Do we say goodbye to polar bears

Please tell me someone cares

Don’t over hunt and over fish

Preserve the earth that we cherish

Don’t over hunt and over fish

Or we will all get sick and perish

Oh God people

Don’t throw no trash into the sea…

No no no don’t throw no trash into the sea…

Instrumental

Don’t drive your car to the mailbox

Better to walk there instead

Learn to recycle just ride a bicycle

No no no don’t drive your car to the mailbox

Don’t’ waste no water in the sink

Take a moment to think we live on the brink

There’ll be no water left to drink

Don’t waste no water in the sink

No artificial fertilizers

Big corporations become misers

People need to be wiser

No artificial fertilizers

Put on your gardens what’s organic

Or the earth will sink like the titanic

Oh God people

Don’t throw no trash into the sea

No no no

Long instrumental

Don’t dump no trash on the beach

The coral reefs start to bleach

No sewer pipe in the ocean

We’ve just got to get the notion

People don’t say that we can’t

A sewer pipe is not a plant

Oh God people

Support an earth that is green

Together we can keep the ocean clean.

Live life in simplicity

No no no

Listen to the earth cry

With too much smog in the sky

Angels can’t see where to fly

So people listen

Outro

RexRed (DRWW)

12/30/09

• 2 months later...

This last tsunami close call in Chili could very well have been the beginning of the end for the human race. I don't know if the governments of the world just keep silent so as not to cause mass panic. This discussion starts with a simple toothbrush. A clever invention that helps a human brush and maintain their dental hygiene. I don’t know if I am the only one who notices these things or if there is even a single solitary person who has considered this anomaly other than the scientist in the big toothbrush manufacturing industries who make them and ship them from China to the dollar store.

What got me thinking about it is a tiny trash can in my bathroom full of toothbrushes. My logic was going to the dollar store and noticing the 5 toothbrushes for a dollar deal. I thought, now I don’t have to buy the expensive 3 and 4 dollar toothbrushes any more so I bought three packages, that is 15 toothbrushes for three dollars. I figured they would last me a year. They even came with travel caps so I could throw one in my gym bag and take one to the gym with me.

Well this is not the first time I have bought these tooth brushes. At the dollar store the come in several shapes, sizes and colors. The old adage one size fits every mouth apparently does not apply here. I really saw these attempts at size and shape not as giving the consumer a choice to find the toothbrush that is right for a certain person but the designers attempt back at the manufacturing toothbrush plant to keep redesigning a handle that would eventually come out with an optimum shape that would fit every mouth in the world comfortably. Thus in the end there would only need to be one type of toothbrush made.

Considering I will not be needing five covers to cover all five tooth brushes because I can simply wash one of the covers and use that over and over again. If I had five children and each one of them went to the gym and needed a cover then things would have been different. So the covers were the first thing that sparked my attention as wasteful. After I use five toothbrushes I can throw away five covers with them that will simply end up in landfill of floating out to sea. Since there are so many different shaped toothbrushes then the one cover fits all rule does not really apply.

In their previous toothbrush designs I noticed a problem. I would be brushing my teeth and I am quite a strong person and the toothbrush handle would snap off in my hand leaving me to jab my gums with the fractured plastic spear left from the broken handle. I reasoned that this was because back in the factory they had skimped out on the plastic hardener. Plastic needs a certain perfect balance of hardener to make the brush have the right amount of malleability versus strength. So I saw this as the manufacturers skimping out on the hardener to, err, make a buck…

(This reminds me that about ten years ago this practice was still going on. I was at Wal Mart and I saw some large plastic cups for sale for a dollar each. At the time I was raising young children and they were constantly dropping the thin glasses we were getting McDonalds at the time. The thin glasses would hit the floor and shatter into a million pieces. So I bought 5 of the plastic cups figuring they would last, well, a hundred years… When I got one home one of the children knocked one off the table and it shattered into a hundred tiny fragments. Again the manufacturers left out the needed amount of hardener to simply make a buck on the consumer.)

