GreaseSpot Cafe

Good places to live in Colorado

Tony Soprano

I'm considering a move to Colorado after my deployment to Aganistan, and I am looking for advice on the best places to live. Scenery, cost of living, jobs, etc...I'm also a wildlife kinda guy, so I'm taking that into consideration too. Sometimes I'd prefer to live among mountain lions, bobcats wolves & bears rather than the neighbors I have...LOLbeer.gif

I know a little about the Ft Carson area, but thats about it. Any help is appreciated!

• Upvote 1

I'm considering a move to Colorado after my deployment to Aganistan, and I am looking for advice on the best places to live. Scenery, cost of living, jobs, etc...I'm also a wildlife kinda guy, so I'm taking that into consideration too. Sometimes I'd prefer to live among mountain lions, bobcats wolves & bears rather than the neighbors I have...LOLbeer.gif

I know a little about the Ft Carson area, but thats about it. Any help is appreciated!

Boulder - nothing else to say. Stunningly beautiful - close the the wilds- flat iron mountains in your back yard - neighbors leave you alone - good food - great microbrews - small enough to NOT feel like you live in Denver or Ft. Collins.

• Upvote 1

Boulder - nothing else to say. Stunningly beautiful - close the the wilds- flat iron mountains in your back yard - neighbors leave you alone - good food - great microbrews - small enough to NOT feel like you live in Denver or Ft. Collins.

Colorado Springs...pretty much the same s aRR said.. it is beautiful located at the foot of Pikes peak.. lots of good stuff there

DO Not under any circumstances move to Pueblo..

Just saying... I lived there for a while ...My Brother and his family still lives there ..

IT has always been difficult to find employment there and it is a steel Mill town which pretty much says it all.

Grand Junction is nice too

• Upvote 1

well..........

I live in Colorado, and have for the last 33 years.

Currently I am in Gunnison for the week. cost of living here is reasonable, and easy access to the things you listed. Hunting and fishing would be the prime sports, followed closely by skiing. Over dinner tonight, my friend mentioned a bear or lion got her goat yesterday.

Personally I would like Boulder, but you need to be of at least a bit of a liberal bent to truly enjoy yourself there. It is known as the People's Republic of Boulder for a reason. Rock climbing, hiking, bicycling are the favorite pastimes. Housing is overpriced, but most everything else is typical front range cost. As someone mentioned, its setting by the Flatirons is remarkable.

Colorado Springs is nice, but you are familiar with it. It is largely conservative christian,and also military (which still provides its economy base). Home to Focus on the Family and other mega groups of that ilk. Not my type, but I don't know your interests.

I am not sure why Rum was dissing the size of Fort Collins (maybe he was thinking of ColoSpgs). It is HARDLY a large town, and the oldtown activities, restaurants and flair is remarkable. A good bit more conservative than Boulder, a moderate would be quite comfortable there. It has much more of a cowboy, western freedoms appeal than Boulder. Politically the area has the liberal flair of most college towns, but heavily tempered by the very conservative ideals of its important rural economic supporters. It has a good strong economy balanced soundly with technology, breweries (Bud and more importantly, New Belgium) and many other employment choices. FoCo has easy access to the northern Colorado mountains recreational hunting and fishing areas, Rocky Mountain National Park, as well as being an even one hour drive for the occasional jaunt into the "big" city (denver) (pssst. I have a house about ready for sale outside of Fort Collins in Laporte. Even better access to the mountains there)

You might also consider Grand Junction, but the Coasters have discovered the place and it ain't what it used to be price wise. Durango is high priced housing but totally absolutely georgeous. Steamboat Springs is sweet too. From what you have mentioned so far, it sounds more like you'd rather be in the hills or near them more than out on the plains.

Tell me more about your likes concerning winter and summer weather, and activity preferences, your job interests, cultural interests, housing expectations and I will try to hook you up with some ideas. I am leaning towards northern or western Colorado as my advice for you at the moment.

~HAP

Edited by HAPe4me
  • Upvote 1

I am not sure why Rum was dissing the size of Fort Collins (maybe he was thinking of ColoSpgs). It is HARDLY a large town, and the oldtown activities, restaurants and flair is remarkable. A good bit more conservative than Boulder, a moderate would be quite comfortable there. It has much more of a cowboy, western freedoms appeal than Boulder. Politically the area has the liberal flair of most college towns, but heavily tempered by the very conservative ideals of its important rural economic supporters. It has a good strong economy balanced soundly with technology, breweries (Bud and more importantly, New Belgium) and many other employment choices. FoCo has easy access to the northern Colorado mountains recreational hunting and fishing areas, Rocky Mountain National Park, as well as being an even one hour drive for the occasional jaunt into the "big" city (denver) (pssst. I have a house about ready for sale outside of Fort Collins in Laporte. Even better access to the mountains there)

My bad Hap - I meant to reference size about Denver - Ft Collins just reminds me of yet another mid-sized city.

Boulder is perhaps on my favorite CO list because the time I've spent at the NCAR Mesa Lab - which I confess is like being spoiled - plus I always liked the Nepalese restaurant on Pearl St - great hot sauces!!

