GreaseSpot Cafe

My gift to Grease Spot.

OldSkool

The entire organization is not incorporated in AZ. The main US branch is incorporated in OH. You can obtain this same report from there, albeit not online and it costs $$.

The AZ filing is to maintain a non-profit bookstore there. To do that they need to file a basic P/L or balance sheet.

Thanks Chockful I believe you, but I couldn't find a filing in Ohio. All organizations, non-profit or otherwise are supposed to be listed on the Secretary of State's website. I'm just curious. If you happen to have an answer that would be great, if you don't, that's fine too.

Anyway, someone suggested the cost of settling the Allen lawsuit could be calculated by comparing different financial statements. I don't think so, the information listed here is pretty vague. I believe we would need to see either a P/L statement or an earnings statement.

Thanks Chockful I believe you, but I couldn't find a filing in Ohio. All organizations, non-profit or otherwise are supposed to be listed on the Secretary of State's website. I'm just curious. If you happen to have an answer that would be great, if you don't, that's fine too.

Anyway, someone suggested the cost of settling the Allen lawsuit could be calculated by comparing different financial statements. I don't think so, the information listed here is pretty vague. I believe we would need to see either a P/L statement or an earnings statement.

My understanding of incorporation is that it is only done in one state. Arizona may have been chosen due to the ease of incorporating a not-for-profit compared to other states, or because it was not an obvious choice - like Ohio. The original filing is in Ohio. All the others that I've looked up, except California, are registered as foreign entities, including Arizona (whose wording is confusing to the casual reader). California's entry looks like someone was on something when it was filed.

Just an FYI, not-for-profits are REQUIRED to provide 3 years of federal tax filings to anyone who asks for a reasonable fee. Not-for-profits are encouraged by the feds to have public financial disclosure statements.

Edited by Tzaia

Here's the link to the Secretary of State of Ohio filing page:

http://www2.sos.state.oh.us/pls/portal/PORTAL_BS.BS_QRY_BUS_FILING_DET.SHOW?p_arg_names=charter_num&p_arg_values=204759

On the Allen lawsuit, I understood that liability insurance they had on the Forehead covered this, minus a deductable. However, there was a subsequent breach of contract lawsuit TWI filed after the Barnes lawsuit because their insurance company dropped them like a hot potato after the Allen lawsuit.

Edited by chockfull

My understanding of incorporation is that it is only done in one state. Arizona may have been chosen due to the ease of incorporating a not-for-profit compared to other states, or because it was not an obvious choice - like Ohio.

Just an FYI, not-for-profits are REQUIRED to provide 3 years of federal tax filings to anyone who asks for a reasonable fee. Not-for-profits are encouraged by the feds to have public financial disclosure statements.

From my understanding they do not do this in every state, but in some states their state bookstore is a seperate incorporated entity. This allows locals to purchase books without paying sales tax.

From my understanding they do not do this in every state, but in some states their state bookstore is a seperate incorporated entity. This allows locals to purchase books without paying sales tax.

That's really not the way it works. As an incorporated entity that offers goods as well as services, I am required by law to collect sales tax for the state I'm incorporated with for any taxable goods. I'm not required to collect tax for out-of-state sales. A business can operate in another state as a "foreign" entity and thereby collect sales tax in that state on behalf of that state. If the bookstores are operating as separate legal entities from TWI, the only reason why I can see that happening is it is easier to do so in that particular state, not to avoid collecting/paying state sales tax. TWI is an active foreign entity in every state I've looked up so far, except California, where it is acting as a DBA. What I cannot find is any registration in Ohio, which makes sense. (thanks, chockfull)

As an entity, I don't pay tax on any items purchased for resale, but I do have to give my reseller's tax ID to do so. Anyone who is tax-exempt has to present a tax-exempt form, which is kept on file.

Every document I've pulled up (so far) has coincided with the Arizona incorporation in 1980.

Another sidebar worth noting - TWI carefully worded its classes (complete with books) as "donations" to not only avoid paying state sales taxes on the books, which were included as part of the cost of the class, but to allow people who itemize to write off purchases as charitable contributions. This is standard operating procedure in church organizations.