Yet the toothbrushes seemed to morph in shape and design over time. Since the packaging changed a bit and the look of the toothbrushes shape changed I decided to try them again at the risk of slicing my gums open. At the sake of the environment where I imagined millions of discarded toothbrush covers swirling around in the pacific ocean the dollar deal still lead me back in to the bargain.

So I noticed they had improved the design of the toothbrush handle it was more slender less plastic and finally there was enough hardener. I could torque the toothbrush and it simply would not bend like rubber nor break like glass. I thought, well finally a great consumer product. I was glad for a day or so that I had purchased 15 toothbrushes even though I considered the toothbrush covers an unnecessary expense to the environment. Then I noticed the second problem. Back at the dollar store I looked for medium bristles and they only offering was soft bristles.

I wondered, why? Then as I began to use the toothbrushes I figured it out. I brushed my teeth with one of the toothbrushes and the next day I was appalled, I picked up the toothbrush and the bristles of the brush were nothing but a rats nest. Again the manufacturers had not added enough hardener. So the hardener that they saved from making the handles more slender and durable they “cleverly” left out of the plastic for the bristles. I use the word cleverly because in reading the back of the package I noticed the words written that, dentists suggest we replace our toothbrush once a month…

Not once a day! I now have a trash can full of useless worthless toothbrushes. They could be recycled but no one is knocking on my door to collect them… There must be several million sold I know I bought 15...

It is a tiny trash can about one foot in height and in the trashcan is an empty toilet paper roll (biodegradable), An old shaver (something for the land fill) Some soap paper wrappers, An empty shampoo bottle and 15 rats nest toothbrushes and covers… Is there something wrong with that picture?

This is where we turn to the tsunami I mentioned earlier… I have discussed at length the two and nearing three swirling plastic dumps the size of France and Spain floating in the pacific. Well this last false tsunami call could have conceivably brought on the end of life on this planet.

Had the earthquake generated a big enough tsunami it may have sent these whirling plastic nebula out of their seemingly docile spin and distributed them uniformly throughout the ocean.

Think of the earth like a human heart or the vascular blood system of the human body. When you have a clot you die. Well the currents of the earth flow though the various channels, inclines declines and bottlenecks in much the same way. Were this plastic to disperse it would act like a type of blood thickener and would eventually bring the earths currents to a halt. Besides wrecking the seasonal harvesting because marine life would die from the global dispersal of this trash. All so we can have 5 toothbrushes with caps for a dollar.

I would rather pay three dollars for a toothbrush that lasts three months and after a month just pour isopropyl alcohol on it and it is like new… Also if one buys toothpaste with mouthwash in it that does the same thing and also freshens breath. There are also now these ridiculous toothbrush covers for each one and the other model at the dollar store had actual plastic toothbrush holders… How ridiculous and flagrantly wasteful to assume someone needs 5 plastic toothbrush carrying cases for a tooth brush that is gone after one brushing…

There absolutely no concern whatsoever by the manufacturing industry for the problem mounting in the ocean due to their wasteful and careless “ingenuity”… I mean no offense to the Chinese and I love China and do not fault the whole for the actions of a few… I am sure the exact same practices happen here in the USA too... I will continue to buy products manufactured in China, but the next tsunami off the eastern coast of the American continent might just carry this trash back to their shores where much of it came from… And what is the irony in that? Or the next tsunami may just disperse the entire rubble and we could end up with a world wide catastrophe.

Now a while back I suggested sending nuclear powered barges the size of aircraft carriers to the trash swirls in the ocean equipped with plastic recycling facilities on them. I just wonder had there been a tsunami if that might also have doomed some sort of fleet sent to clean up the rubble. Would 12 to 24 hours have been enough time for them to recover to safety?

