GreaseSpot Cafe

Time Life Magazine, that Groovy Lady on the Cover?

teachmevp

I met Kris in 1976 in Bloomington, Indiana. Two of my very close friends had taken PFAL and one was out WOW and the other one moved to Bloomington for school and to convince me to take PFAL.

One afternoon, my friend convinced me to attend a bible meeting at the Indiana Memorial Union and I reluctantly agreed to go. The girl who was teaching that day was Kris. Until that time, I really had not seen anyone teach the Bible with knowledge and enthusiasm like she did.

The teaching that day in the fall of 1976 was on Overcoming Fear. I had one question after she finished her teaching....."If I take this class called PFAL will I be able to teach the Bible......like her?"

It was an exciting time to be involved in The Way in Bloomington Indiana in 1976. Kris was a major reason it was like that(she was the branch coordinator). The next year she left Bloomington,Indiana and entered the Way Corps.

I would like to say ....from personal experience....there are MANY people including me, that know the Bible better because of her. I have read her book about some of the unfortunate things that happened to her in The Way. However, whenever I think of her, I remember her love for God, her love for others, her smiling face, and the wonderful times we and other saints including (Sylvia, Nan, Peggy, Stu, Rudy, Tim, Sandi, Joan, Beth, Karen, Nick, Jim, Tina, Renee, Bill, Liz, David and more)had that 1976 year.

God bless you Kris.....your have inspired many others including me!

Gary

Thanks so much for sharing that with me, that women walked the word, without saying a word, she was a great influence on my life; it rips my heart out reading your peoples stories, I couldn't handle reading her book.

One teaching I heard in her living room one night, inspired me to research the beginning of the first heaven and earth and the second heaven and earth, I tried to tell the story to work it out, the roots of that work came from the heart of that woman's house, pretty cool stuff.

Edited by teachmevp

Chas - LOL!!!!! Actually, alas, I cannot show you my Girl Scout card because I got thrown out. Yes I did. I did earn quite a few merit badges though :)

Teachme, I was at the fellowship where that pic of Kris was taken and put on the cover of Life. I was with two of my high school friends, we were in Tim Bishop's living room and the photographer was snapping away while Steve Heefner was teaching. I was sitting just 2 or 3 people away from Kris. We all thought we'd be in Life Magazine!!!! You must realize, that back then, being in Life is like an appearance on American Idol today - it was a huge deal. It was America's magazine. Imagine everyone's disappointment when none of us except Kris were in the pics. I think there were a couple of other shots from the living room twig, but none of most of the fellowship. Also, remember, those "little" twigs routinely had 30 or more kids crammed in the living room, so there was lots to photograph.

I keep meaning to respond to your doctrinal thread, I will. Its just been busy.

Oh, yes, my avatar scares the guys and keeps them in line down in the basement in the political forum :)

Edited by Sunesis
  • Upvote 3

That would have been cool to have been there, I had no business going to twig at her house, but she keep putting forth the hand, even after I asked her husband to rearrange that rise and expansion of the church class thing, so I could go see Judas Priest, I am glad I got to see those two duel lead guitar players, sometimes I wonder if I should have taken that class, not.

Edited by teachmevp

Oh, yes, my avatar scares the guys and keeps them in line down in the basement in the political forum :)

the avatar.. what in the h is it?

:biglaugh:

maybe I'm out of touch or something.. doesn't relate to any images I've seen in the last twenty years..

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome Pax! Its always nice to meet another Groovy Christian of Rye! I had just turned 16 and got the money as a birthday present to take the class with. I always enjoy other people's memories of that time. There have been some amazing threads over the years about that time and the people who were there.

Sunesis,

I was sitting on the floor

to the left of the kid with long blond hair

in that Life Mag. photo taken in the Lowery's living room.

I'm still in touch with just about every Rye dude/dudette in that photo/article

except poor, sad, nutty CG.

He was clearly nuts even then...

I knew it...

not sure everyone else did....

I guess Victor didn't

or didn't care.

Of course, Victor was pathetically mentally screwy too.

I hope he enjoyed the money...

and the power

and the adulation

and the young women

we have the advantage of being able to reject his

HORRIBLE

HORRIBLE

untrue-in-almost-every-way

teachings

and a shot at a truly abundant life.

I'm confident that Victor rots in hell

for violating the sacred trust given religious leaders

vis-a-vis their followers

-- I'm SORRY if Wierwille children are reading --

I know that's why a lot of others don't/won't

curse the butt head.....

but it needs to be expressed....

he was a false profit...

a huckster....

a con-artist....

a reprobate..

a liar....

a scumandadouche bag

maybe he was a good father ...

hope so

(edited to substitute "butt head" for a term that the forum automatically censors)

Edited by Pax

I dunno. I would say to this.. what kind of inheritance did he really provide for them..

there is the faction that ran long and far from new knoxville..

and those who never found "home"..

some desperately try to find home and sustenance by resurrecting his stinking ministry..

good father? You tell me..

just a few thoughts..

curse the butt head.....

hope so

You could always email one of the sons in Mississippi and ask him. He's currently trying to resurrect "The Way Corps Principles" with a new venture called S.O.W.E.R.S.

Edited by waysider

Ha!.. would have been better off with a meal of beans..

Rock of Ages.. 1974..

it's one of those memories..

you're driving down the road..

the creature appears. You look it square in the face..

and it will never know, you had it's life in your hands..

I hope it got something out of it.. maybe laid or something by some stupid local it impressed..

except poor, sad, nutty CG.

He was clearly nuts even then...

I knew it...

not sure everyone else did....

I guess Victor didn't

or didn't care.

Of course, Victor was pathetically mentally screwy too.

I hope he enjoyed the money...

and the power

and the adulation

and the young women

we have the advantage of being able to reject his

HORRIBLE

HORRIBLE

untrue-in-almost-every-way

teachings

and a shot at a truly abundant life.

I'm confident that Victor rots in hell

for violating the sacred trust given religious leaders

vis-a-vis their followers

curse the butt head.....

he was a false profit...

a huckster....

a con-artist....

a reprobate..

a liar....

a scumandadouche bag

hope so

(edited to substitute "butt head" for a term that the forum automatically censors)

this was a good post. hello good poster pax

ps. sunesis knew he was a nutjob

oh and veepee always gave her heebies jeebies from the get-go

--

he wasn't a good father, but that's from me, not sunesis :)