GreaseSpot Cafe

Whgat about WIndows 7 anyone heard anything

leafytwiglet

Hello any computer person out there

I broke down and got a laptop and it has choke gag Vistas on it and I can not get any other programs to load on it.

I hear windows 7 is out in a month ... any one heard any reviews on it yet?

Good bad

waste of time

Will it help fix my issues?

Or am I completely screwed!

• 3 months later...

Leafy - The only thing I haven't been able to load directly on Windows 7 are 16 bit programs. MS offers an XP mode virtual machine to take care of that issue. However, you must buy Windows 7 professional version to use the product as the xp mode product geared more toward the business user.

My experience with Vista is not all that extensive because I didn't want to deal with it in a business environment, but my experience is that you can't load programs on Vista with a "limited" account and I believe one of the main changes in Vista is that limited accounts are the default - once the administrator account is hidden. Some programs aren't smart enough to tell you that's the reason why they won't load.

So go into Control Panel and check your user account to see what kind of account it is - and borrow a dummies book about vista from the library - they really do help.

leafy, I saw in your profile that you are a student

if your school is in this site, get windows 7 pro for $50

I'm running it and it's worth it and beats vista big time.

It's an upgrade, so you have to have xp or Vista already on your computer.

But you can custom install to have windows 7 without the vista progams, if you want to. It will save your old operating system as windows.old, which you can delete later.

7 is faster then Vista or XP, smarter too.

Worth the trouble.

http://www.journeyed.com/select?sSRCCODE=SD122109

One thing about Windows 7 is, like its predecessors, it operates slower and slower the more apps/plugins/and other goodies you install on it. Maybe that's one continuous characteristic about Windows.

But overall, I'm glad I waited till 7 came out, thus skipping Vista.

does anyone know how i can get rid of this double window and how i can see my whole post?

thank you+

Excie,

As determined in other threads, it appears that IE7 has this "split reply window" problem. I don't know if an upgrade to IE8 will help. You can download Mozilla Firefox for free; it doesn't have the problem. Or try this "workaround": When your post gets to the top of that annoying toolbar, hit enter enough times to get the reply to start scrolling. That will move your reply up so that you can see more. Not perfect, but I do it if I'm here in IE7.

George

thank you, i know you told me that before. i'm just trying to get the hang of it

where do i hit enter?

where do i hit enter?

where do i hit enter?

where do i hit enter?

where do i hit enter?

where do i hit enter?

where do i hit enter?

where do i hit enter?

where do i hit enter?

where do i hit enter?

where do i hit enter?

where do i hit enter?

where do i hit enter?

where do i hit enter?

where do i hit enter?

where do i hit enter?

where do i hit enter?

where do i hit enter?

where do i hit enter?

where do i hit enter?

where do i hit enter?

where do i hit enter?

where do i hit enter?

where do i hit enter?

where do i hit enter?

where do i hit enter?

where do i hit enter?

where do i hit enter?

where do i hit enter?

oops

• 2 months later...

I'm running Windows 7 on my iMac and finding it's a very "XP-like" in the features. It's not as mind-bending as Vista seemed to be and is much more straight-forward. I think the joke about why Windows 7 has the name that it does went something like this: "It's named Windows 7 because 'At Least It's Not Vista' was too long to put on the package!" :biglaugh:

• 4 weeks later...

Update: I now have an Asus ACPI x64 based PC with a quad Intel Core i5 CPU, with 64 bit Windows 7 Pro on it, 8 gigs o memory, a 1 terabyte HD, ...

... AND AM LOVING IT!!! :dance:

The only thing I didn't like about it tho', was it's chicklet keyboard, which was *maddening*. :realmad: So I replaced it with my previous Logitech keyboard, ... and now am such a happy camper. :beer:

I purchased an HP dv8t laptop with 8GB RAM and the 256GB SSD + 500GG hard drive configuration with every bell and whistle, including Win7 Pro 64bit - set me back nearly 3K - and it's fabulous. I went pro to have the XP virtual machine, which is happily running the one program (stylewriter) that won't run in Win7. The two things I do not like about it is that the network access is much slower - seems to be a carryover from Vista, and the nVidia video card randomly becomes unresponsive and has to recover - another Vista carryover.