Then I also was puzzled by the tsunami scientist’s inability to predict where the tsunami would occur and the magnitude thereof. This leads to another problem. Well maybe it is headed for Hawaii, or maybe Japan or maybe Australia… They might just as well said it is headed out and away and been more accurate… Perhaps it is hard to predict a tsunami that doesn’t actually “materialize” but given all of the earth sensors and the billions of dollars spent to ready the world for tsunamis it seems a wide prediction for such supposed high tech sensors.

I just recently read an article that HP intends to strap the earth with a several billion microprocessor chips and harness connected to super brain cpu’s to collect earth feedback. They said it was to help make the earth greener. Then the second part of the article talks about one of the unexpected benefits of this supposed “green” project is Shell Oil (irony their logo is a sea shell) funding this project so they can find more oil faster with less preliminary exploratory holes needing to be drilled. Well that is great, litter the world with more discarded computers that are already sitting at the bottom of the mercury filled ocean un recycled and more microchips to get stuck in the throats of fish and birds so we can find more oil and cloud up the air supply with even more CO2…

Is there something wrong with this picture or is this just me? It seems corporations have no concern whatsoever for the consequences of what they decide in their board meetings. They have this dollar store mentality. There is no ecological adviser on the board asking the question, would flooding the earth with a billion microchips cause greater harm to the environment than just simply cleaning it up the mess already and finding a way to mass produce hydrogen and electricity to fuel vehicles? To spend billions to flood the earth with microprocessors is that really the answer to the energy and global warming crisis?

I say produce hydrogen at the equatorial regions and use excess sunlight to do it. This will have many multiple benefits… It diverts the heat from the sun directed at the earth significantly reducing global warming directed by the sun at the earth’s core. It also produces enough hydrogen by using the sun’s energy to create hydrogen in order to fuel most automobiles.

We need the remaining oil left on this planet to make efficient solar collectors cells at the equator and not to be burnt by consumers in their automobiles. Isaac Asimov said we should use oil to light the lamp and not as the fuel burning in the lamp…

First they flood there earth with plastic worthless toothbrushes covers and carrying cases and don’t lift a single finger to clean it up and now they are going to flood it with microchips? This is utter madness… and the consumers will pay for this with mass extinction if we do not put a stop to it.

Putting sensors in the ocean to detect a tsunamis would not have stopped the earthquake and people still had 12 to 24 hours to get out of its way. A simple phone call or text message (even Morse Code) warning them in the various countries to evacuate the beach areas would have sufficed.

Consumers need to demand that the manufacturing corporations develop a toothbrush to comb the waters and clean up the bad smile on this planet because the earths breath (air) is filled with the putrid stench of CO2 from these plastics and petroleum automobile emissions. The earth’s teeth are falling out and the decay is ruining the earth’s health with heart disease. This global warming is caused by the very oil they want to hook the earth up sensors to discover more of. I say, leave it in the ground till we can use it more wisely. We don’t need sensors to know the earth is cooking and choking to death… LOOK AT THE TRASH it is sitting on the skin of the ocean like an open wound or an ugly boil.

The prognosis is 100 years before these plastics break down and what will the earth’s toxic levels read once these gasses have been released from these plastics and are filtering through the ocean we obtain sustenance from and the air we breathe? And we need quicker ways to find more oil? These same ecologists assured us the coral reefs were fine and look at them now? They want to build an ark to preserve their DNA. I say too little too late! We are taking a toxin from the ground and releasing it into our air supply sooner or later the fragile ecological chain is going to break.

Had there been a major tsunami we might be waking up to a global disaster with this plastic clogging very major artery of the oceanic currents of the globe. Must we find more of the oil that is drilled up and left discarded floating on the surface of the ocean. How about making things that last? Once these manufacturers have made their buck they feel no responsibility to use part of that buck to collect their old discarded toothbrushes sitting in my trashcan and the unneeded covers. Do consumers really need a disposable toothbrush that is designed to only lasts one day?