• Upvote 1

My bad Hap - I meant to reference size about Denver - Ft Collins just reminds me of yet another mid-sized city.

Boulder is perhaps on my favorite CO list because the time I've spent at the NCAR Mesa Lab - which I confess is like being spoiled - plus I always liked the Nepalese restaurant on Pearl St - great hot sauces!!

tis okay Rum, it struck me odd because Fort Collins is half the size of Boulder. Yep NCAR is pretty cool, and so are the Pearl Street restaurants. FoCo can hold its own cuisine wise however IMO ;) and most every night it's "old town" is live and happening. A great Thai restaurant equals the Nepalese one. Actually my preference is whichever one my young friend (the daughter of some old TWI friends) is currently the chef at but I digress.

tis okay Rum, it struck me odd because Fort Collins is half the size of Boulder. Yep NCAR is pretty cool, and so are the Pearl Street restaurants. FoCo can hold its own cuisine wise however IMO wink.gif and most every night it's "old town" is live and happening. A great Thai restaurant equals the Nepalese one. Actually my preference is whichever one my young friend (the daughter of some old TWI friends) is currently the chef at but I digress.

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I was born & raised in Philadelphia, so I'm comfortable in a big city if I have to be there. I'm registered independant, and lean to be moderate conservative. I'm pretty laid back & easy going so I tend to get along with everyone. Extreme libs don't bother me really. I just ignore them or tell them I'm a Taliban hunter and then they leave me alone after giving me a look of disgust..LOL... I don't hunt, but I enjoy wildlife and nature. I currently work in law enforcement which I'm growing tired of really fast. I've thought about staying in the military (I have 12 yrs left to get in my 20, counting my reserve time) but I haven't decided yet. And I'm finishing my biology degree through the Army. My background is in healthcare & animal medicine. let me know what other demographics you all need to better help me. I had someone suggest Evergreen. They stayed there once.

Thanks!

I did some work in a small town – Pagosa Springs. We're talking a really small town. After a few business trips there – I took my family there for a vacation and stayed in a cozy little cabin nestled in the hills. We talked about the possibility of moving there in our "what if" dreams - but the fact that we're getting older and have a daughter with special needs - a decent size city is more realistic for us.

Wishing you the best in figuring out your next move – and a hearty citizen's salute/prayers/thanks to you and all our troops

T-Bone

Edited by T-Bone

I've thought about staying in the military (I have 12 yrs left to get in my 20, counting my reserve time) but I haven't decided yet. And I'm finishing my biology degree through the Army. My background is in healthcare & animal medicine. let me know what other demographics you all need to better help me. I had someone suggest Evergreen. They stayed there once.

I have several friends who started out reserve, went active, finished out their 20 as full time guard or reservists. All finished degrees - none have any complaints. Your gig is your gig - just thought I'd tell ya about a few friends for whom staying in worked well.

I have several friends who started out reserve, went active, finished out their 20 as full time guard or reservists. All finished degrees - none have any complaints. Your gig is your gig - just thought I'd tell ya about a few friends for whom staying in worked well.

Rum, I'm starting to think it's a good gig myself too, LOL...have a captain morgan or 151 on me!

Rum, I'm starting to think it's a good gig myself too, LOL...have a captain morgan or 151 on me!

Roger that - I'll go with the Captain. When you rotate back holler and I'll buy you a drink - your choice.

Roger that - I'll go with the Captain. When you rotate back holler and I'll buy you a drink - your choice.

Sounds like a deal!

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like its gonna have to be Ft. Carson, if I want the Army to pay for it....Boulder was looking really good too. Oh, well. Maybe I can swing a deal somehow...

Whatever town you choose I heard on a news report or read just a week ago, can't remember which so as to cite the source, that Colorado folks are the healthiest in the country.

I hope they are friendly too!

Just made some *deals* & its now down to Fort Carson/Colorado Springs area or Boulder...which place has maximum mountains & wildlife??

• Upvote 1

Just made some *deals* & its now down to Fort Carson/Colorado Springs area or Boulder...which place has maximum mountains & wildlife??

I gotta go with Boulder. NCAR Mesa Lab has a large wildlife preserve surrounding it - plenty of walking trails with wildlife everywhere. Plenty of other good hiking and climbing - Boulder is stunningly beautiful.

I gotta go with Boulder. NCAR Mesa Lab has a large wildlife preserve surrounding it - plenty of walking trails with wildlife everywhere. Plenty of other good hiking and climbing - Boulder is stunningly beautiful.

Thanks Rum. I gotta figure out the distance from the two. I want to live off post. BTW, got my "unoffical" offical orders to ship in December. Gonna miss Christmas! that sucks!

Thanks Rum. I gotta figure out the distance from the two. I want to live off post. BTW, got my "unoffical" offical orders to ship in December. Gonna miss Christmas! that sucks!

Oh, and of course I haven't even deployed yet and my retention NCO is promissing me the world, LOL...I've been in long enough to know, "if it ain't in writing...it ain't" the E-6 promotion in the field will be nice though...LOL