a song in her not very good Ann Margaret singing voice. Then she throws a bottle at the TV. The TV breaks and weird things start to flow out of it -- like dark liquid and red stuff with white pasta looking things. Mom rolls around in each substance then she grinds her vagina on a huge long pillow shaped like a large long (like 7 feet long) neck roll. Represents a penis?

Do you know why when Tommy finds religion everyone lives in silver pods and he kills his parents?

I dunno - the site tells a story that is not shown in the movie. Someone screwed up the film then.

Zix- I think someone needs to visit the "acid queen" of Tommy to understand the Rocky Horror Picture show. Maybe it was a Victoria Secret promotional as everyone walked around in garters and Merry widowers....

Dot Matrix

Dot: It's like searching for meaning in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail"--there really isn't any. Unlike "Monty Python's Life of Brian", which explored the silliness of blind faith in anything, Holy Grail was just one big long MP skit.

Same with RHPS. It's just meant to be a farce, poking fun at self-important Hollywood musicals and ridiculous B-movies at the same time. No deep meaning, just silly fun.

It's interesting what age will do to your perspective.

I saw "Tommy" when I was 22 and thought it was really cool.

I watched it again about a year ago and thought it was one of the worst movies I'd ever seen.

Ann Margret rolling around in the chocolate and baked beans was kind of interesting.

I LOVED DARK SHADOWS! And yes, I saw it was back on and watched it and it was awful!!!

I saw Panic in Needle Park when I was a teen -- loved it! Then, years later I saw it and it was terrible -- did not stand the test of time.

Ya know, The Wizard of OZ is still one of my favorites -- go figure.

Maybe one needs to smoke a j to understand those movies and that is something that has been left behind long long ago.

Maybe I will watch it on an Efforx or St. Joh's Wart and see if it is any better.

Pirate- why was she rolling in the beans and chocolate? What did that indicate?

Dot Matrix

I loved Dark Shadows, too Dot!

I went to Rocky Horror Picture Show about 50 times...it wasn't about transexuals, it wasn't about cross-dressing, it wasn't about aliens...it was PURELY about FUN!!!!!!!

No judgements, no spiritualism, no fear....just FUN!!!!

I STILL do the time warp!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone wants an authentic Rocky Horror experience....find someone who has done it many times and go with em....if you don't have a problem with judging stereotypes....it's a BLAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I STILL love it!

I was a HUGE Rocky Horror Fan when I was a teen, I have no idea how many times I've seen it.

Zix is right, there is no meaning, it is a spoof, a parady, a joke. Watching it at home sucks, you have to see it at a theater, preferably one with a floor show. Best time to do this is either Halloween or during an anniversary showing.

Wow, the memories.

I've seen Tommy a few times too, liked most of the music but was not impressed with the movie, nor did I "get it".

Some other great cult classics are "Harold and Maude" which does have a point you will understand and "Clockwork Orange" which is rather violent and graphic.

To every man his own truth and his own God within.

The Time Warp

Riff Raff: It's astounding

Time is fleeting

Madness takes its toll

But listen closely

Magenta: Not for very much longer

Riff Raff: I've got to keep control

I remember doing the Time Warp

Drinking those moments when

The blackness would hit me

Riff and Magenta: And the void would be calling

Chorus Let's do the Time Warp again

Let's do the Time Warp again

Criminologist: It's just a jump to the left

Chorus And then a step to the right

Criminologist: With your hands on your hips

Chorus You bring your knees in tight

But it's the pelvic thrust

That really drives you insane

Magenta: It's so dreamy

Oh, fantasy free me

So you can't see me

No, not at all

In another dimension

With voyeuristic intention

Well secluded, I see all

Riff Raff: With a bit of a mind flip

Magenta: You're into the time slip

Riff Raff: And nothing can ever be the same

Magenta: You're spaced out on sensation

Riff Raff: Like you're under sedation

Columbia: Well I was walking down the street

Just a having a think

When a snake of a guy gave me an evil wink

He shook-a me up, he took me by surprise

He had a pick up truck and the devil's eyes

He stared at me and I felt a change

Time meant nothing, never would again

Criminologist: It's just a jump to the left

Chorus And then a step to the right

Criminologist: With your hands on your hips

Chorus You bring your knees in tight

But it's the pelvic thrust

That really drives you insane

just had do post this...........have fun, I'm listening to the song as we speak

I thought Rocky Horror was the stupidiest movie I have ever seen... except, of course, for the TIME WARP. Best part of the whole movie! Then I get all these fans of Rocky Horror who start calling me Damit Janet. icon_mad.gif

Tommy didn't make any sense either but there was some good music I thought. Haven't seen it in so long that I might not agree with that any more either. icon_eek.gif

trekbadge.gif