Did someone sit in on a manufacturing marketing team board and say, we are not selling toothbrushes fast enough, make them cheaper, make them break in your hand, include worthless covers and storage bottles, distract people from the real truth by cautioning them to change their toothbrush once a month… make them with less hardener and make the bristles turn into a rats nest in one day. Did they go home feeling proud of their marketing accomplishments? Is the world a better and brighter place because of their ideas and innovations? Consumers need a change… The earth needs a break. We need to use the sun that is outside of our earth and stop using the earth itself as if we are cannibals and viruses, blood sucking and invading our own host…

Look what we've done to your earth ma

Look what we've done to your earth ma

We manufactured plastic

of every shape and size

and floated it out to sea ma

Look what we've done to your earth...

DrWearWord (AKA RexRed) 3/1/2010 (my own verse for a Melanie song)

Edited by DrWearWord

We need to use the sun that is outside of our earth and stop using the earth itself as if we are cannibals and viruses, blood sucking and invading our own host…

It would be a good start if people stopped buying useless disposable crap.

Manufacturers and corporations would not make 20 cent toothbrushes or the other trillion useless disposable things if consumers didnt buy them.

You get what you pay for-that includes dirty Oceans and rivers to dispose of YOUR stuff.

It can be reversed ---Pete Seeger cleaned up one of the filthiest rivers in the country -The Hudson in New York--(Clearwater Foundation)-but it takes individuals who are willing to change the way that they live

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

It would be a good start if people stopped buying useless disposable crap.

Manufacturers and corporations would not make 20 cent toothbrushes or the other trillion useless disposable things if consumers didnt buy them.

You get what you pay for-that includes dirty Oceans and rivers to dispose of YOUR stuff.

It can be reversed ---Pete Seeger cleaned up one of the filthiest rivers in the country -The Hudson in New York--(Clearwater Foundation)-but it takes individuals who are willing to change the way that they live

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

What would you suggest is an alternative for using a toothbrush?

It is not like I use plastic forks and I do recycle plastics I don't personally go and toss them into the sea either.

I just didn't expect them to be only worth one or maybe two brushings.

So I learned my lesson and that is why I didn't just toss them out but I went online and spoke out and you seem to take issue with that.

It took me over an hour to write that up and publish it and maybe I should have gone out and played golf instead...

If someone asked me for a donation to clean up a river I would dig deep into my pockets.

I also voted against the racinos they wanted to build on Moosehead Lake here in Maine...

That is all we need is a bunch of drunk down and out gamblers traversing the pristine state here in Maine... littering their loser lottery tickets everywhere and tossing their spent "travel" toothbrushes into the sea.

Thanks for the Pete Seeger piece I admire him very much. :) Checking out the clearwater link now THANKS!

Edited by DrWearWord

What would you suggest is an alternative for using a toothbrush?

Green Toothbrush - and no, it's not about the color...

I also voted against the racinos they wanted to build on Moosehead Lake here in Maine...

I take it you're from Maine - I grew up in Sanford. I'm now living in NH, at the foot of the biggest lake in New England. We have warrant article on this year's ballot to clean the milfoil out of the lake, which you may have heard of - but anyhow, the local marinas are pitching in on the cleanup effort and it's big $$$. My town only has to raise about $7K to help with the $29K clean up bill. It's really heartwarming to see the united businesses helping the lake!

Rock Creek, just north of DC, the "Wild Place" where I spent as much time as I could from the time I was about six, fishing, catching critturs (frogs, snakes, tadpoles, turtles, salamanders, etc.), and just enjoying The Big Woods as I called it. You fellow Alaskans (I have this posted at my Face Book page also) can no doubt see why I traded that area for the crystal clear ice cold waters of our Home here. So sad to see how incredibly filthy that creek is. There was trash and pollution back then when I was a kid, but it was long before the advent of plastic bags and containers. Probably was a fine little stream back when the Algonquins lived there. My good old Rock Creek....

15167_1189757707716_1341552700_30595113_6592136_n.jpg

Edited by ClayJay