GreaseSpot Cafe

Learning from Experience

We were told by certain people at HQ that experience wasn't the best learning. I tend to disagree with that for the most part.

This morning I was on my way to work. I was irritated that someone was trying to push their way in front of me as they were turning. I got to the exit of the complex where I live, where I had to make a right on the road to travel on. I pulled too far out on to the sidewalk along the road and almost hit a boy on a bike! I almost crapped my pants! We got to that space of sidewalk almost at the same time. I was too busy trying to see how quick I could get on the road. There was no traffic coming, but I sure didn't look on the sidewalk. I was horrified with the fact that I could have hit that kid! I learned that I need to stop BEFORE the sidewalk. The situation this morning made a very lasting impact on my mind. I learned from this experience.

What do you guys think about learning from experience?

To handle yourself, use your head; to handle others, use your heart.

Wayfer: very good point, one that we as ex-wayfers need to re-learn: experience is how we re-inforce 'head knowlege', take an abstract idea (stop before you get to the sidewalk) and make it a concrete one.

Twi minimized the importance of experience, gave us a 'better than thou' attitude towards those with experience (they don't have the spirit og God in them, how valid could their experience be type of thinking)

The fact that you were so horrified means that that lesson will stick with you. Emotions (feelings) are what mark an experience so you will remember it for a long time.

Well of course we learn from experience. Even if we have a natural talent for something it's experience that makes it flourish.

This stuff about "we can only go as far as we are taught" doesn't really ring true. If that were true we'd all be living back in the stone age. God gave us noggins to figure stuff out with after all.

Hello

How about this gem...

Forget the past and move forward to the high calling of Christ Jesus???

In the past man In the past,

Cant metion it again.

no experience in LIFE if you follow that beauty the way they use it.

It is the past people , forgivness ,

move forward

Has anyone ever tried to metion an experience that was less that wonderful with one of their faithful ones?

it happened yesterday

oh well that is the past and your a gossip and a slander of someones ministry and God will get you for that.

YOU WANT TO DESTROY A MAN OF GODS MINISTRY????

Any experience was in the past therfore INVALID!

just my experience with a cult.

Ok I have to reply to this one. This has been a great part of my unlearning since departing from twi cult.

We were always told that it wasn't the first will of God to experience bad things in our lives. So whenever something bad did happen, it was condemnation time.

Since being free of the bondage of twi, I have re-thought this. I thought of some of the "not so primary will of God" events in my life and realized,,,, had I not experienced those things in life, I would have been hard toward others that had. Experience is what actually allowed me to be compassionate toward others. And when another falls short in a different area. Well the memory that I fell short in areas of my life as well,,,, again allows me compassion.

God's Word says he will not allow us to be tempted above that which we can stand, without making a way to escape. He doesn't say we won't be tempted, and he expects us to fall short. That is the human element. Thus, I have come to the conclusion that God allows some of this "experience" in our lives so we can be better people, ministers, friends, workers, drivers (hehehe) etc.