GreaseSpot Cafe

LEAD

hollyc

I was a kid in the corps and kinda remember (a long time ago) when corps had to hitchhike accross the county in 48 hours, with only $50 - then begin the LEAD training. Does anyone remember that? I know they stopped the hitchhiking part when it started to get dangerous, but kept the other part. What does LEAD stand for? I also can't remember the final test - was it being in the wilderness for 24 or 48 hours with no supplies?

thanks!

• Upvote 1

Hi, Holly

Here's a link to a rather lengthy thread (39 pages) that deals with some of the darker aspects of L.E.A.D.

Unfortunately, many of the dangerous aspects of L.E.A.D. were not abandoned when they came to light, as you will discover in reading the thread.

And there is this one, as well:

Edited by waysider
  • Upvote 1

Hi, Holly

Here's a link to a rather lengthy thread (39 pages) that deals with some of the darker aspects of L.E.A.D.

Unfortunately, many of the dangerous aspects of L.E.A.D. were not abandoned when they came to light, as you will discover in reading the thread.

And there is this one, as well:

Thanks! I just spend almost an hour reading the postings. OMG! As I read I began to remember some of the stories I heard a long time ago. Memory is so strange. Thanks again!

Thanks! I just spend almost an hour reading the postings. OMG! As I read I began to remember some of the stories I heard a long time ago. Memory is so strange. Thanks again!

Hi Holly...welcome.

I believe "LEAD" stood for Leadership, Education, Adventure, Direction, but my memory isn't what it used to be. :B)

The test you refer to was initially called the "solo," but later they changed it to "duo" to represent you and God. I did have some food that I'd saved...a bag of gorp and some other stuff. My duo was, I think, somewhere between 48 and 60 hours. They came for me in the nick of time, right after I stood up inside my "hootch" and knocked the whole thing down and just as it started to rain.

I was told afterwards that there were LEAD staff patroling the area where our hootches were, to make sure we were okay, so maybe they should have called it a "trio." :)

I like camping. I like the great outdoors. I did not like the rock climbing or the hiking with 50 lbs. of cooking utensils on my back.

They got rid of hitchhiking right after 1994--at least the hitchhiking to LEAD.

So---- The L.E.A.D. accident happened in 1982 but it took them until 1994 to end the hitchhiking.

Inexcusably callous and negligent.

And for anyone still following these morons, I think current "leadership" owes you an explanation of where they stood on the issue those 12 long years.

More LEAD threads.

"LEAD"

" Lead, Total Fitness Institute and John Summerville"

" The dangers of Lead"

But the first one Waysider linked, IMHO, was more relevant.

Although I had my say more in the thread I linked called "LEAD" than in the others, I think.

Not directly on LEAD, but related to things we were stupid enough to agree to, is this thread:

"Foolhardy behavior"

• Upvote 1

I never went LEAD but they were still having the corps hitch-hike to Light-Bearers through my last year in-rez (1990). We also hitch-hiked to Gunnison (a two day trip) to staff Family Camps that summer. It was during that little outing that I experienced the "ride from h*!!" and was glad to have made it off the dude's truck in one piece!!

From what I heard they only cancelled hitch-hiking because the laws about no pedestrians on highways were being more strictly enforced (unlike the 70s when 'everybody' hitch-hiked).

Yea, in the 70s, even the late 70s, we hitched a few times. During my first res year at Emporia (1977-78) we hitched to HQ and back. We had a certain time to get there, was it 48 hours? Anyway, in my group of 30, 20 of us made it to HQ on time, but 10 others did not and were sent back right away. I dunno what they did to anyone who was late getting back to Emporia, where would they send them?

In the fall of 1977, I think October, our bus to the Texas farm broke down shortly after leaving on the way back and we had to hitch the rest of the way back to Emporia during the night. I was so beat after I got back that morning that I worked an hour after lunch, hit the hay withough being ordered, got up just in time for dinner, and heard nothing more about it.

Then of course there was LEAD, in the fall of 1979 from HQ for me. No problems getting there. On the way back, I volunteered to be the odd one out; that is the one who had to hitch back without a partner. Got back on time on a late Saturday night and pulled a solo pantry raid. Anyway, to that point I had not heard of any problems anyone had hitching, other than not making it on time.

LEAD itself? Not much for me to testify about, I kind of liked it. My rock climbing test was supposed to be number 2 of 5 on the difficulty scale...it was really the hardest overall, except number one had this inverted ledge to get over that distinguished it. But the safety features were, to my untrained eye, pretty good.

I do remember our main LEAD person, a Canadian named Diane someone from 9th corps I think, carried the heat around, presumably for the snakes that were supposedly around, though I never saw or heard of any while I was there.