GreaseSpot Cafe

Dr. Bronner's Magic Soapbox

Jim

http://magicsoapbox.com/doc/

Watched the documentary on Sundance channel. I noticed the following things that our "Dr" had in common with Dr. Bronner:

Son of Germanic immigrants

Self-proclaimed doctor

Believed he had a special ministry from God

Recruited and housed hippies for employees

Thousands of hours of preaching on tape

Exposed himself to female employees

Bad eyes

I suspect I missed more.

At least his soap is good.

That would be interesting to see, I'll watch out for it. Ive always enjoyed reading the bottle 'To Unite All Mankind! All ONE!" :)

I spent a few times in the 70's reading through the entire bottle --It would be interesting to find out more about him...

I dont know what it is about soapmakers. For the last few years Ive been buying "Miracle Soap". The founder claims to have gotten direct revelation for the recipe, <_< listed in the ingredients on the side includes "numinous energy" and "unlimited spiritual understanding" :biglaugh: I dont know exactly what that is-- but It IS really good soap and also makes for an interesting story

I think Dr. Bronner edged out Mr. Wierwille in the "incomprehensible blatherings" department. Though VPW was pretty adept in that as well.

But what is it with religious gimps and sexual predation? It seems like almost a given that most any religious "leader" is going to have some serious skeletons in the closet in that regard. Odd...

And, yeah, I guess the soap is "good". But, exactly what does that mean? I now buy "Ivory" soap by the economy-sized bagfull and don't note any deficiencies in the performance of that. It doesn't have any heavy fragrance or overly harsh alkali "burn" to it though. Is that the difference? Just wondering...

And, yeah, I guess the soap is "good". But, exactly what does that mean? I now buy "Ivory" soap by the economy-sized bagfull and don't note any deficiencies in the performance of that. It doesn't have any heavy fragrance or overly harsh alkali "burn" to it though. Is that the difference? Just wondering...

My wife and I have used it since the early 70's. We buy a gallon at a time, cut it half and half with water and put it in a 2 gallon dispenser in the laundry room. Lasts about 6 months, and it's the best liquid soap that I've found. Mixing a little Bronner's with a little powdered Boraxo works great for greasy mechanic's hands. Mixed 10:1 in a spray bottle it works good for cleaning counters and stuff. I don't know, call us brainwashed.

Yeah, I guess I'm just trying to determine what the criteria are for what constitutes a "good" soap. Just about any soap I've ever used seemed to work fine. I don't like the ones that are heavily scented or that have slimey lotion additive, but as far as just getting myself clean, I don't think I've ever encountered a soap that didn't work well in that regard.

No big deal really, the concept just sorta struck me funny when I thought about it a bit...

(snip)

But what is it with religious gimps and sexual predation? It seems like almost a given that most any religious "leader" is going to have some serious skeletons in the closet in that regard. Odd...

(snip)

Seems to me it depends on WHY they got involved and what they're doing.

I've met a number of religious leaders I thought were eminently trustworthy-

and still are-

and Billy Graham, despite being very famous, went out of his way to avoid problems

in that department, to the point of never being alone with any woman not his wife,

not even for the minute it would take to ride an elevator with her.

:offtopic: We made our own laundry soap out of Fels Naptha soap, washing soda and borax. I used this recipe: homemade laundry soap .

Makes 5 gallons at a time, lasts forever. Cleans just great and no one in the family is has skin reactions (3 family members get excema from laundry detergents). Did I mention CHEAP? About $3 for 5 gallons. Ace Hardware will order us the Fel Naptha soap so we don't have to pay shipping, the rest we can find in town.

Be careful when trying to use homemade formulas with low water usage (such as front loader) washing machines. They require h.e (high efficiency) formulated detergents. These detergents have, among other things, suds inhibitors and suspension agents. Using standard detergents will confuse the on-board computers and can ultimately damage the main bearing, due to sludge build-up around the bearing.----- Very costly repair!!