GreaseSpot Cafe

Stopping Family Time Again

cman

Ohio State in Columbus would have been a better choice, or Capital University in nearby Berkly(with Trinity Seminary, but maybe they thought it was full of voodoo, lol) or Wittenburg. But since the last 2 are Lutheran, the institutions might have nixed any plans. btw, what was the manifestation emphasis for that Saturday(or was there any)?

Edited by Thomas Loy Bumgarner

There are many more facilities and cities that were better suited to handle a huge crowd like that. I'm not sure what TWI was thinking when they picked OU.

I'm sure they got a better deal from OU. OU was in dire financial straights at the time.

Edited by Broken Arrow

You're right BA, I remember - didn't all the unmarried students have to live in dorms for the first year or two?

Perhaps Ohio State would indeed have been a better choice or Capital (Bexley, not Berkely) but they had plenty of money.

Athens was an interesting place. There was a population of 10% exchange students, many from the middle east. One time (perhaps BA remembers)some of them organized a protest march is support of Ayatollah Khomeini, who had captured the US Embassy and was holding hostages. Unfortunately for them, their route passed by a row of fraternity houses, and a melee ensued. Then there was "The Wall" a site where individuals could unofficially paint graffiti messages for all to see.

And that strange smell of leaves burning wafting through the air on Friday and Saturday nights...Halloween downtown...

It was a long time ago, but an interesting experience to live there.