GreaseSpot Cafe

Working for "Believer" businesses

potato

this has been on my mind for a while. my ex worked for 3 different leader-owned businesses over the course of our marriage.

the first one was fine. he worked for very little but the leader's goal was to teach him how to go off and be a self-employed window washer, not an employee. that was back around 1990.

the second was awful. my ex went to work for him under the table for really low pay, then the leader got relocated and "sold" his window washing business to my ex, but would come back to the area without notice to do the lucrative jobs. basically he made my ex pay to have the customer then didn't let him do the work to earn what he was supposed to get. my ex put up with it for a year and made excuses for the leader.

the third was worse yet. long hours, dangerous working conditions, lots of injuries that were blamed on lack of believing, and NO HEALTH INSURANCE. oh, and my ex was told that they could afford to pay him more (pay was about 60% of state average in a high cost-of-living area) but that they couldn't see the point because the government would just take it for taxes, and they also felt that they paid enough that we could get our own self-insurance. meanwhile they used corporate funds to build and furnish a 5,000 s.f. home for themselves. they pressured the wives of their employees to go get jobs so we could all be more abundant (or to fatten up the ABS contributions... I always kind of felt there was a TWI mandate to force both spouses to work whenever possible to increase ABS).

I've worked a lot of crap jobs, but expectations when working for "believer" businesses were so much higher while pay and benefits seemed so much lower than I generally found outside of TWI, plus people outside of TWI wouldn't dream of being as verbally abusive to their employees as the third TWI employer was.

did anyone else end up with the same impression?

Edited by potato

a prominent corps couple once tried to get my wife and I to move in with another couple, who were "rent to owning" a home. We were to pay rent of course . . . and teach them how to clean it. (By example I assume).

maybe not a job . . . but not a fair deal anyway