GreaseSpot Cafe

Gridiron Wisdom

Broken Arrow

It's that time of year again when Americans turn on their televisions to watch good ol' rough and tumble American Football. Part of this wonderful tradition is the U.S. Sports Media who love to "analyze" and ask their analytical, intelligent questions. I've come to the conclusion that the media and football coaches have entered into a secret agreement, and that covertly all coaches have gone through some sort of course on how to answer these "astute questions".

So, astute reporters have developed no less than a thousand and one ways to ask, "What do you need to do to win?" There is only one answer which is, "We need to score more points than they do." But that is so boring. So coaches have developed a thousand and one ways to answer this question. Here is a case in point that happened just today. BTW, I'm an Ohio State Buckeye fan, but it can be any school or even NFL team. I'll be mostly picking on Ohio State.

Reporter: "Coach, Indiana had a losing season last year, but they lost 4 or 5 games by less than a touchdown. What would you say to their coach?"

Earle Bruce (retired OSU Head Football Coach): "I would say to him that he needs to do one of 2 things. Either score more points on offense, or allow less points to be scored on defense. Losing by 5 points is still losing."

He really said that, and he said it with such confidence! How profound!