Edited by Tzaia

That's really not the way it works. As an incorporated entity that offers goods as well as services, I am required by law to collect sales tax for the state I'm incorporated with for any taxable goods. I'm not required to collect tax for out-of-state sales. A business can operate in another state as a "foreign" entity and thereby collect sales tax in that state on behalf of that state. If the bookstores are operating as separate legal entities from TWI, the only reason why I can see that happening is it is easier to do so in that particular state, not to avoid collecting/paying state sales tax. TWI is an active foreign entity in every state I've looked up so far, except California, where it is acting as a DBA. What I cannot find is any registration in Ohio, which makes sense. (thanks, chockfull)

As an entity, I don't pay tax on any items purchased for resale, but I do have to give my reseller's tax ID to do so. Anyone who is tax-exempt has to present a tax-exempt form, which is kept on file.

Every document I've pulled up (so far) has coincided with the Arizona incorporation in 1980.

Another sidebar worth noting - TWI carefully worded its classes (complete with books) as "donations" to not only avoid paying state sales taxes on the books, which were included as part of the cost of the class, but to allow people who itemize to write off purchases as charitable contributions. This is standard operating procedure in church organizations.

I only have anecdotal information. I do know that in AZ at an event I did not pay sales tax on bookstore purchases. I do know that in another state I did. When I asked about it that's what I was told. I can only surmise that AZ has different non-profit state laws that make it compelling for TWI to register there as a corporate entity, but not in other states. It is pretty clear from the Ohio Sec. of State documents that they are incorporated in OH, and their main entity has not switched over to AZ incorporation in 1980.

I only have anecdotal information. I do know that in AZ at an event I did not pay sales tax on bookstore purchases. I do know that in another state I did. When I asked about it that's what I was told. I can only surmise that AZ has different non-profit state laws that make it compelling for TWI to register there as a corporate entity, but not in other states. It is pretty clear from the Ohio Sec. of State documents that they are incorporated in OH, and their main entity has not switched over to AZ incorporation in 1980.

Like I backtracked earlier - it's clear that Ohio is the state of origin. It looks like all the other states (that I looked up so far) became foreign entities between 1980-82. Arizona doesn't have a sales tax that is paid by the consumer. Vendors are taxed on gross receipts, so the taxes are built into the price of the goods. That is how gasoline is sold in my particular state, which was a godsend when that change was enacted.

Edited by Tzaia

Here's the link to the Secretary of State of Ohio filing page:

http://www2.sos.state.oh.us/pls/portal/PORTAL_BS.BS_QRY_BUS_FILING_DET.SHOW?p_arg_names=charter_num&p_arg_values=204759

Thanks! Don't know why I couldn't find it before.

On the Allen lawsuit, I understood that liability insurance they had on the Forehead covered this, minus a deductable. However, there was a subsequent breach of contract lawsuit TWI filed after the Barnes lawsuit because their insurance company dropped them like a hot potato after the Allen lawsuit.

The Barnes Lawsuit? I hadn't heard of that. Can someone tell me where I can get some information about that>

The Barnes Lawsuit? I hadn't heard of that. Can someone tell me where I can get some information about that>

It was a secondary lawsuit filed after the Allen lawsuit. January Barnes Parker - Barnes was her married name - she was a cute blond. They were on staff at HQ - her first husband Gary Barnes was the Rock of Ages coordinator for many years. She was a stewardess. Forehead had a relationship with her. They filed a lawsuit alleging quid pro quo sexual harrassment, which was more than a hostile environment as it was alleged it was in exchange for advancement in position of employment or a condition of employment. As it followed the Allen suit closely, Rosalie was already primed for payouts. Their marriage split up over it, and she remarried. I'm not sure what happened to Gary after all that, although suffice it to say he left the Way over all that. This lawsuit didn't have near the publicity or focus the Allen lawsuit did. But it was another in a long string of similar patterns.