GreaseSpot Cafe

ever run into ex-wayfers?

Bolshevik

• 3 weeks later...
'old wayfers just fade away' yes,devolop lives,get an education,realize

we dont need no stinkin ministry to be a part of something bigger.

Not all of them---an interesting thing just now happened to me which I am still processing.

Y'all know that I live in a very small town in the exact middle of nowhere so I never see exwayfers--A benefactor who has given homes and substantial amounts of money to the homeless shelter where I volunteer wanted to come to my stained glass shop for apiece of glass this morning...I normally dont like people coming in while I am working but made an exception for her.

She didnt know me from Adam or I her, I was getting her the glass and thanking her for her donations to the community when she sort of broke down and told me the horror tale of why she donates so much to help others...

Seems her daughter was in The Way International for 9 years, a corps grad who was booted under mysterious circumstances, never recovered, descended into alcoholism and took her own life. ---Needless to say we had alot to talk about

We spoke for about 90 minutes--about a lot of things--I am sure we will be getting together again sometime soon.

Thats about the only exwayfer story I have run into in many years.....figures it would be tragic

• Upvote 1

Not all of them---an interesting thing just now happened to me which I am still processing.

Y'all know that I live in a very small town in the exact middle of nowhere so I never see exwayfers--A benefactor who has given homes and substantial amounts of money to the homeless shelter where I volunteer wanted to come to my stained glass shop for apiece of glass this morning...I normally dont like people coming in while I am working but made an exception for her.

She didnt know me from Adam or I her, I was getting her the glass and thanking her for her donations to the community when she sort of broke down and told me the horror tale of why she donates so much to help others...

Seems her daughter was in The Way International for 9 years, a corps grad who was booted under mysterious circumstances, never recovered, descended into alcoholism and took her own life. ---Needless to say we had alot to talk about

We spoke for about 90 minutes--about a lot of things--I am sure we will be getting together again sometime soon.

Thats about the only exwayfer story I have run into in many years.....figures it would be tragic

Tragic in one way but probably heaven-sent from her perspective. I imagine meeting you might have felt like many of us finding a home here with the other misfit ex-wayfers. It's pretty cool that you reached out to her. You could have just let her go. Not everyone stops to help others.

JT

• Upvote 1

well what else are you going to do? I spent 10 or so years in and have been at GS for --well forever--She still has a lot of questions--and what else do I know this well? not too much.

I was just glad that she somehow wandered into my place and also just happened to bring up that story---maybe, just maybe I can do something to aid or comfort her--I know that I cant bring back her daughter so whatever she may get from me will be minimal compared to what she has already endured..If I can give something to her I am glad to do it

• Upvote 1

And so the effects of TWI continue to ripple out through the community. Poor woman.

You may be able to help her a lot but it may be wise not to go into too much detail, which could be even more distressing.

• Upvote 1